• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Grade II Listed Buildings – Why Not?
  • fbk
    Free Member

Oh great font of STW knowledge, I’m after a bit of advice….

We’re thinking of buying a Grade II listed building (16th century timber cruck framed cottage). It’s obviously been looked after and seems in great shape considering. I’ve done a fair bit of research and it doesn’t seem as scary as I initially thought but I’m concerned about mortgage and, in particular, Insurance costs for such a building.

Anyone got any thoughts or experience with these things? Feel free to put me off 🙂

Edit: bizarrely, I googled info on listed buildings and an old STW thread from 4 years ago pops up! Hence my thread here!

jam-bo

Edit: bizarrely, I googled info on listed buildings and an old STW thread from 4 years ago pops up!

not really. google knows you come here….

listing only seems to be a real pain if you want to change anything.

Stoner
    Free Member

The only rule on housebuying in the Stoner family is never a listed building. Doesnt matter how quaint, purty, iconic or remote, never own something that a bureaucrat thinks they can screw with.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Had a 600 year old thatched cottage which was grade II listed. The local conservation office was actually really helpful. As long as you’re not doing anything ridiculous they will work with you to make sure your needs and theirs are met.

We sold though as it was a total money pit. Nothing to do with the listing – it was just very old and very falling down.

Tbh I’d be thinking more about how much you’ll need to potentially spend keeping it upright.

If I had the choice again – I wouldn’t buy such an old timber framed house. Stone built – possible, but not a timber one.

fbk
    Free Member

I’m not too worried about the restrictions on changing things as it would appear the listing for this particular building only affects the external front/sides of the house. Plus we wouldn’t really want to change anything for a long time anyway.

5thElefant
    Free Member

My folks place is listed. It hasn’t caused them any grief in the last 40-odd years.

I guess it depends if you’re planning on knocking the back wall down and building an extension.

fbk
    Free Member

DrRSwank – yes, I agree that is a concern. The current owners have lived there for a long time and done a lot of work on it – their argument is the standard “it’s been here for 500 years so another few won’t make a difference”. I am wary of the ongoing upkeep costs though

titusrider
    Free Member

Parents have one, all fine tbh. had to ask about getting a stove installed but so long as you like old buildings and that asthetic then you are going to want the same things they want. just be prepared for lots of repair bills and a heating bill the size of an international airport….

ps mortgage companies are REALLY funny about timber framing in my experience, are they happy?

joemarshall
    Free Member

Ours is grade 2 listed, conservation area in a world heritage site. It means things like doors and stuff are more expensive. Insurance is more expensive, but not massively so – find a normal insurer who will cover it (with a massive rebuild cost) – grade 2 is covered by most comparison websites. Mortgage companies are happy as long as someone will insure it.

More of a problem if it’s in a flood risk area, because then you’re combining flood risk insurance with listed building, which makes it a nightmare and hardly anyone will insure.

Long term maintenance things like doing the roof or doors and windows are quite expensive, especially if you have to get odd materials, although that can be the same in just a conservation area.

If you want it to be what it is, I don’t think it’s too bad – you have to accept that you’re not going to be bunging a massive extension on the outside of it, or pebble-dashing the front or whatever, or anything that changes it all that much externally beyond keeping it in nice condition (although with ours, because it is a terrace, people have got permission to do a fair few extensions at the back where it isn’t visible from the road, within quite strict limits though).

fbk
    Free Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I guess I need to do more research.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Get some insurance quotes and possible a surveyor in if you’re seriously considering it. Otherwise you can’t really make a valid decision.

fbk
    Free Member

dirtycrewdom – yep, that’s the likely next step. I need to get more info from the vendor on any problems (subsidence etc) they’ve had in the past then phone a few places.

Anyone got any recommendation for insurance companies I could contact (many of the online searches won’t take “abnormal” properties)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Grade II Listed Buildings – Why Not?’ is closed to new replies.