Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gore Shakedry and mud
  • ratherbeintobago

As above. How well does Gore Shakedry fabric last in the mud?

bloodyshins
    Free Member

I’ve been using a gore R7 jacket for a couple of months. Got to say it’s without a doubt the best functioning jacket I’ve ever owned. Got it 40% off at wheelbase. Despite no vents it breathes better than my old burghaus vapour storm goretex active shell that has loads of venting. The beading on it in the rain is something to behold. Seems absolutely fine in the mud and it’s not ripped yet despite regularly catching it on bushes etc. I have been babying it a bit to avoid unnecessary abrasion & unless I’m going up a proper mountain I tend not to wear a bag. I wash it at 20 deg with pure liquid soap (same as tech wash but cheaper) in a net delicates bag, no spin and just shake it a few times and hang up. I’ve not crashed in it yet mind. Not sure how well it’d hold up to a tumble, it’s so thin but I feel that the function is totally worth it. With no DWR to fail (no matter how much nickwax you use it’s never the same as new) it should keep working like it does until I inevitably tear it to bits.

rone

Same as above.

I put mine in a 30 wash with regular detergent. Only thing I do if it’s very muddy is wash it separate.

Great jackets , I’ve got the insulated one and regular. Both are a little odd fit. Very long arms and short front!

Great so far. No rips or tears.

Haven’t really fell of bike in a long while, worth the risk for the benefits by a long shot.

BadlyWiredDog

I wouldn’t have though mud would make any difference tbh. Gore doesn’t recommend it for use with a pack because it has limited abrasion resistance – essentially the membrane is on the outside – but stuff landing on it shouldn’t make any difference to anything.

There’s a slightly tougher version of ShakeDry being used for hiking kit in the States, I think it’s around 30% more abrasion resistant, but as far as I know, it’s not available on this side of the Atlantic or in bike-friendly designs.

I used one of the Arc’teryx ones for running for a few weeks. Awesome stuff. Very breathable and doesn’t wet out like conventional fabrics. Much more breathable than the similar concept Columbia OutDry Extreme stuff, though the latter’s much tougher.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

Yeh as BadlyWiredDog said, the tougher version that’s rated for use with a pack is used in the new R7 trail. I think you can get them over here now. The R7 is a running jacket but I find it’s great for MTB use. The hood won’t fit over a helmet but it’s so thin and well fitting that I put it underneath my lid if it rains. What a revelation, it’s a lovely feeling, haha. The gore ones are a super athletic cut. I’m 6ft and 12st, usually on the border between M & L. Glad I went for an XL in the R7. The large would have been very snug. One mud related issue that just sprung to mind is the zip. It’s bloody tiny and after one ride when I just hosed it off rather than washing it, the dried mud in the zipper made it very hard to zip up. I had to squirt some water out of my bottle to soften the mud back up.

ratherbeintobago

Gore doesn’t recommend it for use with a pack because it has limited abrasion resistance

Aye, that’s what worries me – everything round here in winter ends up coated in abrasive paste.

A roadie I know has a Shakedry jacket and he says it’s great – clean by dipping in a bucket of water, shake out and hang up.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have one for road biking. It’s truly amazing…I can finally stay completely dry while working hard in a downpour

I wouldnt wear mine off road however unless you are made of money, as i cant see it lastimg long if you do.

prezet
    Free Member

I bought one of the Gore C3 Active Jackets for the commute, great jacket, but wore it last weekend for a spin in the woods, literally brushed against a tree and it ripped a hole in the arm. Now having to pay £40 to get it properly patched – needless to say I wouldn’t wear Gore stuff again for anything other than a road ride – they just seem very fragile.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I have one and its great so far.
    I have had a crash in it and was very surprised to find it intact afterwards. I had assumed it would disintegrate and maybe disappear completely. I think it just depends how you land which is probably true of any jacket.

I have also been wearing it with a pack – I ride with a pack so what am I supposed to do?
    Doesnt seem to have effected it although I do use it sparingly. I am not one to start off in a jacket…I prefer to start cold and warm up..jacket only goes on if it actually rains heavy or if we stop for lunch or mechanicals. Its perfect for this as it is so light and small.

stevious

Mine’s got really muddy lots of times (I wear it on the gravel bike with no mudguards) and it hasn’t affected it. I usually just rinse it with the hose or in the sink, then shake it and leave it to drip dry.

I like the short-front fit as it means less bunching up when you’re riding. Less of an issue on an MTB, but more important on road.

BadlyWiredDog

I have also been wearing it with a pack – I ride with a pack so what am I supposed to do?

One thing that rarely gets brought up is that some packs are more abrasive than others. It depends on what fabrics the manufacturer has used on body contact areas like the straps, belt, base of the back in particular. Montane actually specced a low-abrasion fabric for this reason when they first launched their pack range.

Some brands use a really aggressive spacer mesh – you can feel how rough it is if you rub it against the inside of your wrist.

To be honest, on my local trails in the Peak, the soil is abrasive that anything is going to cause abrasion in wet conditions when gritty particles get trapped between the pack and fabric.

Yeh as BadlyWiredDog said, the tougher version that’s rated for use with a pack is used in the new R7 trail. I think you can get them over here now.

That’s interesting. Initially it was North America only. I still wouldn’t rate its chances on wet weather Peak District rides, but in more normal places, I guess it would be an option.

https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/gore-r7-gore-tex-shakedry-trail-hooded-jacket-100457.html

ratherbeintobago

Useful to know there’s a tougher version coming; next issue will be the colour but the bright blue limited edition is good.

kittyr
    Free Member

I bloody love my gorse shakedry for road rides but no chance would I wear it MTB – so fragile it would be shredded within a few mins inside the forest. Best thing since sliced bread for the raodie though – never go out without it really as it is so light and v handy to chuck on even in dry weathe rfor a mechanical.

I also wouldn’t wear it with a backpack as it will ruin it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gore Shakedry and mud’ is closed to new replies.