Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Gower trails – please recommend
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I'm thinking about a couple of days camping/beaching near Llangennith in late August. Planning to take my HT bike so am looking for nice summer trails to explore – I'm relaxed about legality.

Can a Gower local recommend some trails to seek out please?

molgrips
    Free Member

As far as I can tell there's basically one ride on the Gower – it's a cracker, but it includes basically all the trails, touring the whole peninsula.

I can get you a tracklog later if you like.

clubber
    Free Member

There's LOADs of trails there but I reckon you need a local to show you really – I used to go there for weekends (late 90s) with a mate who grew up there and we always did some brilliant trails but I'd never be able to find it on my own and I suspect that a fair bit of it was cheeky or not even marked on maps.

Ah, the memories 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, I should say there's basically one ride using what's marked on the map 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes a tracklogs would be lovely thanks molgrips (my email in profile).

As for secret stuff, I love exploring so I just need pointing at where to start looking really. Anything you can remember would be great thanks Clubber, esp. stuff fairly close to Llangennith.

clubber
    Free Member

I really couldn't help I'm afraid – it's the kind of thing where one second you're riding along a golf course and the next your on a rooty, twisty singletrack that you'd never have noticed if it hadn't been pointed out. Or riding along a grassy coast path and then suddenly turn right on a path that's not really there and plunge out of sight, on the trust that my mate knew where he was going… 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

My ride is so good you'll want to do it twice, then that'll be your weekend sorted 😉

Aidan
    Free Member

Hey molgrips, could you send me a copy of that route too? My girlfriend's parents have a house down there. We did one ride down there and it had a couple of good bits, but it would be really useful to have a steer in the right direction.

Cheers!

clubber
    Free Member

And me too, molgrips – I keep meaning to get on to my Gower mate to ask him to put down his routes and I reckon that yours might be a good starting point for him…

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok, I'll send it, but it'll be me drawing it from memory on a map so it could be fallible. I've done it twice but a long time ago.

chakaping
    Free Member

There was a route in ST some time ago. Might be worth searching out.

I read the feature and recognised some of it from walking at Rhoselli (sp?) last summer. Looked like it'd be quite a nice ride.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

would it be against riding/forum etiquette to post this map up as a pic?

I'm there in august too and if the waves are crap (which is very likely) I'm not going horse riding! A nice route to follow would be ace 🙂

Twodogs

I should be able to send you a gpx track if that works for you? has some good stuff on it…maybe more scenery oriented that singletrack. I thought the singeltrack route went the wrong way round imho!!

Twodogs

oh and my route starts at my house, which isn't mandatory!!

vdubber67
    Free Member

How about this…

singletrack route

brakeswithface

That singletrack route is defo the wrong way round! Although thinking about it Rhossili Down rides better that way round – south end is most possible to ride up, and north end the most exciting to ride down. Also crossing Bury Pill is better North-South. I would do that ride from Penmaen and finish along the top of Cefn Bryn – for me a downhill finish is mandatory.

brakeswithface

There's a couple of good (and legal) trails further east as well. Penmaen to Parkmill is good, as is Southgate golf course to Parkmill, and Southgate to Pwll Du.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

When this topic came up last year i bookmarked the thread:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/best-all-day-route-in-the-gower
    Might be some use?

midlifecrashes

I was down there last Easter and had a cracking ride basically following the Gower Way from Worm's Head up to Gowerton. I was staying in Mumbles so scooted down the Sustrans type path back down to Mumbles to finish. More than three quarters of the Gower Way is marked as bridleway, and I took a couple of obvious detours to avoid footpaths. There is quite a lot of bridleway and small lanes around the southern section so a full loop wouldn't be hard to work out with some road. Trail pixies had been busy in Clyne Woods too. Lots of sandy fun around Three Cliffs Bay, (legally)across the golf course and around the woods on the main road, and good coffee and cake in Pennard Stores cafe in Southgate. Catch the tide right and you could cover nearly half the southern coast riding along the beaches.

brakeswithface

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3910265 incorporates the "best of the rest" IMO. Route's very rough – compare it with the OS.

molgrips
    Free Member

That singletrack route is basically what I was going to post, but extended down into Penmaen.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

That's a fantastic response everyone. GPX's are good – I look at them on Google Earth. I'm going to buy an OS map and mark all this info up.

Cheers all

molgrips
    Free Member

Also check out wheresthepath.googlepages.com for the checking out of routes.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I'm off to llangenith with bikes and boards tomorrow. 😀

all this info will be very handy!

maxlite
    Free Member

You can loop together ''Southgate golf course to Parkmill, and Southgate to Pwll Du' with Clyne by going over golf course bridle way at Murton to Clyne farm.

Clubber's pic is Kilvey hill (east side of Swansea) which also has a purpose built downhill run

clubber
    Free Member

Cool – when was the DH run added in then? Really must go back.

maxlite
    Free Member

DH run has been there for 3 or more years

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Missed this as I was on holiday.. in the Brecons and Gower

Just in case anyone comes back to this thread..

Re Clyne trails, check out the map and info here:

http://www.clyneriders.co.uk/

http://www.clyneriders.co.uk/images/Clyne%20Riders%20developments%20med.jpg

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Gower trails – please recommend’ is closed to new replies.