Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • GPX vs TCX For Navigation
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Hi all.

I’m trying to use my Garmin Edge 800 for navigation somewhere. I am pretty bad with directions, so getting there on time and in one piece is my main concern. I’ve plotted a course using Bikeroutetoaster and I’m trying to figure out which format is best to use for my purposes.

The way I read it, it seems that a GPX will be more useful for navigation versus a TCX. Am I correct in assuming this?

All information gratefully received!

RickyRah
    Free Member

I’ve only ever used gpx files and it’s been fine. I don’t use the ‘navigation’ function on my 705 as I found the prompts annoying. I just plot the route and follow the line on the screen.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Does it recalculate the course if you go off the navigated path when using GPX?

andytherocketeer

Think it just points towards the next route point? (assuming it’s a GPX route that’s being followed). So if you go off track, or too far, the arrow starts pointing the other way, and you can see you’re no longer on the dotted line (pink usually on an eTrex, although you can change them). If it was a shortcut, it just catches up with itself when it sees a later route point being the next nearest.

(Re-)calculation depends entirely on the maps installed, not the track/route that’s being followed.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’ve got the UK OS maps that came bundled with it. I was hoping it worked sort of like a car’s satnav thingy.

jamiea
    Free Member

I’ve heard of a lot of people using Bikeroutetoaster but found it a right pain in the arse to use compared to Mapmyride- is there something I’m doing wrong?!?

Cheers,
    Jamie

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Bikeroutetoaster works fine for me. Error messages saying why you can’t use a route would be handy though.

tommyhine

I’m not sure about the 800 but I bought an 810 last week and had a go sunday. I went of course at one point and it tried to direct me straight home by the quickest route possible!! bit odd
    I found a pretty well hidden option to amend that to get you back on the original course (only after I gave up on route and just made one up) so next ride with it should be better.
    From what I’ve heard the 800 doesn’t do this so shouldn’t be a problem but just in case.

petrieboy

Yeah it takes a bit of fiddling to get the options set up and the menus are not especially intuitive.
    Have a look at this link. I’ve found ridewithgps to be the most reliable. Use gpx tracks not gpx routes. Mine came with os maps but I’ve mostly used it with city navigator maps on road.

petrieboy
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘GPX vs TCX For Navigation’ is closed to new replies.