• This topic has 48 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • got myself a cheap joystick
  • cozz
    Free Member

so, was looking at getting an exposure joystick, new one MK12

down from £160 to £120 on halyards website, so popped one in basket, then it dropped another £20 off ( cos its £20 off any cycling stuff over £100)

so £100 for a new one, had to pick up from my 3 rd most local shop, but still a good deal

and with a Hope r8 on bars and that on my lid, I’m sorted

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good wee lights, good price too.

mucker

I’m waiting in the postie bringing me one but I’m now wondering why the Axis is slightly cheaper only slightly heavier but with more light output and similar runtimes.
    For context it’s to be run as a helmet light with a Troutlight Liberator on the bars.

ogden
    Free Member

Is the mk11 worth it? £81 after bc discount

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Great lights, well made and love the self contained nature of them. Just upgraded to a diablo mk 9 after upgrading my bar lights as they were over powering the joystick when I tried to focicus on looking at the exit to the corners. Winstsnley bikes had the extra power crells with drcent discounts s few weeks ago as well

Mowgli
    Free Member

Good spot. I’m now £100 lighter as well 🙄 Don’t suppose the British Cycling discount will be applicable as it’s already on sale, but worth a try I guess.

richardthird

It will if you’re collecting.

7% Quidco cashback today too.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Does Quidco work if it’s paid for in store? They only do reservations online, not the actual transaction.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Remember to use the lanyard, I lost mine when the helmet mount failed.

TiRed

Ordered. Thanks. I lost my old one some time ago and never replaced it. BC discount too.

jackal
    Free Member

Is it me or are these only available in 3 stores?

riddoch

Seems to be In the ones branded Cyclic Republics not the main stores, not sure how many there are of those.
    Might be worth trying to get a price match from Evans though.

nedrapier

Thanks! 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

@ogden – I’ve the Mk11, it’s fine. Slightly lower output – 850(Mk11) vs 1000(Mk12) but with a longer run time on low output – 36hrs (Mk11) vs 24hrs(Mk12).

nedrapier

the battery life is going to be similar, isn’t it? it’s the same battery, and even though on “high” 1000 is going to drain faster than 850, the low setting is going be pretty similar on both, surely?

whitestone
    Free Member

Just going from figures on Evans’ site, checked on Exposure’s site and they are giving 36hrs run time on low.

chakaping
    Free Member

Kind-of glad the nearest one to me is 170 miles away.

Spent enough this week.

zippykona

I’ve got 2 joysticks. One a year old and one 2 years old.
    Last year they were the same brightness. This year the older one is noticeably dimmer.
    Would a failing battery have reduced life or reduced brightness?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Runtimes on low are pretty pointless, who uses them on low, commuters aside?.

nedrapier

I use mine as a bar light for commuting and a helmet light for mtb rides. It’s on low for commuting and climbing, only gets bammed up a notch or for faster bits, but to be fair I probably don’t bother turning it down again once it’s up.

Edit: [after ben’s below] And you’re going to want to have it low for some of the time. Whose bike rides are all 1.5 hours or less?

benp1

Someone doing a long ride, maybe solo, in open terrain that doesn’t require a lot of light

Like a long bikepacking race/ride

(It’s a small group I give you that!)

whitestone
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge – I used my Joystick on the HT550, it was fine on low since I’d often be on low tech trails (like estate tracks) at that time of night. The only time I used medium or high was on the last night where I rode through the night and got onto the West Highland Way out of Ft William and needed it for the faster bits and for the downhill into Kinlochleven (but it was getting towards dawn by then and once out of the trees I actually turned it off).

One charge lasted the whole ride (five days/nights), in fact the charge indicator was still green so I’d used less than 50% of the charge. I’d a powerbank battery to recharge things but I did try and manage the power I was using both with the light and with the GPS and phone.

As Ben and nedrapier say, you don’t need full power when climbing or not doing fast technical downhills.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge – I used my Joystick on the HT550

As Ben rightly says then, very few folk! 😆

whitestone
    Free Member

Yes, not exactly a huge market, but it’s one that forces you to make the best of what’s out there.

I’d like it if you could program the light to come up in a preferred/default level rather than simply “high” but accept that it’s a feature that very few people need/care about for Exposure to implement it.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Kind-of glad the nearest one to me is 170 miles away.

Spent enough this week.

I just got Evans to price match down to £100 and they offer free delivery 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think exposures recent forees into new tech have been a bit shit tbh, the tap feature is pointless for any kind of offroad riding as it is, I’d rather they concentrated on burn time at high level – which then filters down to the likes of your needs, and keep up the quality levels.

I have a joystick on the bars for techy climbing, diablo on the head for descending, that gives over 2.5 hrs burn time, perfect for a night ride, but as said above, others have different priorities.

nedrapier

Is the Reflex tech on the bigger lights any good? Quite interested if it works.

benp1

Conversely, I quite like the TAP function

Means I can switch it quick rather than looking for the button. I use a red eye micro in the back so means the button is harder to get to

I use my joystick on the road so don’t need that function, but the diablo is my off road light so being able to change quickly is great

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a couple of competing demands here: if they don’t update their models reasonably regularly then reviews complain that “The XXX hasn’t been updated for 3 years now”. On the other hand it doesn’t take too many updates to get to the point where updates of any significance become quite hard to do.

The single button to do everything is a bit awkward IMO but the fewer gaps in the casing the better for protecting against water ingress. Some models now have wireless/Bluetooth connectivity and an app so you can properly/conveniently program the light, I can see this slowly being moved down the range.

I’m not defending or criticising Exposure here, just stating an opinion.

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve got a six pack for the bars and it does work very well. Although last ride I did involved a steep descent at 40mph, and for some reason it didn’t whack it up to full power. Having to check at that speed wasn’t ideal.

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve got a six pack for the bars and it does work very well. Although last ride I did involved a steep descent at 40mph, and for some reason it didn’t whack it up to full power. Having to check at that speed wasn’t ideal.

iainc

That Evans price match on Halfords at £100 is indeed handy … 🙂

nwmlarge
    Free Member

nice one for bringing this up, off to collect mine on the way home.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

“The XXX hasn’t been updated for 3 years now”

Which is a strange view! There’s so many lights in the exposure range, I don’t really see that as an issue. If a light is good, and does it’s job, then the only update I’d look for it runtime, pattern and brightness, and they do that most years.

whitestone
    Free Member

I think you’ve misunderstood what I wrote. It wasn’t specifically about Exposure nor was it my personal view. If a reviewer is doing a group test then why include an “old” light? The light might be more than the equal of those being tested but it isn’t “new”, etc., there’s the “must have the latest and greatest” syndrome as well. Of course a company also wants to keep its products in the spotlight (sic).

Looking at the new Joystick I suspect that the increased output will be mostly down to new generation LEDs since little else in the spec appears to have changed since the previous iteration.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not misunderstood, I know you were saying that folks will have that view, not you!.

FWIW I don’t take any notice of light reviews anyway, as they’re skewed to the big boys usually, and exposure kinda don’t really need reviews, they sell themselves.

whitestone
    Free Member

OK, we’ll agree to err, agree 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

mucker

Had a few problems ordering one last night so had to speak to Halfords customer services. I had a discount code which took 10% of the original price as well, making it an £88 bargain.
    Anyway I’ve got another 10% discount code if anyone else wants it, it’s a one use only code.

W54091702638

the00
    Free Member

I have one reserved in Birmingham if anyone wants it. Needs collecting today or tomorrow. PM me and reply here if you want it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘got myself a cheap joystick’ is closed to new replies.