Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gopro Users: Hero4 Silver or Hero5 Session?
  • zerolight
    Free Member

As per the title, what’s your thoughts? Thinking about one for the summer for road bike in France and MTB at home. Just for a bit of fun. Not blogging.

The 5 session benefits from a helmet friendly size and bar friendly vibration damping. The 4 has a removable battery, LCD, and is £50 cheaper. The 5 black is a bit more than I want to spend.

Struggling between. Anyone with experience of both?

riddoch

Battery life might be a deciding factor, the 4 has a removable battery so you can carry spares. The session is limited to whatever time it lasts on a charge.

bennyball
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the 4 black?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

When the Session’s battery gets tired with time you have to dump it as not even the factory can take them apart.

benpinnick

The image stabilisation on the 5 would do it for me.

zerolight
    Free Member

Yeah. I’m starting to lean away from the session despite its ideal size on battery worry. I have my eye on a used 4 Black on Gumtree or maybe a used 5 Black now.

Shandy
    Free Member

I have both. The Session is smaller and lighter and will last a full uplift day on one charge. I rarely use the screen on the Hero now that I am used to mounting it. You need 1 or 2 spare batteries to get it to last as long as the Session. The Session is also a lot more resistant to cold draining the batteries. The chesty is quite hard to set up so that it won’t bounce on rough tracks so usually helmet mount is best and the Session is lighter.

The Hero is good for hand-held stuff and I use it as much with the family as I do biking. I am going to start using the time lapse and other features to get the most out of it. If it was just for biking I would be happy with the Session.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

pretty sure we did this recently but essentially what Shandy says

alishand

If being used solely for action, biking type stuff where the smaller the better then the session is the way to go.

If you want it for anything more than that you will get way better use from a Hero 4 silver / black. It’s just so much more versatile.

In my case I use my Hero more for family holidays, time lapses, and just generally as part of my camera kit than I do for biking. Also the changeable batteries, wider settings range and (on the silver) the integrated screen means its better for more considered situations like with timelapses and framing particular shots.

JackHammer

I recently bought the session (cheapest one), I ummed and ahhed about whether to go for the “normal/classic” go pro instead. So far I’m fairly pleased with it.

It pairs via wifi with your smart phone or GoPro remote. The camera itself acts as router and you sign into the “network” transmitted by the camera. It has a preview mode that makes it easy to set the camera up on chest/helmet/static shots and you can tune the capture settings from inside the app also. Im sure the newer Heros also have this feature.

The image stabilisation on the session and hero 5 looks really good though.

Bought all my mounts of amazon for £10 from some brand called zooki 10/10 would recommend.

zerolight
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

akira

Also voice activation on the session 5 is very handy, less faffing about and easier to turn on and off for interesting bits.

zerolight
    Free Member

I bought a Hero5 Black. Eek.

yiman
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Hero 5 session because:
    1) Voice control. No more taking gloves off, putting stuff down to take a photo. Just “Go Pro, take a photo” or “Gopro, start/stop recording”
    2) It’s small and easily mountable…..I don’t envy the tinky-winky look.
    3) I don’t mind too much about battery life because I’ll do what I do with my phone – carry a small power bank and give it a charge at lunchtime.
    4) I couldn’t see myself needing the bells and whistles of the Hero 5. I just want it to shoot when I tell it to.
    5) Image stabilisation as I’ll be using it for biking and skiing.

zerolight
    Free Member

Yeah. I came close to the session 5. In the end, like others here, I decided that the lcd equipped model would work well with the family on holiday too. If slightly comprised as a helmet mount.

zerolight
    Free Member

I think I might need to get a chesty mount. My 7idp helmet is all angles so nowhere for a sticky mount. I got a mount on my road helmet, though there are gaps underneath so not sure I’d really want to leave that on. The Hero5 Black is very nice though. I dunked it into the sink just because you can – felt all kinds of wrong.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I dropped my Session 4 (deliberately) into a beer last July in Morzine as part of a planned video.

Never got around to editing the video and obvs didn’t rinse it off properly afterwards cos now the slide button for opening the card ‘hatch’ is a bit sticky…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Gopro Users: Hero4 Silver or Hero5 Session?’ is closed to new replies.