Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Gore Ride On Cables
  • el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Any of the Stw crew use them? Your thoughts please…Easy to fit? Worth the cash? Are they hassle free? ARe there any better alternatives?

thanks

PTR
    Free Member

Great cables, not too hard to fit, if you follow the instrucions closely. I’ve used them for years, you can ride through any mud and water and know the gears will work. I’ve never worn any out, sometimes you need new ones if you fit a new mech, or if a stone cuts tehm againt the down tube. Don’t bother using them on front mech though, it’s not worth it, they nver go wrong through stick cables.
    Avoid Avid Flakjackets, these are only semi sealed (read ‘not sealed at all’), let water in, but it can’t get out, the cable then corrodes.

audiophile
    Free Member

Never used them as it seems a really expensive way of keeping cables clean. As I have slotted cable guides, keeping them clean is never a problem anyway. If you’re a lazy mechanic, consider Middleburn cable oilers.

PTR
    Free Member

I’ve built my bike as a lazy mechanic, ride it, hose it down, oil it and put away until next time. I agree that Middleburn cable oilers are worth using, I have them on my v-brake equiped bike, it used to go through noodles at an alarming rate, they last ages now.

nicko74

Another vote in the yes camp here – when I built up my Soda a couple of years ago I decided RideOns were the way to go. Since then, I’ve not had any issues whatsoever – as a solution it’s one of the best out there, particularly if you’re a fit and forget type rider.

Admittedly, I don’t ride through peak district mud, but even in South Wales’ worst weather and grime I’ve had no issues. Definitely worth a look IMO

solar
    Free Member

Do middleburn cable oilers work with XTR cables?

coatesy
    Free Member

Be aware that there are different Gore cable sets too, we ordered a “Professional” kit for a customer(the only one available from the importer at the time),turned out to be a similar system to Flak-Jackets, but with only enough ferrules to kit out a road bike(as long as it doesn’t have mid-cable adjusters).
    Used to be a big fan of Gore cables too, but the last set I had went back to Wiggle for a refund, used them singly on the rear and both had virtually seized within the space of about 3 months,now gone to full length Shimano SP41 outers(the pre-greased stuff)which has been trouble free for about 8 months and counting.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Had gore for 2 years with no probs and loads of mud and abuse….

Just put Alligator Sleek braided cables on.

Look fantastic and so far very nice and smooth!

£16.95 from readytoridecycles

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Gore Ride On Cables’ is closed to new replies.