Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Gore jackets – really as good as they say?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Just been in my LBS looking at jackets and chatting to the sales assistant about what he’d recommend – he immediately said the Gore Element was the jacket he’d go for.

Felt great on compared to some others but knowing the sort of riding (and falling off) I do I’m not sure I want to spend over £100 on a jacket I might rip or otherwise.

He did say they are amazing at keeping you dry both from sweat and rain. I can’t quite believe they are going to be much better than what I had before (This)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Simple answer, yes. I have a very similar Gore jacket that’s on it’s third year. I only ever wear it when it’s 10deg or below and only ever with a short sleeve base layer underneath. If it’s really cold then I pop a gillet on over the top. Fantastic bit of kit.

grubbish
    Free Member

I’ve just recently retired my old gore, gore tex jacket after more than 10 years of service. got a brand new one straight away in my opinion best jackets you can get and their wimdstopper jackets are amazing too with similar longevity. I ride a lot too and ive crashed a few times with no damage. You can also get them repaired.

justatheory
    Free Member

I don’t know how good they say they are but my lightweight Gore Path has been doing a good job of keeping me dry for the past 5 years. Packs down nice and small and has retained its waterproofness with the occasional Nikwax treatment. Only complaint is the zip is a bit dodgy so I use it as a smock nowadays.

They aren’t cheap but I find paying extra for Gore-tex or Event fabric is worth it for avoiding boil in the bag syndrome.

bowglie

If it’s made from Gore ‘active shell’ fabric it’ll be a big step up in breathability over your old jacket. I used to have an Endura mt500 jacket, now have Gore Alp X active shell waterproof and based on how good it is, bought a Gore active shell windproof – IME, the Gore stuff is always worth the extra.

Del

IMO, no. I have a phantom windstopper that had the zip break without masses of use, it’s too hot to use when the temperature is over 5C, and doesn’t breath sufficiently.
    I have a hagloffs soft shell that is better for all the riding I do between november and may.

br
    Free Member

You do get what you pay for.

I’ve two Phantom’s, one nearly 10 y/o and a new one just bought.

In winter though I mainly use one of my Endura jackets, either a Stealth or a Windchill.

brooess
    Free Member

I have a Gore Gilet I bought 10 years ago which has had plenty of use. I reckon I could get away with putting labels on it and putting back on the rail in a shop and you wouldn’t notice until you looked closely that it wasn’t brand new.
    Also, as cycling-specific kit it’s usually very fit for purpose

njee20
    Free Member

IMO their waterproofs aren’t amazing, I’ve had a couple, I just sweat in them and get very hot. Their softshells are great though

iainc

Just in from a very wet and windy couple of hrs on road, wearing a new Sportful NoRain jacket. My base layer was dry, well impressed.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I have 3.

1) Alp-X 2.0 GT AS Gore-Tex for the wet rides.

2) Cosmo softshell for general cold mtb outings.

3) Phantom 2 for commuting.

Love them all.

IMO, they are indeed as good as they say.

ac282

I have an old (~ 6 years) alp x. It’s still water proof and fits in a Jersey pocket.

The best thing for me is the cut. Even without any stretch panels it managed to avoid being restrictive without being flappy. I imagine the newer versions would be even better.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

After just returnig back from a 72 mile road ride in the rain all day, I would say no they are not woth it.I paid £130 for my Goretex jacket and I still got drenched to the skin! 😥

mcnik
    Free Member

You’ll never find an article of clothing (short of a dry suit) that will stop you getting wet on a bike in heavy and or constant rain. For a start, there are four massive holes in any jacket, and the wet just soaks through. The thing to aim for is keeping warm. IMHO the Gore active shell windstopper stuff is ideal for this. Get the one with the zip off arms and you can use it year round.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Cheers for the input. Sounds like I should give it a go.

Worried it might be a bit warm for summer though.

kennyp
    Free Member

Gore. Not cheap but superb quality. Lasts for ages too so longer term I’d say good value for money.

mooman
    Free Member

Gore are great.

mrchrispy

1st bought a gore jacket nearly 15 years ago on a whim while I was waiting for some one to faff about with some brakes. Had it on that day and it probably saved my life (well made me less grumpy than usual) the weather was biblical. My dad now has that as I replaced it after 10 years use, alison run a number of soft shells.
    Gore kit is just awesome.
    Between howies and gore I am sorted

ahsat

It’s pretty damp in the Lakes this weekend and I know my old Altura has got to a point it just absorbs water so on a spontaneous whim I bought one of their new active shell womens waterproofs yesterday in Bike Treks just before heading out on a ride (birthday present to myself) and I have to say I am very impressed if nothing else than for the shear joy of the fit.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Went for a Gore Fusion

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Gore jackets – really as good as they say?’ is closed to new replies.