Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • GPS units
  • zero-cool
    Free Member

What are the best GPS handsets/units for mounting to bars and following routes/trails. Planning on riding Lands End to John O Groats next year and don’t want to have to keep stopping and checking my map every time I get to a junction when out training. I just want to load a specific route And then follow it on the screen as I go (sort of like a SatNav but doing a specific route). And also for some MTB routes now and again.

I know nothing about GPS products so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom KP

njee20
    Free Member

Budget?

Garmin Edge 1000 has the best (and biggest AFAIK) screen, but an Edge Touring may suit your needs better.

scotroutes

Lots of options out there but consider whether or not you want mapping and also howvyou will keep it charged. For longer tours I prefer something that will run off AA batteries rather than an internal rechargeable. However if you are staying in B and Bs etc then this might be less of an issue.

Have you worked out the logistics of getting your bike to and from the start and end points yet? You might like to consider using http://www.johnogroatsbiketransport.co.uk/

theflatboy
    Free Member

The Edge Touring works pretty well for this. It is not perfect and has some annoying foibles but in the main does that job well.

euain

I’ve only used Garmin – other makes will work just as well too, I’m sure. I’ve been impressed with my Garmin so far though (3 years to so).

I’ve used my Garmin Edge 800 with some success for plotting road routes and it’ll give you turn-by-turn instructions as you approach junction etc. It works very well for me when I’m exploring new road routes.

This unit has been superseded by the Edge 810, which I’m sure does the same. The smaller gamins (Edge 500/510) have much more limited routing/navigation functionality. I don’t think they’ll do quite what you want – and certainly not so neatly and comprehensively.

Garmin have also released a Edge Touring device that looks like the 800 but seems to be more aimed at navigation. I think it’s cheaper than the 800 but has many of the training and Ant+ (power meter etc.) functions disabled.

The newer Edge 1000 is an option as it has a bigger screen.

Back to the 800 – you get about 15h battery life and mine’s been faultless on my road and mountain bikes for the last few years. I’d recommend – but it’s not a cheap option. I got the one with the OS 1:50k basemap following a PSA on this site.

muddy9mtb

I have the Garmin edge 800, and bought it with the 1:50 Os maps (that’s the cheapest option as the maps individually are very expensive) for use off road – BE-AWARE IT WILL NOT give turn by turn OFF ROAD, only ON road. The instructions are awful and was confirmed after allot of faffing about by Garmin’s poor customer support. As mentioned the edge tourer looks like an 800 but without the “performance” extras that athletes find useful. Personally I wouldn’t buy another garmin because of the poor support however your choices are limited. You could look at the memory map adventurer product http://www.evanscycles.com/products/memory-map/adventurer-3500-gps-with-full-country-maps-ec025210
    or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Memory-Map-Adventurer-2800-GPS-Receiver-/291235653778?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item43ceff6892 second hand
    which is the only other real alternative. This doesn’t come with any the cycle performance stuff either nor does turn by turn but the software is far easier to use and you could probably get some 1:25 added which are more detailed than the 1:50. Battery life wise both products offer similar hours usage.
    If you buy the garmin – then do it well before your big ride to get use to using it (it’s wacky for sure)…if you live near an Evans then ask about hiring a memory map to try for the day, they hire them out for the ride it events.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Garmin 1000 or 800. 4 years with mine and garmin Dakota 650. They are the best, mines even survived submerging on winter MTB over Exmoor 🙂 and through Trans Portugal. Buy OS map UK and you will have all you need for turn by turn routing for LEJOG. It comes on micro sd card so you can swap it to new other devices in the future. Same if you go abroad, just buy the relevant country SD card. Download basecamp their free mapping tool software its best Ive used as a long term abuser on off road.

No mapping software or device can give you turn by turn off road.

You will need to recharge the Garmin 1000 or 800 every 10 – 12 hours. If you want longer batter life then go for Dakota 650 types as the use AA batteries which can be more useful if your on a long unsupported adventure. Alternatively buy a power monkey that will recharge the garmin for at least 10 days of use.

aracer
    Free Member

I prefer OS grid, but if you’re using it in a different country lat/long may make more sense.

rickmeister

Sure no turn directs are available for the 800 off road.. I get a little chirp noise..

njee20
    Free Member

Depends on the maps – OSM can do turn by turn off road, I guess OS can’t.

muddy9mtb

the response from garmin was to use a third party app to make the routes for turn by turn off road?? go figure!
    and then it will use the waypoint markers to get it to beep.
    if your going round a corner that could be slightly annoying?
    with lots of routes already planned as gpx files I can’t be bothered.
    back to basics for me – paper map, use the course follower on the edge as backup

rickmeister

Ok thanks. I’m on OSM.

muddy9mtb

having shelled out for the os map, using the osm alternative seemed a bit of a cope out, as you wouldn’t be able to use the OS product. yes and no it will give turn by turn off road…in a fashion?
    If anyone can find how to in the all encompassing Garmin user manual I’d be happy to eat my words http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Edge_800_OM_EN.pdf

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘GPS units’ is closed to new replies.