Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Gore-tex for Scottish winters
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Was a Paramo fantoi until I used a Gore Pro jacket. AMAZING bit of kit which coped with subzero to super hot conditions in some really testing conditions.

jca

Well, I’ve ended up ordering a marmot spire from sports pursuits. Finances played a big part since this was half-price, but is a gore-tex pro based jacket for peanuts. Now just to see what the fit is like when it turns up….

I’d love to stick with ME since I’ve been really happy with my previous jacket, but if the Marmot is ok then I have more £££ to spend on other goodies!

I looked up Keela, but the reviews for their ‘headline’ munro jacket weren’t great. Sound like it’s used by MR teams since they get a stupidly cheap deal on them, rather than them being what they would choose to use…

duckman

MR are using Jottnar up here, quality kit.

Spin
    Free Member

Sound like it’s used by MR teams since they get a stupidly cheap deal on them, rather than them being what they would choose to use…

That’s usually the case. Also, kit that’s good for MR isn’t necessarily good for leisure use.

lotto
    Free Member

I have the Keela Munro. It is my winter jacket. For big mountain days in the winter it is superb. It is designed to work effectively with no concessions given for fashion. 8 hours of snow and sleet. Windchill of minus 15. No problem for it, stays dry. The people who comment negatively about it usually consider walking for 2 hours in the rain on a man made path to the top of a viewpoint hill like Conic hill etc to be the Great Outdoors. If you want functionality and good protection with something that lasts a few winter seasons I’d recommend. I wouldn’t use it outwith winter though, or anything other than walking.

Spin
    Free Member

The people who comment negatively about it usually consider walking for 2 hours in the rain on a man made path to the top of a viewpoint hill like Conic hill etc to be the Great Outdoors

wouldn’t use it outwith winter though, or anything other than walking.

Did have to chuckle at that. Given your second point you could have climbers, bikers, runners,ski tourers and serious mountain users in spring, summer and autumn being critical of the jacket not just Conic Hill ramblers!

And there’s nothing wrong with being a Conic Hill rambler. It’ll come to us all some day.

Spin
    Free Member

Also, 1.1kg, that’s more than my tent weighs!

BadlyWiredDog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_PSKmZc8bE

Have a look at this video review of the Keela Munro, around 8.58 onwards he does some flapping about and you can see just how much excess fabric there is under the arms and in the sleeves. The cut is iffy, huge amounts of material where there’s no need for it, which is one of the reasons it weighs around 1100g. Anyway, each to their own. As I said in my earlier post, if you’re thinking about a Munro at least try it first to make sure you’re happy with the weight and cut.

lotto
    Free Member

Yeah I would rule the jacket out for runners, bikers, ski tourers. In my opinion not great for a high tempo activity. Climbers may use it, but as pointed out there is a definite weight penalty. It is ideal for MRT duties, if you do similar to this then the Munro would be ideal, anything else it really isn’t suitable/better alternatives.

Never seen anyone wear Jottnar. Looks good equipment but the prices are steep.

Spin
    Free Member

If it works for you that’s great. It wouldn’t work for me though.

There’s a wide range of kit available these days and most of it is pretty good so it’s all about working out what’s best for your usage.

tjagain

ovewr a kilo? Jeepers I am hoping to save a bit of weight on waterproofs not add a load!

Spin
    Free Member

Never seen anyone wear Jottnar.

I actually think Jottnar might be a money laundering front. Massive PR budget but tiny sales, what else explains that? 🙂

lotto
    Free Member

I should add that my insulation clothes are bulky. Buffalo Special 6 shirt. The Munro fits over nicely, I suspect because of the generous cut. If your insulation layer is more tailored this may result in a more baggy fit.

BadlyWiredDog

ovewr a kilo? Jeepers I am hoping to save a bit of weight on waterproofs not add a load!

Make you strong, like ox 🙂

duckman

Spin, my mate has their main hardshell jacket,as he is in Tayside MR. It IS a quality piece of kit but pricing makes Arcteryx look like Go Outdoors bin end if you were paying for it. Oh; and it’s made from their own material….which for near £600 I would expect to be made from the hide of baby pandas.

onehundredthidiot

Keela Munro is my go to shit weather jacket.

Saying that i’ve been happy with some tog24 kit.

If the conditions look that way I’d rather an extra few x00g for the comfort, 8kg or 10 kg makes little difference in my experience.

jezzep

Hey there,

Been through the same issue lately also acutely aware of plastics plus very fed up with branded stuff not lasting the distance. Anyway I started looking at ventile jackets.
    Their key advantage is that they are waterproof by the weave of the fabric and not waterproofing itself. Anyway why not support a Scottish company designing for Scotland:

https://www.weatherwisewear.co.uk/ventile

So far the one I have has taken some real onslaught of coastal weather and not leaked yet.

Best regards
    JeZ

matt_outandabout

Ventile though has other down sides such as wetting out and then not drying…

jezzep

Hey there, yet to experience that so far and I’m a walker and ex scout instructor. It may not be perfect but so far a damn site better than other jackets I’ve had. I walk all year and in all conditions.

JeZ

lotto
    Free Member

I have a ventile jacket that I used for skiing for years. The only issue I ever encountered with it was when the weather was really inclement and the jacket was working hard, I went into a cafe and took it off and hung it up. When I went back to it, it was completely soaked through. Lesson learnt. In future when the jacket was covered in snow etc I took it off outside and left it with my skis. Never had an issue then. Sure it was cold and uncomfortable to put back on but was back up to temperature after the first run.

Spin
    Free Member

Anyone I know who used ventile back in the day is quick to point out how much better modern fabrics are.

tjagain

I am quite tempted by one of those massive poncho things made of non breathable but properly waterproof stuff – does not need to be breathable because of the open gap around the bottom – however in a gale I fear ending up flying in it!

footflaps

I am quite tempted by one of those massive poncho things made of non breathable but properly waterproof stuff – does not need to be breathable because of the open gap around the bottom – however in a gale I fear ending up flying in it!

yes, on the Cairngorm plateau in 120mph gusts, I can see it going horribly wrong…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d imagine they’ll be shite in even a 20-30mph wind, so most days.

scotroutes

Knee-length PU cagoule (bright orange obvs) and gaiters. Sort of worked, until it was windy.

Spin
    Free Member

yes, on the Cairngorm plateau in 120mph gusts, I can see it going horribly wrong…

If you’re out in the Gorms in 120mph winds the poncho wasn’t your first mistake but it might be your last!

tjagain

🙂

Remember that scene from the wasp factory?

footflaps

If you’re out in the Gorms in 120mph winds the poncho wasn’t your first mistake but it might be your last!

We used to go out deliberately when storms came in, just to practice being in it so that if we ever got caught out for real we’d be calm and able to navigate when tired / at night whilst being knocked to the ground with every gust. Did quite enjoy it if I’m honest….

BadlyWiredDog

Suit you sir…

https://hilleberg.com/eng/shelters/bivanorak/

tjagain

Thats the badger!

benp1

I have quite a lot of ventile. Double layer big Snowsled jacket, single layer Hilltrek smock, single layer but lined everyday Howies jacket, single layer westwinds trousers

They definitely have their place but for me they suit general time spent in the outdoors, rather than stuck up a mountain in bleak conditions. I’d rather have ventile than a cheap ‘wateproof breathable’ jacket, but I’d rather have a proper membrane or paramo jacket instead of ventile

Plus when ventile gets wet its bloody heavy and stiff. It’s much nicer stuff to wear in everyday conditions though

jezzep

I’ve been stuck in some pretty catastrophic weather in ventile. Yet to get wet I’m using a single layer type. The double layer ones supposed to be awesome. In any case the whole discussion proves it’s a personal choice thing. I did have a vote Tex jacket of old and that was much better than the later ones I’ve had. I guess if I spent as much on the goretex jacket as I did on ventile I’d probably have as good jacket.

JeZ

RustyNissanPrairie

Well, I’ve ended up ordering a marmot

Ive bought a couple of Marmot jackets with a decent discount in Blacks recent sale and so far they seem good jackets. I run pretty warm when I’m out stomping with the dog and so far they’ve breathed well, the DWR coating is good and has stopped it wetting out.

I also have a Keela Lomond for dog walks to the pub. Brilliant quality for the money but the hood sizing is the same for all the jacket sizes so is a bit small for my football head. Wrote to Keela who said they would custom make me one.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

You’ve got the approach to the ‘massive ponchos’ all wrong.

Try cinching in the waist for the best results.

Apparently these are ‘all the rage’ in Kilsyth…

https://images.app.goo.gl/gFrCLWbtYdCpuAoC8

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Does older goretex lose it’s waterproofy-ness? Wore my old gore bike jacket the other day and could feel my arms getting wet.

matt_outandabout

Yes.

The DWR coating washes off over time.
    The GorTex membrane gets clogged.
    The membrane breaks down slowly so stops working.
    I’ve just chucked a great ME jacket as the shoulder and lower arms just would not keep me dry anymore.

Spin
    Free Member

Just taken delivery of an Alpkit Balance. It’s what I’d describe as a lightweight fullweight, definitely a proper jacket, not an uberlight running thing but not a bombproof winter climbing shell (I’ve got one of those).

I got it because I’d gone through a few lightweight running jackets and either they didn’t provide quite the protection / performance I was looking for in Scottish winter conditions or they fell apart pretty quickly. This looked to be a good compromise between weight, cost and performance / longevity. Looking at it I’d be happy out in full on winter in it but it weighs in at 350g so only 100g heavier than the OMM Kamleika it’s replacing.

Off on a 4 day bikepacking tour in the Higlands so I’ll be able to let y’all know how it works pretty soon!

footflaps

I bought a super light weight Black Diamond GTX shell, “Mono Point” IIRC. Very handy as a packable emergency jacket for summer, but as thin as tissue paper. Already had to repair a small hole it, material is just too thin to take even mild abuse. I mainly carry it in my courier bag in case I get caught out cycling to/from work….

benp1

In that vein, I have a Berghaus Hypersmock 2.0 that permanently lives in my commuting rack pack. It’s very small and light so I don’t notice it in there really. I use it whenever the rain is too much for a little gilet (likely to need it on the way home tonight). Perfect for that use. But if I crashed in it I’d definitely kill it! And it wouldn’t stand up to rock or anything similar.

DrJ

Another weight-saving item that has appeared on various YouTube channels I’ve seen is the rain kilt. It’d have to be a coldwet day in Hell before I went for that particular look.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Gore-tex for Scottish winters’ is closed to new replies.