Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Goyt valley – cheeky stuff ?
  • MadBillMcMad

We are planning on riding in the Goyt valley tonight – weather permitting, parking here.

Would anybody care to point me in the direction of any cheeky stuff in the woods it would be much appreciated.

sambob
    Free Member

There’s a good fast descent from here down the footpath, but make sure you don’t lock the wheels much because it’s quite grassy. I can see that car park from my house and I wouldn’t want to be up there now, never mind in the dark, you’ll be fine if you stay in the valley though. I’ve heard there’s some very good cheeky stuff in there, but i have no idea where it is.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

somebody told me at the weekend that there was a good track inside the forest somewhere in the goyt, but the council/rangers etc ripped it apart 🙁

thats a good track sambob says…..it will be bleak up there tonight id have thought….

if you find any more stuff let me know too!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Looking at that map Sambob and it brings back such a strong memory of my last day at school back in 1990.

Three of us got up a stupid o’clock and went out for a ride over Shinning Tor before school. I rode over from Poynton, my mates were in Kettleshume and Disley. Then we rode back to Poynton for 9am registration. It was a glorious day and a fantastic way to start your last ever day of school.

sambob
    Free Member

Horrible here right now, about 5 degrees C, really windy and raining, only forecast to get worse too. What bike do you have OW? Think i’ve met you on a pootle, but bikes help me put names to faces better than anything else.

MadBillMcMad

cheers guys.

It could well be pub instead of riding.
    If we make it I’ll let you know how we get on.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sambob – not me buddy not done a pootle….you rode with monogramman on monday but he was ill, i was gonna meet him as i ride with him a bit too! but i couldnt get up there that early!

what bike were you riding on monday? did see a few folk about in the forest

sambob
    Free Member

You ride around the Peaks often? Looking to find some night riders to get me fit, don’t have the willpower to go out on my own when the weather’s grim.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

shininig tor is good fun, rangers dont like ya being up there though 😉 some nice little descents off shining to either side too that drop into the goyt resevoirs, it will be ming up there tonight its the highest point in cheshire almost where your parking so if the winds up it will be 10x worse there!

sambob
    Free Member

I was on a black Specialized, with a guy on a Scott genius LT and my dad was on a blue Merida. There were loads of cars about when we got back, i was surprised just how busy it was.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahh right didnt spot ya, was looking out for ryan but i didnt know he was ill till text me later on no wonder i didnt see him ha!

yep it was the busiest i have seen it in ages on monday! absolutly rammed everywhere up there with walkers, i honestly havent seen it that busy all last year!

sambob
    Free Member

It’s flippin’ grim outside, even our garden is boggy! If MadBillMcBad is out riding, he might not return.

MadBillMcMad

he still lives!

We wussed out & went for a beer in Cheadle.
    Cheadle was remarkably non windy or rainy but as soon as I left for home it got windier & windier.

And it seems to be even grimmer this morning.

Thanks for the heads up, will save Goyt for another day.

M6TTF
    Free Member

shooters clough is always a fun one too, then climb out the other side up to pymm chair carpark

BadlyWiredDog

If you do go out in the Goyt at the moment, mind the woodwork, it’ll be slippy as hell. If I were you, I’d wait for it to freeze solid and ride it with ice tyres maybe, but I guess it’s all personal preference. There are also several cracking trails there that haven’t been mentioned yet… 🙂

carlos
    Free Member

Anyone rode Shining Tor to Lamaload, round to the Water Works and off down Berristall Lane?? Thinking of using it to get over to White Nancy.

Not till its dried a bit mind

monksie
    Free Member

Going slightly off on a tangent but for some reason, the Goyt Valley seems to have extended it’s reach into the Marple/Offerton area of Stockport according to a sign at the start of the bridleway from Otterspool to Bredbury. Further more, Rick from North West Mountain Bikes is featured in the new MBR taking them around Wood Bank (sic) which runs alongside the above mentioned ‘Goyt Valley’ bridleway.
    Nothing in or around Woodbank other than the boring bridleway above is legally rideable so that should make for an interesting read.
    I did say I was off on a tangent, didn’t I?

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

for some reason, the Goyt Valley seems to have extended it’s reach into the Marple/Offerton area of Stockport

Ah, that will be ‘cos the Goyt does ‘end’ here

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=389715&y=390907&z=110&sv=389715,390907&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=886&ax=389715&ay=390907&lm=0

in the middle of Stockport.

Hmm, so all that stuff I’ve been riding is not BW… 😉

Cheers
    Paul

monksie
    Free Member

I’ve lived here most of my life and it’s always been known by the locals as Poisebrook Valley although we used to call that stretch of the Goyt River Poisonbrook due to the filth that seeped into it via Poisebrook at Trident Foams (now sited in Furness Vale, I believe – I’m full of tangents today).

Definitely only one bridleway 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Goyt valley – cheeky stuff ?’ is closed to new replies.