Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • gpx to cake stop conversion tool
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

GF and I, are planning a 150mile road ride over this weekend. We’ve planned a route on RideWithGps, got somewhere to stay, all packed, bikes fettled, weather looks good and ready to go.

Just one thing missing…I’ve been put in charge of potential cake stops. Surely in this day and age, there is a website to enter a gpx and for it to magically list (preferably as waypoints) all bike friendly coffee shops near the route?

Anyone know of one?

jambalaya
    Free Member

You’re very optimistic !

Load gpx into bikehike.co.uk and look for villages en route, failing that supermarkets

STATO
    Free Member
    mark90
    Free Member
    UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Optimistic? Surely its this sort of thing that the internet was invented for?

CyclistsWelcome is close, but seems to have virtually no content regarding refreshment stops. Looks like it does better for overnight accommodation.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

mark90, that’s quite an interesting one.

mark90
    Free Member

It appears to be related to this facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/CafeNetworkCycling

Edit: Ah, just seen the link to the main website http://www.cafenetwork.info/

thenorthwind

OP, you seem not to have realised that you’ve had a brilliant idea that no-one else has though of (or at least put into practice). I hope someone follows it up!

Cake My Ride would be a great name for it, which is a shame because it’s already been taken by a similar website which now appears to be defunct.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think you’ll struggle to find anything comprehensive other than maybe google. There are loads missing from that map linked above. I’d just upload the route to google maps and you’ll get pretty much everything that is on the route

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

TheNorthWind, yep that though definitely crossed my mind. Imagine uploading a route, and it magically letting you know all the cake stops within say 1/4 a mile of the route. Would be heaven.

MoreCashThanDash

Most local CTC group websites have a Cafe stop page. The Derby one needs updating, or I’m ahead of the curve….

DavidB
    Free Member

What is the copyright status of the KML data downloaded from those Google MyMaps, anyone know?

Can it be re-used in your own mashup

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘gpx to cake stop conversion tool’ is closed to new replies.