Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gorrick brass monkeys
  • alwillis

Anyone else venturing out tomorrow?

I’m in for all 3 events (4hr) as a kick up the backside over winter and the start of mayhem solo prep. I expect to be riding pretty steadily tomorrow after a few weeks off the bike recently.

akira

Yeah there on the fatbike, although not been out as much as I’d like and work Christmas do tonight so unlikely to be setting the world on fire.

Kryton57

I’m there after 6 weeks of vo2max training without a rest week in a Training Race capacity.

I can barely stay awake at home so tomorrows is going to be hard slog with no outcome other than 4hrs in the Saddle expected. I certainly wont be up to par.

akira

Well if you see a guy throwing up beside a tree on an on one fatty try not to stare.

weeksy

Lol I’m tempted now just so you guys are not the worst STWer.

padkinson
    Free Member

I’ll be there. Planning on riding over so should be a decent 5-6 hour day. I did that a couple of times last year and bonked so hard on the way back I could barely see!
    Riding my winter hack that weighs as much as a neutron star, so not sure how well I’ll go, good workout anyhow.

weeksy

Ah. It’s sold out anyway

Kryton57

For all the reasons above, I found that hard work then compounded a mediocre day by misjudging the timing and scooting off early. That’ll teach me to put laps/time on my computer before I ride, although the last lap would have been a slow one anyway, I was pooped.

Saw Padkinson and Ant White shoot of the start line at monumental speed for a 4h!

Enjoyed the course though, and good to say hello to Yak & Mrs Yak.

padkinson
    Free Member

I had a fairly abrupt fall from grace after that fast start! Halfway round the first lap I tried a bit of a hero line gapping between two stumps and messed it up, got fired over the bars. After I’d got going again my bottle cage came loose, then I punctured. After that had sealed I started to feel properly rough, simultaneously bonking and very sick, so just plodded round. My last lap was something like 40 minutes!
    That was the worst I’ve felt on a bike in quite a while and I’m not really sure why, hopefully I’m not coming down with something ‘orrible.

Yak

Yeah, enjoyed that. Hadn’t ridden much at all in the last month or so, so getting a steady ride in on the 4hr race was the plan and it went fine. Course was good, the weather behaved and the crowd great as ever. Mrs Yak got on the podium and had a decent ride too. Good to catch up kryton57.

richP

I thought that was great. Fantastic, fun course from the Gorrick team, avoiding all the standing water from the recent rain. Perfect weather (can’t believe how mild it was, probably the first brass monkey race I’ve ridden in shorts!)

Got off to a good start in the 4hr with a good group of 6 (which became 5 when padkinson decided to lie down for a bit). Was a bit too cautious on lap 2 in traffic and when the course seemed to get a bit slippier and lost touch. Then slowly found my flow again from lap 3 onwards with the gap to Ant gradually decreasing; only for him to gift me 2nd place when his laptime mental arithmetic misled him into thinking he didn’t have time for an 8th lap. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gorrick brass monkeys’ is closed to new replies.