Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • GPX or highlighted route of Avoriaz-Col du Cou – Champery
  • superfli
    Free Member

Hi,
    Off to Chatel tomorrow for some fun. I’d like to ride the Col Du Cou as I’ve seen some pics, heard some stories and it sounds like a nice break from the typical DH runs, plus probably suit my Heckler a little more 🙂
    Anyway, I’ve been looking on my viewranger app and can see what looks like a nice trail runnig from Le Berthe (Col Du Cou I think) to Barme and down joining a road to Champery. I’m struggling to see an obvious route to the ColdC. Anyone able to provide me with a map or GPX file please?
    TIA Dave

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sounds like you have it, will drop you an email. The trail is on paths / tracks. To get to the Col you take lifts up above Linderets/Crossets (near the point the PPdS loop joins GR5 path then it’s a track past a great mountain restaurant then a climb to the hut at the col and a ride/carry to the very top if you wish then onto Arette Berois.

Swiss maps are available online, will drop you the link

Thanks for the work at QECP btw !

superfli
    Free Member

Thanks Jambalaya!
    I am working with this online swiss map http://map.geo.admin.ch/
    And then this which is a bit confusing as ColdC looks miles away http://www.portesdusoleil.com/images/upload/portfolio_img/plan_des_pistes_vtt.jpg

Can yuo explain by the swiss map please? I’m not sure where the Mossette ends up on that map? Is it the lift from Le Brochau to Col de Chesery? This is where I get stuck for a route 🙂

QECP is just getting better and better, I hardly leave the place now! Its a collective, so great work done by all, thanks 🙂

andytherocketeer

This is what I cobbled together for last year.

Top of Mossettes lift to Col De Cou:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5537810

Assuming the bit you want to ride is Arete du Berroi down to Champery?
    if so just before Col de Cou you turn off left on to the ridge (or go the last bit to the col and double back).

The ridge path is pretty obvious. When it comes out on the road, I think you can take single track that goes straight down the hill, and crosses/joins the road a few times, cos the road traverses and has switchbacks. We we running late so hooned it down the road at 60.

superfli
    Free Member

Think I have it. From top of Mossette, go down Swiss side towards Chaux Palin (Planachaux on swiss map). Take the path/track it looks like on Swiss map, under chair towards Ripaille at around 1800m or just below. Keep on path/track to La Poya, and then climb the Col do Cou. So basically following the Swiss side on the ridge about 300m below.
    Once at Col, turn almost due East to take path down to Barme at 1500m. Then skirt the top of the cliffs at Dent de Bonavau or take the lower track until road.

andytherocketeer

Pretty much. When you get to the refuge at Lapisa, you can go kinda straight on, take a single track shortcut, and rejoin the track further along towards La Poyat.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@superfli – yes you have it off of lift down a but then right turn and back under the lift on swiss side and I agree with the other posts above.

The restaurant / farm I mentioned is Lapisa (as per andy the rocketeer above). It’s worth planning timing to stop for a drink there at least.mwe went all,the way to col refuge for view then back a bit and up path to arête – we missed the short hike a bike to very top but I would suggest you do that to properly tick the box. If you are over that side would suggest you ride the runs in Crossets a little, the red from Champery side is nice.

superfli
    Free Member

Thanks all. Andy, I have that exact path on my phone, which I was going to follow anyway. Perfect 🙂

andytherocketeer

We did the opposite at Lapisa. Were stuck in a group of 20+ other brits. They all stopped for a coffee, so we decided to skip coffee breaks and hence the convoy of Orange 5’s and carry on up and catch the next troop of mostly Orange 5’s on the ascent to the col.

Was not long after that vid was shown on here last year, and it was heaving.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘GPX or highlighted route of Avoriaz-Col du Cou – Champery’ is closed to new replies.