Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • gps device??
  • turbo1397
    Free Member

Im thinking of investing in the above. Im after something that will show you a route similar to a car satnav and that you can also load routes onto.. Ive had a look about the internet and this forum and i was thinking about the garmin 800 or something similar, would this be suitable or could peeps recommend something similar..?

johnnystorm

Garmin Edges are great. I’ve got a 200 it’s great for the bike computer stuff and the navigation is basic but works. For proper routing I also have a Garmin Dakota 20. It’s not so good as a bike computer but brill for displaying routes and OS maps. The Edge 800 is a blend of both I guess, downside to the edge is that while the battery life is better than the Dakota it’s easier to pop fresh AAs in the Dakota as necessary.

If you want OS maps get the Garmin without them as you can get the maps on a proper card from ioffer.com for about £23.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Would there be any other makes to consider or have garmin got the market sewn up?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Toasty

There’s others, Garmin is the norm though, so you’ll find the Strava/MapMyRide/Connect/Endomondo process very smooth. If you’re looking to find routes online I’d go Garmin personally.

The Edge 200/500 have a dotted line you can follow, you can see when turns are coming up and not a lot else.

If you want maps it’s 510, 800 or 810.

Clong
    Free Member

If its just for navigation, something along the lines of Satmap might be better. The 800 is a superb piece of kit, but its more aimed at the cycle computer side of things (and the data you can get from it is epic). I have used my 800 for navigation, but the larger screen of the satmap makes it more usable in that respect.

clubber
    Free Member
    johnny

Bit of a thread hijack- or adding to it, but i’m also looking for a GPS- something like the 800 would be ideal, as i want navigation, logging, HRM and cadence, which will also connect well with Apps/Strava, etc. Has anyone got experience of other brands- such as Bryton?

turbo1397
    Free Member

@clong.. had a look at a satmap 10 plus and it looks awesome..great detail on the screen. how long have you had yours and have you had any problems with it?

CraigW
    Free Member

If you want something with a bigger screen, look at the Garmin Oregon or Montana. You can add OS maps, though they are expensive (for a genuine copy).
    They will give you HR and cadence (if you buy the sensors separately).

johnnystorm

“If you want something with a bigger screen, look at the Garmin Oregon or Montana. You can add OS maps, though they are expensive (for a genuine copy).”

The seller dazzler3639 (or similar) sells the UK maps for £23 and they come in a garmin packet with one of the “void when unpeeled” labels. Work perfectly in my Dakota.

Mate has a Bryton and has gone back to his garmin watch because of niggles with firmware and incompatibility issues.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Satmaps are great for navigation, big screen, reasonably tough, decent battery life.

CraigW
    Free Member

The seller dazzler3639 (or similar) sells the UK maps for £23 and they come in a garmin packet with one of the “void when unpeeled” labels. Work perfectly in my Dakota.

So its a good quality fake then. But I doubt it is genuine.
    If you want a pirate copy, just download the maps from Pirate Bay etc for free, they will also work fine on the Garmin.

johnnystorm

Could be I suppose but at the bery least he’s gone to needless trouble and its kept my PC free of potential nasties from trawling torrent sites.

Clong
    Free Member

Apologies turbo, I’ve not got a satmap, I have garmin 800. I’ve used the satmaps and friends have them, not had any problems. I preferred the garmin as It was smaller. As far as I’m aware the satmap only did navigation, not sure if it tracks or logs rides in the same was the garmins do.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘gps device??’ is closed to new replies.