Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • GORE Ride On gear cables
  • FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Are they worth the extra cash?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think so. I’ve even moved them with kit when upgrading a frame. Then again, last time i bought some, they were £25 a set. I’d probably ft them again when they finally die.

geetee1972
    Free Member

They are very good, but they are pricey. You really need to set them up with care as you can balls it up and degrade the improvement to performance.

coatesy
    Free Member

I’ve used them for years, and used to swear by them, but the fully sealed set I purchased last year worked for about 2 mths before stiffenining up to the point of being unusable.I’d only fitted the rear, so replaced it with the other, thinking i’d been unlucky, this also died in short order. Wiggle were very good and gave a full refund, i’m now using Shimano(pre-greased) full length outer with no problem over the last 4 mths.

takisawa2

XT stuff but with full length outers here.
    Working perfectly since last summer.

yoshimi

I picked some up recently for £25 from Keswick cycles – try them

I have managed to split one of the little rubber corsatiner type thing tho

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I got mine from 18 Bikes for £30, fully sealed extra long version. I had to drill out my cable stops to fit a full length outer which is something you need to consider.
    Other than that I found them as easy to fit as any cable and after 2 or 3 months they are performing as good as new. “Normal” cables usually clog up after a couple of rides in the Peaks where I ride, but I do seem to suffer more than most with that problem. My gear fettling is now greatly reduced.

I have Nokon cables on my other bikes which are a bit smoother than the Gore, but then they do need lubing. The Goretex inner sheath in the Gore cables has little enough friction so as to not need lubing.

richc
    Free Member

these are supposed to be worth a look as well, http://www.alligatorcables.com/CABLE/iLINK.htm lighter than Nokon & XT’s

Algore
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need to have to drill anything. Even on the extra longs. It’s only the inner liner that needs to runs from shifter to mech, not the outer.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Granted it is overkill for a road bike but for MTBs I disagree with Algore. My old cable run ALWAYS got muck/grit in the outer cable at the cable stops on the swing arm. This was what led to poor shifting. Whilst I realise the Gore cables have a full length inner to keep the shifting smooth, I doubt that inner will last long once some grit has got between it and the outer at the cable stops. As I understand Gore make an extra long kit due to rider demand for full length outers. Riding in the gritty Peaks I don’t understand why someone would pay for expensive sealed cables and not run a full outer.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

If you’re looking for a solution on the cheap check these out

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Transfil_Gear_Cable_Waterproof_Kit/5360011242/

Got ’em on the commuter, doing a decent job of keeping the rubbish out.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

looks like a cheap option, but I think I will just clarify that my recommendation of the Gore cables is for off-road riding. I use run-of-the-mill standard cables on my road bike and I have had no issues at all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘GORE Ride On gear cables’ is closed to new replies.