Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • GOV CONSULTATION ON IMPROVING CYCLING SAFTEY
  • ajaj
    Free Member

Oh dear, they want to introduce compulsory registration, insurance and licensing. Wouldn’t be asking those questions otherwise.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Bump.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    genubah
    Free Member

The vision of Life Paint coming closer to reality.

Marked sheep

bikebouy
    Free Member

The age of microchipped humans is very near..

However, this government are utterly inept and too busy fighting one another any vying for the best posturing lie to even consider “consultation” with the great unwashed.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m expecting mandatory hi vis with a registration number between the shoulder blades 🙄

poly
    Free Member

Ajaj – what questions are they asking that lead you to believe they want to add the cost, inconvenience, and zero benefit or registration etc?  Did you actually read the consultation.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Survey completed.  Didn’t take long.  I would suggest every rider on here completes it so we don’t get drowned out by the car lobby.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve filled it in as well. Probably a waste of time ☹ But better than just whinging on here about stuff.

ajaj
    Free Member

Poly – it’s a government consultation. The purpose of government consultations is to collect evidence to support what the government wants to do, not to actually consult about anything.

As explained here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

In this example you give a list of ways in which car drivers are licensed, how they can have their licences taken away and you mention Charlie Alliston and Bikeability. Then you ask “Do you have any suggestions on the way road users are trained …” It’s clearly designed to create responses that say “introduce a mandatory cycle riding licence given after Bikeability training and allow the courts to take it away”.

vincienup
    Free Member

I replied and suggested that I think existing laws are broadly sufficient but woefully under-respected by all parties and when enforced that drivers who main and kill are not treated proportionately. I also suggested the Government could discuss with the media the reporting and opinion pieces with a view to defusing/removing the ‘cars vs bikes’ thing from the public consciousness so that we could all begin to learn to get along.  I’m not really expecting a great result from this consultation for cyclists, I agree that policy has already been prepared and this is about how the Government can best present what they have decided.

Junkyard
    Free Member

done

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Add going for a bike ride down the local high street at commuting time to driving test.

Job jobbed.

But, in all seriousness, it’s only when you get into .someone else’s (SPD) shoes that you understand and change behaviour. My driving changdc significantly after getting a motorcycle license and later, commuting by bicycle

whitestone
    Free Member

Safe passing distance of 1.5 metres.

Compulsory lessons to include bicycle lessons as well as it being part of the test.

Remove the indication to juries about what a competent driver would do.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘GOV CONSULTATION ON IMPROVING CYCLING SAFTEY’ is closed to new replies.