Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • GPX onto a Garmin 520, teach me please.
  • weeksy

Alright guys,

Just downloaded a GPX for a ride in Burgundy…. but how do i get it onto my Garmin 520 ?

I use my Garmin only for tracking via Strava, so never done any ‘routes’ stuff before.

lunge

Save GPX on computer
    Plug Garmin in to said computer
    Drag the GPX file into the routes file of the Garmin.
    Unplug Garmin.

I think that’s how I do it anyway.

richardk
    Free Member

Awesome guide from Ride With GPS here   Jump straight in at step 6 if you already have the GPX file

Also, take a look at DC Raimaker’s guide to getting new base maps onto the device here  Your device will only have some very lo-res maps, if it has any at all for France.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mashr

Save GPX on computer
    Plug Garmin in to said computer
    Drag the GPX file into the

“New Files” folder

of the Garmin.
    Unplug Garmin.

Unless the 520 is different (wouldn’t put it past them)

avdave2

Also, take a look at DC Raimaker’s guide to getting new base maps onto the device

Definitely do the above if you want to actually get any use out of it for navigating, base map is pretty useless. It’s easy to swap areas around as well so while you are doing it get a map for the areas you do most of your riding in as well as where you’re going

weeksy

OK, on the case… don’t have the Garmin at work but i’ve downloaded the GPX and the France Map. We’ll see where we go next when i get home.

GolfChick
    Free Member

JUst make sure you put it in the directory called ‘new files’. I think you’re limited to space on the 520 otherwise I’d say I’ll send over the talky toaster France map but I doubt it’ll fit being 2.1GB.

weeksy

The map i’ve downloaded from above site is 1.1Gb…

grazze53317
    Free Member

nvm

GolfChick
    Free Member

You’ll want to reduce that in size then Im afraid, the 520 doesn’t offer a micro sd slot so you’re limited in memory size available.

‘While doing so, keep an eye on the side bar, it will give an estimation of the map size, which you want to keep under 90Mb. You can fit more (about 100Mb), but you need to keep some space for your session, strava and other files. If you keep it to 90Mb you have a large safety margin as the Garmin and Strava files are pretty tiny.’

avdave2

The map i’ve downloaded from above site is 1.1Gb…

You need something around 50mb in order to leave room for recording rides etc.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Use a .tcx file for the route and stick it straight in “New Files” folder, they’re smaller than GPX but just as good.

Also trim the maps to absolute minimum from the DC rainmaker post.

Then give it 6 months / a couple of firmware updates, chuck it in a drawer and buy a Wahoo.

igm

Don’t know about 520, but on the 820…

Open GPX on iPhone and chose the send to garmin connect option

Save as a course

Download to 820 from connect over the airwaves (Wi-fi, Bluetooth, whatever it is)

Done

sarawak
    Free Member

If you are wanting to do navigation then why not get an eTrex? That will take a massive microSD card, big enough for all your maps and routes. Proper turn by turn directions, and will create a track to upload to Strava. And it leaves your 520 free for the more usual things that you want it to do.

weeksy

This was only a one off thing in an area of France I don’t know. It’s the first time in 15+ years I’ll have wanted to use maps, so if it can’t be done, it’s no biggy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘GPX onto a Garmin 520, teach me please.’ is closed to new replies.