Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Got Sat Naved for the first time at the weekend.
  • Shakey
    Free Member

I have had my TomTom GO for over two years and love it. Its basic compared with other newer TomTom's but has never let me down.

That is until last weekend when I was in the Lake district. We were in my mates Ford Ranger driving to a Scout Camp site near Newby Bridge and were taking the 'Fastest' route which involved some quite narrow roads. Anyway, we get to a point where the TomTom says go down a narrow dirt track which says 'No Through Road', we duly ignored the sign being in a 4×4 and after a couple of hundred yards come to a very narrow dead end – doh! 😳

We just about managed to turn around and the retraced our steps to the road and turned left. The Sat Nav recalculated and told us to continue and then take the first left. This was signposted as a 'Ford', this time we thought about it but also misread the height marker. We thought it said 1 foot but it must of said 2. Anyway, we went for it and although the Ranger struggled we got through (I think my Discovery may have coped a little better!) – phew! 😆

Not sure I will be taking my Sat Nav quite for granted again in the future!!

meehaja
    Free Member

your doing it all wrong! When I first joined the ambulance service we had exciting new fangled sat nav's, which most staff would ignore having learnt the area by map. Working with one of the older techs, who was following the sat nav blindly we were directed down a narrow road. I warned the driver that there was a narrow bridge ahead. he didn't slow. a sign said narrow bridge ahead, 6ft 6 max. he didn't slow. I told him we were 7ft 2 wide, he didn't slow. on seeing the bridge, he simply sped up. afterwards he informed me that the weight/height/width/length signs are just "guidelines" and he'd "barely scratched it". (cut two big groves along the length of the whole body). Fortunatley he's retired now, and I know to avoid whackhouse lane.

toby1

There I was assuming this referred to being rear-ended by a to$$er too busy fiddling with the dumb sat nav to notice the stationary traffic ahead!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

a Scout Camp site near Newby Bridge

Tower Wood ?

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

You went past a sign that said "no through road" and were surprised when you came to a dead end.
    How do you manage with other daily tasks, i.e. eating, walking, using the toilet? FFS.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Dave Vanderspek

Did you not read what he said ?

He has a 4×4, this of course negates the need to follow any road rules, signs or indeed show any consideration for other road users 😉

Shakey
    Free Member

SFB – I think its called Great Tower!

Dave Vanderspek – Member

You went past a sign that said "no through road" and were surprised when you came to a dead end.
    How do you manage with other daily tasks, i.e. eating, walking, using the toilet? FFS.

Obviously, I was not completely surprised when I came to a dead end but it could be implying that normal 2 wheel drive cars may not be able to continue where a 4×4 would be okay.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

There is nothing more to add to that.

Rich_s
    will
    Free Member

😆

Reminds me of this classic thread:
    http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/82089-never-trust-sat-nav.html

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Got Sat Naved for the first time at the weekend.’ is closed to new replies.