• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • GP5000 tyres
  • meandyuk

Had a set of vitoria corsas that seem rubbish for puncture protection.

Looking at a set of GP5000’s as i’ve had the 4000s before and they’ve been great.

Question is, do I bother with tubeless (I do have compatible rims but never tried) or just go standard clincher for ease? Plus do I go 25mm or 28mm? The rims have a 17mm internal rim width so I’m worried they will balloon out too much.

Cheers
    Andy

akira

Gp5000s go up tubeless very well and are quite big for a 25mm.

13thfloormonk

How much do you puncture? Is it your everyday bike?

I’ve not gone tubeless road as I just don’t puncture very much and can’t be bothered with the faff (plus I like swapping wheels/tyres between bikes etc.).

Also, I think the road.cc review referred to a test by one of the German magazines that showed that a clincher GP5000 with a latex tube was lighter and rolled faster than equivalent tubeless GP5000. Not sure what results were with a standard tube.

I run GP4000s with latex on the summer bike, all I can say is it rolls noticeably faster than the winter bike with 4seasons and butyl tubes, and I haven’t punctured yet.

Edit: unless you’re worried about aero watts I wouldn’t be concerned about tyre widths on a 17mm rim, I was running 2.3″ MTB tyres at 30psi on 17mm rims not so many years ago…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    akira

Don’t puncture a huge amount but only had one ride on them so far, rolled well but badly resurfaced road for a big chunk of the ride meant was a little bit bumpy. Running them at 80psi and felt good.
    Edit: size not so much aero but some older road bikes might not have enough clearance.

meandyuk

Well, I think i had zero punctures with the GP4000’s so not needing any extra protection as long as the 5000s are at least as good.

Any other benefits of going tubeless?

Its a trek ALR which will run upto 28mm I think

mashr

Germans disagree with the Rolling Resistance guy there, although not sure if he uses butyl or latex? https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/compare/continental-grand-prix-5000-2018-vs-continental-grand-prix-5000-tl-2018

simondbarnes

I’m running GP5000TL 28mm on my Emonda ALR. Only ridden a few hundred km so far but they’re fast & grippy which is what I wanted.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Running 28mm GP5000s with standard tubes on my road bike. Had GP4000s before and the 5000s definitely roll faster and grip better. Not sure how they do it but it works for me.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

not sure if he uses butyl or latex?

It says on the page he uses butyl Race28 tubes.

IMO latex+clincher for racing (faster), tubeless for normal riding (better puncture resistance).

13thfloormonk

Quoting the rood.cc article (wanted to check in case I was talking nonsense)

Continental makes some impressive claims for its new tyre, including a 17% rolling resistance improvement over the outgoing GP4000. Clearly, some lab testing would be needed to verify those improvements. Unable to do that ourselves (road.cc sadly does not have a tyre testing lab), the excellent Bicycle Rolling Resistance website has tested the tyre and found the tubeless GP5000 to offer lower rolling resistance than the regular clincher GP5000 (link is external).

However, Aerocoach in its testing found the regular clincher GP5000 with a latex inner tube to provide lower resistance than the tubeless GP5000 (link is external), both in a 25mm width. It says, ‘The GP 5000 clincher in 25mm was faster than the tubeless GP 5000 TL 25mm, saving 1.2w at 45kph for a pair of wheels.’ It’s worth noting the use of the latex inner tube; most people would use a butyl inner tube which would reduce some of the advantages.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Thread resurrection!

Those people running GP5000s…how are they handling autumn/winter conditions?
    Some reviews I’ve read suggest the sidewalls are fragile and prone to slash punctures.
    Also, how many miles/kms are you getting out of them?

I’m contemplating getting a Giant TCR which comes with tubeless Giant Cadex races tyres and Id rather have something a little more robust (granted, those tyres may be fine…).

Currently using GP4000 SII clinchers with a anti-puncture strip and only had one puncture from memory. That was recently and tyre is nearly down to canvas so very impressed with the 4000s…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

In wintery conditions but without frost or ice, 28mm 4 Seasons on ~21mm internal rim width Reet’ard 29er rims on my fatbike never lost traction, over this last weekend on damp/wet steep slopes near Prestatyn.

I’ve yet to take my GP4000S IIs out in anything close, I thought the 4 Seasons are designed for traction at low temps.

mikeyp

They stick like shit to a blanket compared to Hutchinson secteurs. Went up with a track pump. Smell great too.

stevious

Smell great too.

This is genuinely the most compelling bit of forum-based tyre recommendation I have ever seen.

footflaps

I used to run GP4000 (originals) all winter and have 28mm GP4000 IIs on my current winter bike, which have been great so far….

w00dster

I’m using 28mm GP5000s Clinchers on my wet weather bike. So far only done about 500 miles, zero visits from the puncture fairy…..
    Grip in the wet is good, or as good as can be with 2cm of rubber on wet greasy roads. Don’t feel any different to my old gp4000’s but then didn’t expect them to.
    I’m a bit weird in that I won’t use Tubeless in the winter. My tubeless wheels are an absolute pig to get a tyre off, so if I ever needed to I’d probably not manage it on my own with cold hands (I only have partial use of my left arm). The GP5000 in clincher are nice and easy to swap on and off. Speed wise, hard to say for sure as every ride is different and that opens a whole off topic discussion.
    On the summer bike I use Pro Ones tubeless on Reynolds carbon Slg rims – nightmare to get on and off. But so far not had a flat to contend with. (I do take a tubeless repair kit and anchovies just in case).
    I’m not a fan of the 4seasons, my experience was they were actually not very grippy and would pick up a lot of flats. I used to race winter series crits and tried the 4seasons and really didn’t rate them. Much preferred the GP4000s for wet and cold weather grip. I’m up in Snowdon area in a few weeks and will be using the GP5000s. Tempted to get the GP5000 32s as they’ll fit in my frame.

TiRed

Running 23/25 5000s and 20/23/25 4000s. The 5000s are an improvement. I’ve not felt the need for tubeless. And I could on several wheels but I prefer latex tubes.

25c are fine on traditional 17mm Open Pros.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘GP5000 tyres’ is closed to new replies.