Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Gorilla tape tubeless.
  • zippykona

Going to try this on my fatty. Do I need the black stuff or the clear?

scotroutes

Dunno but just for info, I set up my DT Swiss fat rims with electrical insulating tape.

whitestone
    Free Member

I use the black tape. For a fat bike rim you’ll need a couple of wraps – there is a very wide width of GT about but I’ve never managed to source any.

sharkattack

Black Gorilla tape works but please, for the love of God, use electrical tape first. Just to keep the glue off the rim. It’s near impossible to remove and an absolute pig of a job.

honourablegeorge

The clear works ok and it comes in widths that might suit a fat rim, makes less mess than the black.

eyestwice
    Free Member

As @sharkattack says, black Gorilla tape is amazing. If you never want to remove it.

I second the suggestion for electrical tape first.

peajay

I have other brother darl rims, surly rim strip and then one wrap of the wide black gorilla tape. Had this set up for 4.5 years no problems. Could do with cleaning or replacing my valves as they are pretty gummy with stans now. Got the tape on Amazon.

eskay

I used the black stuff but used normal insulation tape first because the gorilla tape can be a right shit to remove from the rim (if you have to)

ogden
    Free Member

Gorilla tape absorbs all the sealant, happened on both my bikes. Although, I’ve had no issues removing it from a rim before, maybe because it’s soggy and full of sealant 😂. I use tesa tape now.

jamiemcf

I use 3m leccy tape as it’s stretchier than the diall stuff that Screwfix sell and then the gorilla tape.

RicB

TESA tape ftw

Gorilla tape works but is quite thick so a tight fitting tyre/rim combo can be difficult to fit. And to echo the points above- use leccy tape first otherwise removing the adhesive is a pain (GT85 is a good solvent for removing it)

Northwind

I’ll never let the black stuff near one of my bikes again, it works OK but removal is just the worst job.

What rims are they? I’ve used allsorts but for the fatbike I got some 70mm PVC tape- basically just wide electrical tape- and tbh it couldn’t be better.

Poopscoop

TESA tape ftw

I agree, its cheap from ebay etc too. I doubt I’ll ever needed to buy another roll of the stuff either, masses of it on there. Easy to apply if you just take a quick look at a yt vid first and easy to remove too. It’s good stuff.

dovebiker

Gorilla clear repair tape – doesn’t absorb fluid and peels off nicely

kuman
    Free Member

+1 for clear gorilla tape, it’s waterproof and doesn’t make mess when you remove it. You can get 48mm one and it fits fat rims nicely.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Clear!

Stevelol
    Free Member

When removing heat it with a hairdryer and it massively cuts down on the glue residue, speaking from experience 🙁

fooman

When removing heat it with a hairdryer and it massively cuts down on the glue residue, speaking from experience 🙁

You can get residue off too by heating with hairdryer and dabbing with sticky side of bit of another bit of tape – but Gorilla is still the wrong stuff to use unless you are trying to seat poor fitting rims / tyres, as is insulation tape which is prone to damage when fitting tyres it also goes brittle over time when stretched.

Go Tesa to reduce your tubeless issues!

hooli

Never had an issue getting gorilla tape off, as above heat it up and use a bit of rubbing alcohol if needed.

I have been told that the black tape absorbs sealant but I have used it for years and am not aware of one ever failing because of it. There is always sealant in the tyres when I check them too so it must be ok?

sharkattack

I have been told that the black tape absorbs sealant but I have used it for years and am not aware of one ever failing because of it. There is always sealant in the tyres when I check them too so it must be ok?

Same here. I used it for about 7 years no problem. Always had liquid sealant in the tyre. I’d still be using it now if I didn’t manage to acquire a trade size roll of Stans.

pampmyride
    Free Member

Gorilla tape or just cheaper duct tape works…. But, easy to damage when changing tyres or fixing that rare flat. Proper rim tape (stans etc) allows tyre bead to slide into place easily & less prone to tyre lever damage. So a quick job or re-taping every time you disturb the tyre !

zippykona

People have suggested flashing tape elsewhere. I’ve never seen the stuff does it seem like a good suggestion? Comes fatty wide by the looks  of it.

thenorthwind

Did my first couple of wheelsets with Gorilla (black) with no problems. Needed to do some more so bought some Tesa tape having heard people rave about it. Found it a bit of a pain to get it to stick to the rim bed (cleaned with IPA). Front just about worked. Rear wouldn’t hold pressure for more than a few hours. Re-taped it with two layers: bit better but still not ideal. When I changed the tyre on it, I replaced it with Gorilla tape. Quicker and easier, and went up straight away and stayed up.

It may be a personal thing, but I’ll stick with Gorilla in the future.

I used electrical tape underneath on my first couple of rims, but not sure why I’d ever have to remove the Gorilla tape, or would need to remove the residue if I did, so don’t bother now. I’m sure if necessary the right solvent would do it.

stevextc
    Free Member

t-rex
    Waterproof, sticks even to wet rims (or under water), stronger than gorilla, doesn’t leave the grid residue.

I used it for about 7 years no problem.

to be fair that’s impressive. I just had to retape a 5yr old rim though to be fair down to the kid being hamfisted with tyre levers.

sharkattack

People have suggested flashing tape elsewhere. I’ve never seen the stuff does it seem like a good suggestion? Comes fatty wide by the looks of it.

Really? surely that would double the weight of your rims!

I’ve only used it as sound proofing/insulation on vans. Can’t imagine putting that stuff on a rim. Unless you can get much thinner, lighter stuff that I’ve never seen.

Painey
    Free Member

I used the black wide tape on my DT Swiss rims. I hear the comments about it being a pig to remove but in all honesty I’ve never had to remove it. It works first time and stays that way for years, never leaks.

dannyh
    Free Member

TESA 4289 for the win.

Just make sure the rim is thoroughly clean (a vigorous rub with IPA does the trick) and do the application indoors with the rim at room temperature.

The extra effort is worth it in terms of removal and performance once it is applied.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Gorilla tape tubeless.’ is closed to new replies.