Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Gorrick Enduro. 02 May
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

Who is booked in to ride?
    I was a little confused though, it says you can book to ride 7 x 10 mile laps and (or a shorter number of laps) take whatever time you like.
    Is there a final cut-off time?

br
    Free Member

There is a cut-off, but it doesn't say so…

Basically start at the described time, we are doing the 4 lapper so will start at 10:30. Then you are counted at the end of each lap (there is a chicane and timing hut).

njee20
    Free Member

The cut off is common sense really, rather than a defined time. If you come around having taken 10 hours for 6 laps, they're unlikely to send you out for a 7th, usually it's because Time Laps want to go home, understandably!

I'm gonna do 3 or 4, can't decide. Always a good event though.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Looking at 7 laps but if I am a little too steady, I'm sure they'll Black Flag me & send me home!

Need to try 2x bikes out on the same ride, not something I've done before and I need to get the whole feeding & riding thing underway, so it'll be more of a training ride than a full-on race for me.

See you down there.
    (what's an average steady lap time likely to be?)

rbrstr
    Free Member

Hi all, I'm booked in for the 5 lap race, does anyone know how this event compares to the muc-off? In terms of difficulty,elevation?
    Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

Didn't do the Muc-Off, but Swinley's far flatter than Pippingford and it drains better, so it'll be much faster. Nothing technical either, lots of fast flowing singletrack.

glenncampbell

The course last year was around 10.6 miles long with 750ft of climbing per lap, so great for longer rides and the hills aren't toooo bad at all!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Just want to make my excuses now: I've been out for 7 days thus far with a cold. Hope to ride on Sunday.
    I'm going to be trialing changing bikes ever lap and sort out my feeding / hydration with some new powders & some different food. New tyres too.

Hope to make 5 laps but signed in for the 7 lap race as it means I can start early.

See you all down there.

DT78
    Free Member

Me and mate booked in for 5. Tbh if we'd seen the forecast when we booked we probably wouldn't have….any well paid now, got to do it.

nicks
    Free Member

in for the 7 laps.

last year lap time for my 7 laps where around 42-46mins i think

its a great course …. so much better than muc off

juan
    Free Member

So it's not an enduro then more a marathon race i guess 😉

br
    Free Member

Mudguards maybe needed…

Ti29er
    Free Member

Do we need to swap out the the summer tyres (RRalfs) for the winter tyres or will they be fine as they are?
    Not at all familiar with Swinley.

Plus the Crud catchers.

cinnamon_girl

Real men don't use mud guards. 🙄

Racing Ralphs will be fine.

nicks
    Free Member

ralph's fitted ….

mudwhat ????

Ti29er
    Free Member

I noticed on at least one club rides page they ask you to do just that as it makes life for those behind you a lttle less filthy!

C.G. Are you racing?

nicks
    Free Member

mudguards and racing surly not !

cinnamon_girl

C.G. Are you racing?

I've just picked myself up from the floor. 😯

Nah, I'm more interested in Forum Rides and generally behaving badly. 😀

Ti29er
    Free Member

& a full face helmet.
    I was thinking of an orange boiler suit too. 😉

br
    Free Member

its not real mud there, its more peaty/sandy – so it doesn't really stick to the bike

I'll be on NN's

Ti29er
    Free Member

Friday's child is full of cold.

njee20
    Free Member

I've still got a Rocket Ron/Furious Fred combo, can't decide whether to chance it or just fit a Ron on the back.

Mudguards on the road for group riding, where they really do make a difference, not off road, they're just wrong!

Jason
    Free Member

I am just leaving the Crossmarks on, they will do fine at Swinley whatever the weather.

Mudguards for long wet rides off road, it makes a difference. On Sunday I am just doing three laps, so won't bother with mud guards – plus I am not too sure if I have one that will fit on my seatpost.

I have just noticed that Gorrick now have a map of the course on their website.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ti29er is it coming together?

njee20
    Free Member

Has it changed that much, looks the same to me!

DT78
    Free Member

Do we just park at the lookout / normal entrance for Swinley or is there a seperate entrance for the race.

Looking at the map online I can't see the lookout mentioned so not quite sure

njee20
    Free Member

Different entrance, wide fireroad straight off the A322, so if you're coming from the north you'll have to go around the roundabout and head back towards the Coral Reef roundabout.

Here

DT78
    Free Member

Ok thanks, coming from the south so will look for the flags/signs off the A322 – they seem to be usually quite obvious.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, you won't miss it, it is literally just a turn off the dual carriageway!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Old.
    I'm in two minds.
    Having paid my £, I would like to ride, but wonder if, feeling like I right now, I'll do myself more harm than good.

I can just pass it up & continue to ride from say Tuesday onwards and crack on with my own preparations and ignore Sunday's event.

I'm easy either way – I just want to be back to some fitness and ready for the 24hr event in 22 days HERE, which means I'll need to rest from about the 17/18th.

anjs
    Free Member

Hum 7 times up "UR joking" is going to be fun.

njee20
    Free Member

Which is that then? We did 'the wall' last year, or is that the same trail? There's nothing long at Swinley, so even if it's steep it'll only take a minute or so!

anjs
    Free Member

oh its on the same fireroad as the Wall but you go past the clubhouse on your left and then is big hill. Longer and steeper than the wall. I think it will live up to its name

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe that is the one we did last year then, I forget! Sure it'll be fine!

cakerider

Starting to get a tad concerned as have entered this, though only doing 3 laps as week after London marathon.

Meant to get round to putting gears on the bike (failed) so going to be a slow singlespeed slog.

oldgit
    Free Member

So the 24 is still on, good man.

TBH one of the things that put me off 24 solos was training all year for two or three events and finding yourself floored by a common cold the Friday before the event. At one mountain mayhem it was all I could do to manage a single lap. That's why I've turned my focus back to racing.

njee20
    Free Member

XC racing requires much less mental toughness too! If you get bored during an XC race then something's very wrong!

njee20
    Free Member

Now suggesting lighter showers than they were, hopefully it'll be alright!

I've still got a Furious Fred on the back, decided I'll change tomorrow if the bikes look particularly bad coming round! Worth it for the advantage on the fireroads!

Give us a wave if you see me, 4 laps, black/yellow Beyond MTBs kit, Top Fuel, green Oakley Radars unless it's really raining!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Gorrick Enduro. 02 May’ is closed to new replies.