Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Gorrick G100 this Saturday
  • mccraque

Anyone? Going to do the 5 lapper I think.

I’ve ridden Minley in the BM series and am wondering (as I always do) which bike to choose. Am thinking again of taking the chubby solaris, sucking up the weight and getting the comfort factor of some balloon tyres. Of course, being June it will not rain in the week leading up to the event.

Anyone else involved? And what will you be riding?

Kryton57

Well, I’m in.   However im in as a Training race with a target of XC specific zone two. Im doing the whole distance slowly and taking my Spark for latter lap comfort.

Im might even dress in civvies.

If I make it it’ll be a huge feat as its the last session in whats been a gruelling training block, but my coach will be present so its accountability to the max!

mccraque

I definitely need one of these Sparks. Having a credit card on my person in Llandovery and being 4 pints deep next to the Scott stand nearly didn’t end well….

I’ll not be racing. I will be in civvies. I expect to be lapped several times by the fluro Boompods and like you @Kryton57 I am using it as a training session to a big event next month.

What is the best way to carry fuel for these longer events….just a small box in a pit area with a few gels and spare bottle?

Kryton57

Well, Minley is a circuit so yes there is a Pit area to leave bottles and gels.

I have a light USWE hydro pack which ill use though, plus a bottle and gels so enough fuel on board for 4hrs with some extras in the pits, seeing as speed isnt an issue for me.

Get a Spark they are very excellent!   If you email the Scott Marathon chaps you can probably hire one for Exmoor/Hope and try it out.

thepurist

What is the best way to carry fuel for these longer events….just a small box in a pit area with a few gels and spare bottle?

If you’re ‘not racing’ and ‘in civvies’ than a wicker basket on the pannier should be fine 😀

mccraque

🙂

john_l
    Free Member

Any idea what conditions are like there at the moment?

Racing the 5 lap as well – Singular Swift SS. Just dithering on tyre choice ;o)

jay_tht
    Free Member

Went through Minley on way home from work this evening and rode some of the trails which I have to say in great shape.

Only a couple places where a puddle is so be a ace for the race.

Have fun all.

patagonian
    Free Member

Just got home after riding the circuit. Basically as Jay says above – dry with the odd damp bit.
    It flows quite well so I think it will be quite fast.

Kryton57

It flows quite well so I think it will be quite fast

Thats good to know seeing as I need to average 15kmph for 7 hours.

johnjn2000

My kids are doing it while I watch, they are only allowed 1 lap option, can’t remember how far that is. First XC race for them so interested to see how they feel with other racers being on the trail. They have only done timed downhill before when it was just them alone on the run.

Ewan
    Free Member

Might try this – probably 4 laps, as I have stuff to do this afternoon. Is it actually a race or an endurance challenge? Assuming the former, how do you know who you should be passing / giving way to if people are doing different numbers of laps?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’m still out – knee. Hopefully only another 6-8wks….

I love the G100 – a really good long & competitive race. Gutted to be missing it..

Ewan, it’s a race not an off-road sportive.

Ewan
    Free Member

Well I’m here and entered. Apparently just ride as fast as you can and top three get a prize. Don’t think I’ll need to worry about that – no one else has decided their enduro bike is the way forward!

Ewan
    Free Member

Well that hurt! Good track tho – very up and downy with lots of off camber damp roots.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Did the lap go up or down “banksy”?

john_l
    Free Member

Down

Kryton57

Well that was ok.   Tired now though, I do hate that soft dusty loam that sucks the bike in, but nice to have it dry.

Stuck to my training plan and plodded around in z2 – the last effort of a monumental 3 week Training block in which I’ve logged 800 ride/turbo Kms, so I’m pretty shattered. Enjoyed the trails and it was nice to ride them without the pressure of racing, and despite the low effort managed not to come last – not that it mattered.

I do wish people would listen the comms, “rider passing” is not a great shout when approaching a tired rider in the middle of single track between trees.

patagonian
    Free Member

Kryton57 ….. Did you manage 15kmph?

Kryton57

Nope.  But i didnt need to, as the laps were only 11k…

mccraque

@Kryton57 the first lap was 10 miles. My garmin seemed to go tits up on the second and I managed way less. 4 or 5 miles.

Were you onca black and lumo Spark? You pissed past us if so.

First lap was a nightmare. Tape was broken everywhere- people stopped, scratching heads and wondering where they’d taken a wrong turn. Good thereafter.

Great event. Shame it’s the last but i am guessing based on numbers, there could’ve been a few more.

Kryton57

Were you onca black and lumo Spark

No, mine is the black/white/red.   The 7 laps was a fast start though, I saw the sprint from the back and thought “blimey” then the leaders came past me on lap 2.  You can see by the 35 min laps times there’s some fast riders at the top end.

Despite my lower effort I feel battered today!

john_l
    Free Member

Yeah, that broken tape was a real pain. At least it was fixed pretty quick.

Enjoyed the course and managed some very consistent lap times.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Gorrick G100 this Saturday’ is closed to new replies.