Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • GPS help
  • mentalalex
    Free Member

thinking of getting one, a garmin.

not got loads to spend, what to people recommend, something that I can plot routes.,speed,distance,time ,height doesn't need to be flash.

never had one before so needs to be user friendly

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

etrex is good. Simple. you;ll need a lead and the software as it dosen't usually come with it.

I've also got a GPS 72 which is much the same but bigger, more marine orientated and naturally it floats.

Loads of free software is about to help get track and logs in and out of the unit if your visiting route sites like bikely. So you don't really need multi map if you've got Google earth.

stumpyjon

Need to decide if you want on screen mapping or not. Good review in the mag this month. I've got a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx. Records routes and speeds well enough and is fine for navigating a route with, not sure the premium I paid for the mapping bit was worth it. I think I'd go with something like the Garmin 205 if you want something simple, rugged and no mapping and probably something like the Satmap (cos of the OS on screen mapping, the Garmin stuff on screen is pants) if you want pretty pics on screen.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Any Etrex, or a Geko 201/301 if you want it smaller/lighter.

geoffj

Garmin eTrex H + bar mounts + USB Cable for around £100 ish

mentalalex
    Free Member

anyone got any expirenace of the 205 or 305 looking at the 205

Garmin Edge 205 Navigation & Trip Computer For Cycles looking at the one at the minute

what does it mean by trip computer ?

kinda666
    Free Member

It means you might "trip" over it Al

geoffj

The Edges are super duper bike computers that use GPS rather than wheel mounted magnets to measure speed, distance, elevation etc. You can get it to auto trip on period of specific lengths, so you can see how long you are taking for each period.
    Navigation is possible, but is limited using traditional routes. You can use courses though.
    If you want it to measure ride length etc., and perhaps share it with your mates then its fine. If you want navigation, you would be better with an eTrex and a map.
    The 305 is the same as the 205 except for the inclusion of a barometric altimeter and the ability to mate it with a heart rate strap and/or cadence sensor.
    PS I thought the review piece in the magazine was excellently written – the author goes into far more detail than is possible here 😉

mentalalex
    Free Member

ok then cheers guys

looking at the

Gamrin GPS 60
    Garmin eTrex Venture HC Handheld GPS Navigator

just those at the minute

abductee
    Free Member

GPS 60 has monochrome display and won't do mapping

venture HC does mapping but does not take a micro SD card so 24mb memory will be limiting.

Legend HCx ?

mentalalex
    Free Member

i like the geko and 205 but tbh i don't what does what,

complete newbie to this GPS stuff

mentalalex
    Free Member

Garmin Etrex Legend they any good i can get one with full euro maps for a good price.

abductee
    Free Member

geko 201 – monochrome display, no mapping, no high sensitivity receiver (you will loose signal in the woods) 125 waypoints per route.

It would work but it's not state of the art. Etrex H would perhaps be better but still monochrome display and no mapping.

I think you are looking at around £90 for the geko and £130 for the legend HCx but for the extra you get colour display, mapping, expandable memory via micro SD card, high sensitivity receiver, better battery life and 250 waypoints per route.

mentalalex
    Free Member

i can get the extex legend with full Euro maps for about £60,

would that be aright to use on the bike on and off road.

would i be able to plot route off memory map and upload them on to that ?

abductee
    Free Member

Is it the old monochrome legend or the legend HCx? if you can get the hcx for £60 its a bargain

H = high sensitivity reciever
    C = colour display
    x = micro SD card slot

Spongebob
    Free Member

Garmin Edge series are the ideal bike GPS.

However, if you need a new mobile phone I can't recommend the Nokia 5800 more highly – running the free Nokia Sportstracker app. NST is simplicity personified! Upload your routes to your own account ont the NST website as well as view them on the phone. Very very easy to use and very impressive.

Also, but not in you list of must haves is the £20 Viewranger App. A swift download and you have OS mapping of your choice. Just spent 2 weeks on the Isle of Wight and found it massively helpful. I'd literally have been lost without it! 😆

The batteries last for absolutely ages (more than a day using gps). Oh and you get BBC iPlayer capability – store hours worth of tv, web browsing, Youtube and Facebook capability, a music library and FM radio – 3.5mm audio jack. Mine even runs as a torch using the camera flash LEDs.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but all my old GPS units are now drawer bound and are collecting dust. This is since I got my phone in February.

I still highly rate the Edge series, but you just can't beat having the whole shooting match in a mobile handset.

mentalalex
    Free Member

im either going to get the etrex legend hcx or the edge 205

which one will be better for navigation,

as im going on holiday soon in Wales and want to put some routes on the road so I don't get lost.

as long as the edge can do basic navigation tells me which way i should go when i approach the way point that is all I need and so i can record routes and put save them on the comp, as I like the training aspect of the 205.

i would use it round my local area Cannock chase and download routes for the peak district or something. just something basic so i don't get lost

abductee
    Free Member

edge 205
    Monochrome
    Basemap: no
    Ability to add maps: no
    Accepts data cards: no
    Lap history: 1000 laps
    Waypoints/favorites/locations: 100
    Routes: 50

Legend HCX
    Colour
    Basemap: yes
    Preloaded maps: no
    Ability to add maps: yes
    Built-in memory: no
    Accepts data cards: microSD™ card (not included)
    Waypoints/favorites/locations: 1000
    Routes: 50
    Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks

For navigation I would say the legend. To get near it with the edge you would need a 605 or 705. Also worth noting the legend has twice the battery life and the batteries can be replaced. you will need to buy a bike mount however.

mentalalex
    Free Member

Click

what about that its either going to be that or the etrex legend hcx

CraigW
    Free Member

Featurewise, the Legend Hcx and the 60CSx are pretty much the same (except the 60csx has the compass and barometric altimeter – if you want these, look at the Vista Hcx).

The main difference is the size and shape. The 60csx is a fair bit bigger than the eTrex, a bit too big for on a bike IMO. Though the 60csx has a bigger screen, which you may prefer.

spacemonkey

I still use my 2003 Garmin eTrex Vista with Tracklogs, but only if I'm either "programming" in a specific route that I want to follow, or I'm exploring somewhere I don't know.

It's certainly more than functional, but with technology having evolved somewhat since 2003, I'd say look at the higher spec models. My preference would be something more suited to OS, but I've not yet seen any really good review.

SM

PS always worth taking an OS map if you have one (or a printout) – a GPS can still lead you into trouble when you're off the beaten track

Trimix
    Free Member

Take an OS map and the cheapest GPS that gives you a British Grid ref. Then you wont get lost.

If your GPS wont give you your grid position its more than useless.

kinda666
    Free Member

What wrong with just following your Dad Al?? 😈

Trimix
    Free Member

Or getting lost on purpose so you can discover things ?

Ive spent most of my life lost, seems OK to me.

mentalalex
    Free Member

think im going to get the 605 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘GPS help’ is closed to new replies.