Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • GPS device to do it all
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

Quite getting into GPS apps, Strava, to log all my various activities and track my progress. Currently using my iPhone for logging the data but the battery is flat before I’m finished. So I’m looking for one GPS device, Garmin, to track everything and log all the data and not half a days effort. Cycling, running, hill walking etc so I need good battery life for full days when I’m out.

A Edge 800 would capture everything for the bike, but would it be suitable to chuck in a pocket and log running/hiking data?? Or should I be looking at something else?
    Cheers

GrahamS

How long you riding for?

An hours ride only takes about 10% of my battery (using Endmondo, screen off). I could probably get more out of it by turning 3G, Bluetooth and wifi off.

You could just look at an add-on battery to increase capacity. Quite a bit cheaper than buying a full GPS if that’s all you want it for.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1160878/iphone_4_battery_cases.html

theflatboy
    Free Member

if you want logging only not navigation just get one of the watches, i got a garmin 210 recently and it’s perfect for that job.

woffle
    Free Member

As above – logging only, look at the Garmin watches, otherwise i’d look at something like a Garmin Oregon.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I use a Forerunner 305 for pretty much everything. It’s not the best for navigation but I have used it for that – pre-loading the waypoints using Memory Map.

As a bike computer and for running etc. it’s excellent.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

+1 for the Forerunner 305, ,I use the same. Mine has a non Garmin replacement battery and I easily get 10 hrs use out of it before the battery dies.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

“To do it all…”

Got to be a 910XT. Pretty sure it’s got the functionality to make tea aswell as swimming, cycling and running.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Forerunner 910XT

review here

picked up one yesterday in Evans – price matched for me with cheapest online i could find that was in stock

£299 for the HRM bundle, will sell the HRM and USB Key as i already have them

had/have the edge 800 – never once used the map function – and the buttons on top are crap, why make a touch screen then have physical buttons on? got crap in mine on a wet ride and they stayed pressed in

910XT does everything the edge 500 does only difference is that only shows 4 data fields as opposed to 8 on the garmin

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Here are the salient quotes from the review linked above…

“pees in all other GPS units shoes”

“owns the Forerunner 305 (its predecessor) with bombers”

“new added baby robin identifier functionality has to be seen to be believed”

Fantombiker

Well, I got a Garmin etrex 20, for approx 140 quid. It has AA batteries so no worrying about being caught with no charge, just take a few spare with you on long trips, does lots of complicated things as well…

butcher

I’ve just got an eTrex 20 too… Nice price. 25 hours battery life. Mapping. Very similar to the Dakota really but without the touch screen.

It all depends what’s important. If it’s for recording and training, the Edge units are probably better. I wanted mine for navigation mainly.

rockhopper70

or a maplin one (igotu) for £20.
    Battery life of around 30hours and the position logging can be customised to be more frequent when a certain speed is reached.
    Mine works with strava very well and not a major faff to extract the .gpx files from it.
    tested mine with it in the dashboard of the car.
    plot two full days out driving around the northwest without a battery recharge.
    very pleased

butcher

Think the Maplin ones are discontinued now. You can still get cheap I-got-u units…but they’re a level up from the Maplin ones, and for the price you’re getting close to a basic Garmin.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘GPS device to do it all’ is closed to new replies.