Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Gore Tex sock fail…
  • shedbrewed
    Free Member

On the first gentle road ride too.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkgrrjUPwkI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

No I didn’t stop in any puddles, mudguards were on the bike etc…

Northwind

They’re bloody awful aren’t they. Uncomfortable too- weirdly shaped, not actually foot shape.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Are you sure it didn’t run down through the big hole in the top of the sock?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Northwind, I didn’t have a problem with the comfort.
    Chrisdw, they are a bloody tight fit at the cuff, any tighter and I think I’d be having blue feet.

bruneep

Are you sure it didn’t run down through the big hole in the top of the sock?

This ^

If the sock keeps the water in it can only get in via the hole at the top

shedbrewed
    Free Member

So, pray tell how does the sock function if the hole has to be there for the foot to go in? Should I sew them on? maybe tape around with insulation tape?

RustySpanner

Just punch a couple of holes in the bottom to let the water out.

legend
    Free Member

Trousers over the top is the only thing that’s properly worked for me with Seal Skins

richpips
    Free Member

So, pray tell how does the sock function if the hole has to be there for the foot to go in? Should I sew them on? maybe tape around with insulation tape?

You need GoreTex over trousers which go over your stockings to stop the waters ingress.

😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

LIke others have said they’re never gonna work with shorts, water just runs down your leg and into the hole in the top of the socks. You need either waterproof over-trousers or tights with a waterproof panel on the shin, then you’ll be toasty warm and dry.

Northwind

FWIW my Sealskinz (long, walker’s ones, not the short cyclist ones) work very well. Not perfect, but about a million times better than no sealskinz.

(ps, gore terrible socks for sale, worn once 😉 )

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The fact they kept it in mean they work

chief9000
    Free Member

I have the same pair, they work perfectly with trousers over the top. Water will of course run down your leg into the sock as there is no seal between the skin (in your case tattooed)and the sock.

I guess that the making of this video was a little impulsive on your part. Sometimes help to think a little before taking such action. I don’t believe its the failure of the socks, its more like the failure of the user to apply adequate common sense with their use. Maybe make a video about that 😀

jonba
    Free Member

Cheap neoprene socks. Or nookie titanium neoprene socks. Cheap ones from a few pounds.

Mtbing you feet and legs get very wet. Accept it and work out how to stay warm. When there is surface water road riding I find the same.

Unless it is properly cold I find wool and thin hiking socks to be a good solution.

asterix
    Free Member

Sealskinz work very well. Not perfect, but about a million times better than no sealskinz.

wwaswas

what asterix said.

and any water that does get in tends to warm up fairly quickly.

Having said that I’ll be donning my Defrosters if it gets much colder – I find the wind chill through my summer shoes makes my feet cold even if it’s dry.

FuzzyWuzzy

I used to hate Sealskinz until it tried the knee length version with 3/4 waterproof baggies over them – they actually work then (although you do look a bit ‘special’).

Northwind

chief9000 – Member

I don’t believe its the failure of the socks, its more like the failure of the user to apply adequate common sense with their use.

Meanwhile, a competitor’s product doesn’t have the same product, so the user error excuse doesn’t really hold up.

Mattbike

I have both the goretex socks and sealskinz. My sealskinz fill up with water. Not had problems with the goretex only that they are not hugely breathable. This has only happened in heavy rain. Trousers over the tops help. There’s also something to be said for the wetsuit affect where the sock trap a layer of water inside between the skin and sock which remains warm. Not sure whether they are designed this way. But they are better than normal socks in the cold and wet.

johnellison
    Free Member

Sealskinz work very well. Not perfect, but about a million times better than no sealskinz.

^This.

No experience of Goretex’s own version but I don’t venture out off-road (or even on foot) in winter without my SealSkinz.

I’ve tried the Lite and Mid Lite versions. The Lites aren’t up to much but my calf-length Mid Lites are the dog’s dangly bits.

And if you do get water in them (which is 99 times out of 100 due to going over the top of them) the “wetsuit” effect kicks in fairly quickly.

TooTall
    Free Member

OP – what were you expecting – magic socks?
    An hour in the rain with water running down your legs and into a waterproof sock and I’d expect the result you got. Do you have any other cutting consumer advice videos to share, such as the ‘tyre with puncture let in air’ fail?

composite
    Free Member

I have used gaffer tape around the tops with varying degrees of success.

legend
    Free Member

Meanwhile, a competitor’s product doesn’t have the same product, so the user error excuse doesn’t really hold up.

Which competitor? Sealskinz are exactly the same

sparkyrhino

Were they inside out 😉

dan1980
    Free Member

In preparation for an upcoming operation, I bought one of these, and can confirm that after 15 minutes of messing about in the shower, or after half an hour soaking in the bath, my leg/foot inside the “sock” remained completely dry.

I wonder if sealskinz/gore could modify their socks with a little neoprene to fix the big leaky hole issue.

Northwind

legend – Member

Which competitor? Sealskinz are exactly the same

They’re really not, I’ve never worn mine with trousers/leggings but they’re still very effective.

legend
    Free Member

Wore my Seal Skinz home from work – feet got soaked

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Some mixed responses then…
    As for it being impulsive, not really as I had 15 miles of feet getting cold as the water built up around them to think about my opinion of the product.
    For all the ‘oh there’s a hole in the top of course they let water in’ comments; do you not think it’s a little poor on the behalf of the manufacturer to market a sock as waterproof, and then it not be in use?

legend
    Free Member

Not really, jackets are exactly the same in that water can get down the neck or up through the cuffs. Sounds like you’re wanting a cag

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Dont worry about it – if they are anything like my sealskins you’ll wear a hole in the back if them within a few rides then the water can get out.

mduncombe
    Free Member

For all the ‘oh there’s a hole in the top of course they let water in’ comments; do you not think it’s a little poor on the behalf of the manufacturer to market a sock as waterproof, and then it not be in use?

A little naive maybe…

the material will be waterproof, just like a waterproof jacket is, just like waterproof boots are. Perhaps you should look at wearing a kayaking drysuit and they are not immune to leaks through the bits your body has to go through!

the water is running down your legs, wear over trousers and you wont have a problem (not so much anyway). Nothing wrong with the product or the manufacturers description just the application.

matt_outandabout

Next time, go the whole hog.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Gore Tex sock fail…’ is closed to new replies.