Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Gouged carbon swingarm
  • davosaurusrex

Swingarm damage

So my lovely new carbon Mondraker Crafty suffered this transit damage today, slightly gutted. The biggest rub is fairly deep. What say the forum carbon experts? I’m guessing the carbon is thick enough that it’s not an issue structurally? And should I put something on there to protect it, nail polish or something?

lightfighter762
    Free Member

If no fibres exposed I would just hit it with easy composites ef1 which is black. Tape it so it sets flush and forget it.

dovebiker

Doesn’t look too serious/just cosmetic as the swingarm material will be a couple of mm thick. I would rub it down to smooth it out and apply a clear lacquer to seal the surface and maybe some protective tape as it’s where bikes are likely to suffer minor damage in transit, falling over and general use – maybe one of those faux carbon chain stay protectors?

nickjb
    Free Member

That wouldn’t bother me riding wise. Just ride it or touch up the paint then ride it

simono5

Had same, maybe worse, following a bale and rock strike in the Peaks.

Took mine to a bike spray shop who filled and re-sprayed the section.

Although the paint eventually rubbed off due to heal rub, I’ve had zero issues structurally.

Just forget it and send it.

Speshpaul

In the words of Boris Johnson, I’ve ridden worse.
    I’d hit it with some polish or tcut first see how it looks. Then maybe some Matt Matt lacquer

davosaurusrex

Cheers guys. Frame is UD carbon, no paint (I think) so just need to figure best filler for colour match and longevity, prob something clear matt as said, any suggestions?

footflaps

Annoying, but I’d happily ride that…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.