Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • GPS? Is it really any good on a MTB?
  • stufield
    Free Member

i use bar mounted tops got track where i’ve been and iPhone memory maps app as a yes i’m sure i’m in the right spot for when fell side routes disappear into the long grass.

However good the tech, just worry about battery draining etc… besides i like to read a map part of the enjoyment for me, if that doesn’t sound wierd

jonba
    Free Member

Ball of string, tie it to the car so I can always find my way back. Worked for Theseus.

Want a GPS but haven’t justified the initial expense while string is so cheap.

Gribs

It doesn’t need to be expensive. I use a Dell axim with memory map installed and it cost about £30 all in a few years ago. It’s even cheaper now no one wants old pda’s.

Eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280860316523

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mdavids
    Free Member

It doesn’t need to be expensive. I use a Dell axim with memory map installed and it cost about £30 all in a few years ago. It’s even cheaper now no one wants old pda’s.

This is what I use^^ Old pda, memory map software and one of these

bluetooth gps reciever

Batteries last ages, cheap to buy and has so far been totally reliable

BadlyWiredDog

I tried using GPS once but it was wrong and I found guesswork was more effective. As a spin-off though, it inspired me to create my own more accurate GPS using a goldfish with a magnet embedded in it, a large, sealed globe full of saline solution and a series of polaroid images of the area through which I’m travelling.

Remarkably, fish have an extraordinary natural sense of direction and can often discern a route simply by looking at images of prominent landmarks and rock formations, for example.

Adding the magnet to the fish – alignment is important here – means that it can also act as a primitive but highly accurate compass. I’ve also experimented with giving the fish a pen and paper to write down a grid bearing and act as a simple trip computer, but this ended badly, possibly because the fish I chose to use may have been dyslexic.

Anyway, the good news is that I anticipate putting this system into production in the near future. It’s simple, idiot proof and robust enough to use on a bike – in an accident the globe will simply roll away safely.

I wouldn’t, however, advise using a digital GPS on a bike under any circumstances. They are simply not accurate enough. As a back-up, I always carry a spare fish in a plastic bag as recommended by Icelandic Mountain Rescue Confederation.

Hope that helps.

boblo
    Free Member

Tsssk, there’s always one sarky git in’t there? 🙂

GavinB

How do the fish cope with wooded areas? Surely that’s a critical design issue right there?

BadlyWiredDog

They like woods – reminds them of sea-weed and coral reefs. And if they don’t like ’em – they’re organic and unpredictable after all – I generally carry a chain-saw in my pack for a spot of impromptu clearance.

Tsssk, there’s always one sarky git in’t there?

So I don’t agree with Tandem Dichotomy. Eat my guppy… 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘GPS? Is it really any good on a MTB?’ is closed to new replies.