Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Gower
  • JPothecary
    Free Member

Hi heading to Gower this weekend and have been looking for an off route starting around the Cefn Bryn heading to say Rhosili Down
    Only found one but link desnt work anymore

Any kind person out there have a route mapped 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

No but the Gower was the scene of some of my best ever weekends’ riding 🙂

I suspect it might not be quite such good weather for you…

maxlite
    Free Member

‘Clubber’ pic shows Kilvey hill which is to the East of Swansea, lots of trails and a dedicated downhill run 🙂

Check out Strava ‘explore’ function which will give you some idea of various trails.

clubber
    Free Member

East of Swansea? I could have sworn that’s not where it was taken but the guy in the Ritchey jersey was the one who grew up on the Gower and I tended to just follow him round so I may have got that wrong…

A quick look at the map and I reckon it’s somewhere around Clyne wood looking out towards Mumbles.

maxlite
    Free Member

Sorry it looks like Cefyn Bryn, which is on The Gower!

mikey3
    Free Member

That pics not kilvey hill is it? don’t think its looking towards mumbles either,where are all the houses? Not that I was there when the pic was taken of course 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, that sounds about right – we did tend to ride along the ridge.

psling
    Free Member

I reckon that picture is from somewhere just above Penmaen with Oxwich Bay in the background 8)

maxlite
    Free Member

Think you’re right, its the houses towards the bottom of the picture that give it away. Good starting point if you want to park up and do west of Gower loop.

clubber
    Free Member

Could well be – I did kind of think that it was further along the Gower than mumbles but as I said, I did tend to just go where I was led 🙂 Great riding though. Always loved the big grassy descent to Rhossili

rewski
    Free Member

There was a programme about the gower last night on itv, with that jones chap from alas smith and jones, wasn’t bad for itv.

veedubdave
    IanW
    Free Member

Had I not forgot the password for my photobucket account amongst the miriad of other passwords I’m supposed to remember I would post a picture of myself and a few mates on the same hill as clubber.

It’s still spoken of as one of our best days out( and there’s been a few), Google gower peninsula MTB.

IanW
    Free Member

Here you go….

Nipper99
    Free Member

My local and i’ll be out on Sunday.

Start at Southgate (nice cafe) back up the road and folllow b/w accross Pennard golf course into some woodland and nice rocky descent that brings you out in Parkmill opposite Shepherds.

Up the road a bit then turn left onto b/w which brings you out at Penmaen. Over the main road then up and onto Cefn Bryn. Along this all the way then down to the road by the Fairy Hill hotel.

Along road to Burry Green. Right at t junction on green, half a mile then b/w on your left. Straight along this and then down over Roman Bridge, up lane and onto road. Turn left along to Cheriton and Llanmadoc. Sharp left up steep hill toward Llangenith. At top of hill stoney track b/w on right will take you onto Llanmadoc Hill. Steep. At the top of the hill you will see and old Land Rover in the field on your left. There is a faint cheeky track here which follow to the trig point ontop of Llanmadoc hill. Follow singletrack straight on down quite steeply. After a few hundred yards another singletrack crosses, turn left. Follow this for quite a way and another singletrack will cross, turn right and down to the road. Turn right and on into Llangenith.

Follow to Hillend campsite an the follow b/w along the bottom of Rhossili Down to Rhossili village. Stop for tea and cake. Back out of Rhossili. Take the only left turn in Pilton which turns into rough track and then better b/w. Keep going east and thing will take you via farm yard and out onto road. Turn left and head back toward Bury Green. You will then come to the same junction that you came to in the morning as you came past Fairly Hill. Turn right and go back up and along Cefn Bryn which is just as good going back. Follow the same route back to Southgate. More tea and cakes.

On Llanmadoc Hill below:

Gower 001 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

goyawave
    Free Member

Start at Southgate (nice cafe) back up the road and folllow b/w accross Pennard golf course into some woodland and nice rocky descent that brings you out in Parkmill opposite Shepherds.

My first mountain bike route back in 1990 on my Giant Coldrock 🙄

edhornby

a beautifully timer of a cover drive….

wonnyj
    Free Member

I will be doing almost exactly the ride nipper has described on saturday with swansea wheelers cycle club. They are roadies so are fit but can’t ride for shit. You are welcome to join us. Will be a 3to 4 hr ride including cafe stop at rhosilli. Meeting 930am at pennard stores, south gate.

Nipper you too if you keen?

By the way this is basically the classic gower route as described on the stw routes section of this website
    http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/wales/the-gower/

wonnyj
    Free Member

Will be a small group probably 4 riders

JPothecary
    Free Member

wow thanks for all the replies..alas I’m attending a 50th Birthday weekend so looking to slip out very early and get back in time for Brunch without upsetting the ‘weekend away’ with my wife 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Gower’ is closed to new replies.