GPS watches: Relative sizes IRL

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • GPS watches: Relative sizes IRL
  • Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

So, I’m considering a GPS watch. I’ve pretty much done my research and I’m not particularly interested in recommendations for brand and model at this point.

Size, on the other hand, is a thing. The models with the better run-times are at or around 51mm and the pictures online look **** mahoosive, like someone strapped a can of fish to their wrist. But, if I stick a ruler across my venerable G-Shock, 51mm doesn’t look particularly large at all, about the same. I don’t have skinny wrists though.

Are these things actual behemoths or are they actually ‘just’ about the size of a typical chunky G-Shock?

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

Also, the ‘*’ filter is pretty impressive for catching a word that isn’t but sounds a bit like a ‘bad’ word…

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Some might be, but some aren’t. I’ve just got a Garmin Forerunner 645 and it’s just a little smaller than a Casio ‘tough solar’ watch I’ve got for circuit training (as the tough solar watch has better interval timers than any of the reasonably priced g-shocks). I’d say the Casio I’ve got is similar to g-shock size – maybe a little smaller.

I’ve also had a Lezyne gps watch – that wasn’t huge in terms of circumference – but it did stick out from your wrist a long way and was a bit clunky.

Premier Icon nuke
    Subscriber

Just sat here measuring my gshocks and garmin instinct…none of which seem to bulky looking and its seems 45mm is my limit before looking too big on my wrist. 51mm doesn’t sound much bigger than 45mm but then 29er wheels don’t measure much bigger than smaller sizes but its amazing how they look much bigger!

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

I give up – how do you link an image on here now?! Used to use imgur, but they’ve made it awkward on mobile by ceasing their mobile site and I can’t get the app to work in the same way.

Just tried to use Flickr for the first time but can’t work out how to get an image pulling through…..

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Dcrainmaker has comprehensive reviews including lots of side by side photos. Should be able to get and idea from those. I’d say my suunto Spartan trainer is similar size to a gshock.

petec

i have a 51mm garmin

it’s big, no getting away from it. But you do get used to it. Just remember to put your shirt on before the watch…

One of the reasons I went for the sapphire screen was the fear of bashing a deep watch (not necessarily the diameter). But even then I’ve not bashed it too much

what’s a good GPS watch then?

I need a new bike computer but a watch may be a better buy…

Premier Icon jsync
    Subscriber

reggiegasket

what’s a good GPS watch then?

PSA – Garmin 645 £175

PJay

I’m interested in this. My Wife would like a gps running watch (after disappointing performance from her Fitbit Versa) but she has tiny wrists and is afraid that the Garmins will look like dinner plates. Even in Garmin’s own promo. material they look huge.

Premier Icon Jerm
    Subscriber

I got a Garmin Foreunner 35. I have skinny wrists. I think it’s great. It’s watch size unlike most of the others. It has GPS and heart rate. It links to the phone for notifications and messages. It’s also one of the cheapest you can get – Under £100. I’m sure it must be missing lots of features the others have but as I haven’t had any others, I’m not missing out. Only annoyance I’ve found so far is that although it will control the Apple music app on an iphone it doesn’t work with Spotify and Audible.

CraigW

Or look at the Garmin Forerunner 45S. It is a slightly smaller version of the Forerunner 45. Seems it is the same size screen, just a slimmer bezel.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.