• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by alric.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • gopro ebay scammers-loads of them
  • alric
    Free Member

Looking at gopros on ebay, theres a lot of dirt cheap refurbihed hero 5 etc.s.
    From £12.99, years guarantee, 10 available etc
    I bought one a month ago at £35, turned out to be someones account got hacked. I cancelled and got my paypal back immediately, the guy msgd me on ebay to say hed been hacked
    But theres loads of them now. Does ebay do nothing about this?
    They must know about it. Does it happen a lot, with other items?

kelron
    Free Member

They remove them quickly, more pop up just as quickly. It’s very common with electronics especially, watch out for unrealistically low prices, stock photos & descriptions, sellers that don’t have recent feedback. They’re not too hard to spot once you’re aware of them.

nastybobby
    Free Member

It’s happened to me twice. Once with a pair of Kicker boots and another with a mini PC, both new and about 50% below what I expected to pay. I now compare what I’m buying with other prices for the same item and look at the seller’s reviews and how recent they are. If it sounds too good to be true, then invariably something fishy is going on. Their account has been hacked or the items aren’t legit.

My latest gripe with Ebay are sellers stating that they’re UK based, when they’re actually in China. It takes far longer for the goods to arrive [it’s obvious from the packaging that it came from China] and I don’t know where I’d stand if customs intercepted it or if it needed returning? The whole site is awash with counterfeit items as well, it’s becoming a pain to buy stuff from there a lot of the time. Especially when thinking that paying more means the goods are the real deal, which isn’t always the case.

maccruiskeen

Does ebay do nothing about this?

they don’t know unless you tell them – theres nobody at Ebay proof-reading every listing.

If you see a listing you know is a scam report it – then they know.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

they don’t know unless you tell them – theres nobody at Ebay proof-reading every listing.

If you see a listing you know is a scam report it – then they know.

They still do nothing.

Someone one here found my bike for sale and mailed me. Thankfully they were just scammers stealing the pictures rather than my actual bike, but still it’s quite a distinctive build.

eBay did sod all, hopefully no one was scammed.

But really. GoPro for £<35? And you expected it to turn up? That’s the cost of a genuine battery!

alric
    Free Member

i was testing the water really-only half gullible
    I listed some asian herb on ebay- it is still for sale on there, 1018 results, but I got a msg from ebay to say it wasnt allowed.

winston
    Free Member

No you weren’t testing the water. You were trying to get something for nothing. You are the reason these scams exist. Which means you are partly responsible for why people have their accounts hacked. There are very few victimless crimes.

See a go pro or iPhone for a few quid on eBay and it’s so funking obviously either a scammed account, fake or stolen – in all those circumstances there are victims and non of them are you. So don’t buy them. Simples.

alric
    Free Member

with a warranty/refurbished, its worth investigating.
    Not everyone can afford the latest gopro. We cant all get well paid honest jobs
    Therse a trickle down effect on hi tech stuff, with all the competition
    People still want things,-when it comes to victim less crimes-this is way down on the list, of politicians getting millions for dodgy arms deals, or badger culling, homelessness,
    and when these scammers get confident enough and integrate realistically loads of people will get hit, so why let sleeping dogs lie?

maccruiskeen

Not everyone can afford the latest gopro

and even fewer people have any real need for one. The world isn’t hungry for yet more tedious shakey wide-angle first person footage, not mater what resolution its in. 🙂

We cant all get well paid honest jobs

what dishonest job have you got then? Are you one involving using badgers to cull the homeless? :-O

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Treat ebay as I do. A last resort only for cheap shit I’m not overly arsed about, secondhand things that might be broken, or things that are difficult to get hold of from UK retailers!

cookeaa

Ebay is for speculative risking of money you can afford to lose for potential bargains… Call such item “Gift horses” if you will, just don’t look in their metaphorical mouths.

But TBH OP, if I was willing to chance £35 on some sort of action cam I’d just go on Amazon and buy one of the “Gopro-alikes” on there. There’s loads, plenty under that price, with adequate specs, all with a warranty and some come back via amazon if it turns out to be a duffer…

mattyfez

Ebay is dodgy as F for anything electronic. This isn’t a new phenomena.

DezB
    Free Member

Treat ebay as I do. A last resort only for cheap shit I’m not overly arsed about

You’re missing out then! What about all the little hardware bits and pieces, bike bits, cleaning products, lubes, books, dvds, art supplies… whatever you’re into, there’s 100s of things so much easier to buy on ebay, with free postage usually.

As for the China/Middle East sellers, easy to spot – just click the seller’s name and it shows you where they’re based. Like one extra click!

Jakester
    Free Member

As for the China/Middle East sellers, easy to spot – just click the seller’s name and it shows you where they’re based. Like one extra click!

Not always. A lot of the time the listing and seller ID says UK, but the product is coming from China. I’ve had this on a couple of occasions.

The giveaway is the postage time – if it’s more than a week or so, odds are it’s coming from China.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, what I’m saying is, there is always a way to tell.

alric
    Free Member

‘what dishonest job have you got then? Are you one involving using badgers to cull the homeless?’

whats the matter with you?
    Im not a politician or a gun for hire, and dont see the point in making things worse.
    Im not forcing badgers out of their homes,just trying to avoid becoming homeless myself, theres no paying jobs, and no affordabe housing

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘gopro ebay scammers-loads of them’ is closed to new replies.