Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Got hope hubs? Noisy bees
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

Listen to this, I know how fast I am going by the angry bee noise following me. This is fast

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Schladming-RAW-with-Adam-Brayton,22922/joebo,1905

bigtimebones
    Free Member

Great video, some tasty shredding.

My hubs are loud but nothing like that. A new prototype?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Must be the new version of the pro2 evo with the new engagement. They said it sounds different.

It’s is a great vid. Like others have said really nice to actually hear the riding as well as see it.

bigjim

man that is fast. saw him win at the BDS at inners a few months back.

so nice to have a riding video without some terrible music over it, interesting to hear how much the back wheel skiffs under braking.

kristoff
    Free Member

Great vid.

As said nice just to see the riding instead of music over the top.

Got to love the hope sound 🙂

rephlexer

gas2flat is both hilarious & beautiful to watch

can’t wait to see him smoking the pro field again

ianfitz
    Free Member

Thanks for posting that link. Seriously impressive!!

None of my hope hubs sound like that. But I think it’s possibly because they’ve never gone that quick. 😉

somafunk

My ti glide with titanium freehub from 1994 sounds very similar, very loud ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ sound when you freewheel – brilliant for ensuring pedestrians are aware of you.

Fantastic riding in the vid, gives a reals sense of speed and like others have said that’s some serious skills on a bike.

chiefgrooveguru

He is a hell of a rider – there was a Dirt article about him a while back, absolutely sending these huge jumps in a Lake District quarry. I feel so slow…

Northwind

Such an exciting rider on teh bike, love the way the bike’s all over the place but he’s just such a centre of calm on top

Aren’t hope upping the engagement with asymetric pawls? (so that instead of 4 pawls engaging, 2 engage at a time, twice as often) Could explain the zzzzzzzzz

user-removed
    Free Member

Damn that’s quick! Stuff like that terrifies me…

somafunk

Just watched it again, jeez he’s fast through those berms, even the cameraman lets out an exclamation or giggle every so often.

Viewing that sort of skill level with those speeds involved and the smoothness of his riding style makes my attempts at “pinning it” to look rather ungainly and mediocre to say the least, I might as well face up to the truth….I’m never going to be that fast nor as talented on a bike ever.

Phew!….thank god that’s the pressure off me now,i guess i can have another whisky and put my feet up to watch it again 😀

jools182
    Free Member

Great vid

That’s scary fast

rOcKeTdOg

Compared to that I’m riding backwards…slowly 🙁 amazing stuff

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Boring tech alert – The buzzing is the new pick up on the redesigned barrels, less click more buzz, I’ve been running the proto for a while too and it’s really nice with very fast pick up.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Aren’t hope upping the engagement with asymetric pawls? (so that instead of 4 pawls engaging, 2 engage at a time, twice as often) Could explain the zzzzzzzzz

From an engineering p.o.v. its impossible to genuinely get full and even spread of load across more than 2 pawls. High numbers of multiple pawls are a bit of a gimmick. Asymetric engagement will be a really easy way for Hope to halve the engagement time.

While there are multiple pawls in every freehub, at any one moment only one or two are typically engaged with a tooth. For the sake of trivia, no matter the number of pawls engaged, at a given instant in the wheel’s rotation all of the driving force is placed on one pawl.

^ this isn’t quite[/] correct – slight play in hub shell & freehub bearings would allow more than one pawl to take load

modig
    Free Member

Amazing riding!
    Really nice to hear the freehub and the pattering of the tyres 🙂

Any word on when the updated hubs will be available?

/Johan

simmy
    Free Member

That’s scary fast

I need them hubs. I find that the standard Hope Hubs get walkers out the way as they wonder what the noise is, turn, see me coming and move out the way imagine how fast they will move if they think a swarm of Bees are coming 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

For sale, Hope pro 2 rear hub.
    Wanted, One of those buzzy ones.

Mackem

That’s the best vid i’ve seen that shows the speed of a pro.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

His version of mountain biking and mine bear as much resemblance as me nipping to the shops in my Transit does with Word Rally Driving.

molgrips
    Free Member

He’s doing everything I do.. except about 3x as fast and 3x as big, that’s what’s impressive 🙂

Actually, that’s not true, in those berms at the top he seems to be flicking the bike around with his arse.. that’s cool.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Nerves of steel, cool as ice. The most impressive thing appart from the control of the rider are the brakes, they are shaving serious speed off within just 4 or 5 metres.

Impressive.

chives
    Free Member

Great riding – I wish I could get anywhere near that level of ability / speed!

On the hub pick up thing – I’ve been running Pro 2 evo with modified pawls (2 pawl engagement – 48 point pick up) for a while now, seems to work fine. Not sure it sounds as cool as that though (probably cause I’m not riding at mach 2 !)

mikey74
    Free Member

My Atomlab hubs sound like that, but they have 6 pawls 😯

That was some fast riding, and he’s not even amongst the top 20 😯

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I rode like that the other day, then woke up & spilled my Cornflakes.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Epic speed, lovely bike, so much trail carving going on!

The hope pro 2’s are fondly called the “rambler scatterers” around here, bells not required LOL

cruzcampo
    Free Member
    singlespeedstu

Got hope hubs? Noisy bees

Angry Bees sound betterer. 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACqR7HtV9GI[/video]

Nice riding though.

yorlin
    Free Member

Lovely vid!

There are other ways to get the same sound effect though…

MrSmith
    Free Member

i bet it’s all happening in slo-mo in his head.
    for me it’s the other way round. 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

1.25: Sounds like Bob Dylan

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Unbelievable riding. I liked the way you could see his front wheel washing out and skipping in one or two sections. That would have had me lifting off pin panic but it doesn’t phase him.

As for the noise, he had a front mudguard on. Could it possibly have had rubber flaps on the end of the mudguard like my Raleigh Striker or Boxer did, so you could fold them back on themselves and create that noise?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Aren’t hope upping the engagement with asymetric pawls? (so that instead of 4 pawls engaging, 2 engage at a time, twice as often)

I’ve read that only 1 pawl ever engages even when 2 or 3 are meant to*, so it would make sense to me to try and do this to improve pick-up*

* how they know this is beyond me!
    ** useless as fast pick up is.

benji
    Free Member

Damn that’s quick! Stuff like that terrifies me…

You aren’t alone, very impressive skills, interested to see at one point rather than steering with the front of the bike, he flicks the back of the floor, and then puts it back down in the direction he wants to then be going.

Sandwich

A good demonstration of riding on the ragged edge, where the very fast hang out on the verge of a big crash. I know how to do the big crash bit!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Got hope hubs? Noisy bees’ is closed to new replies.