Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Gore active shell or Endura stealth?
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

http://www.gorebikewear.co.uk/remote/Satellite/PROD_JWFUPO?landingid=1212722558082O

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003FD8LBY/ref=asc_df_B003FD8LBY4436167?smid=A2FWZ7KDHM02N9&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B003FD8LBY

I like the look of the gore for its breathability and the water-resistantcy of the Endura. I tend to run quite hot. Has anyone any experience of these jackets or maybe recommend any alternatives.

My rides tend to be 5 hours max and often around 3 hours. Would the Gore offer enough protection from prolonged downpours.

squiff
    Free Member
    chrisdb
    Free Member

I’ve been fortunate enough to try Active Shell and although I am usually incredibly sceptical about Gore and other membrane based fabrics active shell was actually pretty good.

If you can, get to one of the test road shows or ask you bike shop if they can get a test jacket from Gore – they have loads. Worth a try.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    seanoc
    Free Member

Berghaus and mtn equip both do some pretty nice Active Shell jackets; not bike specific but very, very nice all the same……both are ~300g.

Whilst their returns policy is very good it is inevitable that Endura clothing will fall to pieces before it’s expected lifetime. I wouldn’t make any big purchases with Endura purely because of the return faffage.

slimraybob
    Free Member

I picked up an Endura Stealth a couple maybe three of years ago and have been very happy with it.
    I read all the reviews saying the wearer would over heat but I have found that if it was cold enough for a jacket in the first place then it fine to wear the Stealth and a base layer.
    The jacket has been worn in all weathers (mainly cold and or wet) and has never been damp or sweaty.
    As for build quality apart from a couple of scuffs due to me being a crap rider the jacket still looks pretty new.

hammy7272
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-oxygen-iv-gore-tex-jacket/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

This one seems ideal for my needs? Any comments would be again really appreciated.

BadlyWiredDog

There are two Gore Active Shells>

1. The Gore Windstopper AS linked to in the original post which is a windproof fabric, but highly water resistant. The fabric’s effectively waterproof as new, but the seams aren’t taped so in heavy rain it’ll leak along the stitch lines. More breathable than most waterproof fabrics.

2. Gore-Tex Active Shell which is the new waterproof Gore-Tex fabric. Breathes very well and is waterproof with taped seams etc. This is what most of the posts above are referring to.

Gawd only knows why Gore chose to give them the same name, it’s a bit confusing 😕

BadlyWiredDog

I’d steer clear of anything made from Gore-Tex Paclite because, not to put too fine a point on it, it sucks like a Dyson on speed…

I think you probably need to decide whether you need a full-on waterproof or a soft shell. Whether you run really hot, so your priority is breathability rather than outright weather protection. Or if you run cool so you can get away with a less breathable option. Whether you need venting options or not. Whether the cut of the jacket suits your body shape – some of the Gore racier stuff is cut whippet fashion etc.

iainc

hammy – I started the gore/Endura thread, having pieces of both. The 2 jackets you have linked are very different things. The Stealth is a great cold weather do it all top which is good over a base layer from around plus 5 deg down to minus 10. The Gore is a light shell, which can be worn across a huge variety of temps, depending on what you have under it. It has no inherent warmth, as it’s just a shell (albeit a very good one). I have both those jackets. The Gore tends to spend most of it’s time as a summer shell, often packed dwon in my pack or pocket. The Stealth is staple wear from October though to March.

BTW – have a google around before buying as I think you could get either of them cheaper.

hammy7272
    Free Member

iainc, cheers for the advice. I like the idea of no warmth as I have used a base layer and just a t shirt in -5 before, I run very hot. I am looking for waterproof and windproof that wont make me over heat. I have read the reviews of the Endura and it worries me it will be redundant for me unless it is very cold and raining. The flexibility of the temp ranges of the gore seems like it might be better for me.

Does this seem sensible?

Thanks again.

Are there any other jackets I should be looking at?

iainc

hammy sounds sensible. If going for Shell, you could also have a look at the Altura Croslight – some places putitng them out close to half price right now. Similar in weight to the Gore (a litte less good on paper) and gets very good reviews – they can be had for around £60

hammy7272
    Free Member

Thanks Iain, how waterproof is the Gore shell?

iainc

hammy – sorry for late reply – been out for a spin. The Gore is very waterproof and not too sweaty. Performance wise it is very similar to the crosslite, but it packs smaller and feels ‘nicer’. I would happily buy it again 🙂 but would struggle to justify the additional spend over the Altura shell. I haven’t ever had a tumble in the Gore but Paclite does get a reputation of being a bit fragile

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Gore for sure:))

rOcKeTdOg

merino + stealth was fab in last years snow and -17 temps, but too warm for anything of a + temp, very waterproof though

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Stealth is an ace bit of kit.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Cheers guys, hmmm. I think the Gore is the one for me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Gore active shell or Endura stealth?’ is closed to new replies.