Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • GORE GEAR CABLE QUESTION
  • PTR
    Free Member

Help please? I’ve ordered and received a set of Gore gear cables from CRC, the box is marked for road bike use.
    I want mine for the mountain bike, does anyone know if there is really any difference? My knowledge of things roady is nil, so all help is appreciated

craigxxl
    Free Member

Different size cable nipples

PTR
    Free Member

That will be the bit that fits in the shifter then? So no good?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Got in one

PTR
    Free Member

Thanks, time to try the new CRC returnb system then.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Don’t talk guff, the cable nipples are exactly the same!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yes, Durace and XTR cables are identical. It will fit no problem.

toppers3933
    Free Member

it’ll fit fine. don’t worry about it.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, it’ll be fine. Road brake cables are different, but gears are identical.

PTR
    Free Member

Thanks, off to bed now, but I’ll break out the micrometer tomorrow and check it out.

craigxxl
    Free Member

My mistake I was thinking brake cables. The difference between road and sealed (MTB) is that you get the extra Grub seals and continuous liners to protect against the mud.

JoeG
    Free Member

It depends…

The “Sealed” set is usually what is used on MTBs. It includes a thin plastic liner that runs the entire length from your shifter to the cable stop on your rear der. This liner is exposed in areas like along the top tube where usually a bare cable (with those little rubber donuts) runs between cable stops. Note cable housing, cable, and translucent liner.

The “Low Friction” set is what is normally used on road bikes. It does not have the unbroken one piece liner from what I understand. I wouldn’t use it on an MTB in the UK. Below – cable housing outer ring, cables inner ring. No liner.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘GORE GEAR CABLE QUESTION’ is closed to new replies.