• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by spev.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Google search help
  • spev

Aaarrrrrggghhhhh , right google search is driving me nuts. On any other device I own if I type in the search bar lets say “race bmx” I get a page with a line of pictures at the top with links to shops etc that I can scroll through left to right and then the usual style links in a list underneath some shops some info sites etc, all fine and dandy.

My work PC on the other hand flashes that page up and immediately replaces it with a page full of advert links from the likes of Amazon, Stuccu, Alibaba, halfords etc. All the devices are linked to my Google account but only this PC displays like this and its driving me mad.

Its a shared device so I’d imagine my business partner may have blindly accepted something ( im no IT expert but he’s like a caveman in comparison bless him). Ive run antivirus, turned off “private results” to no avail.

Any ideas anyone? shall I just uninstall chrome and see if that helps?

EDIT

just tried the same search in Edge and its as it should be so Chrome is the problem  (not sure why all my other chrome running devices are normal though) i’ll sign out uninstall it and see what happens

whitestone
    Free Member

Sounds like a browser hijack. I had similar many years ago, took a bit of getting rid of. There’s a tool to fix it, can’t remember if it’s malwarebytes or “browser hijack” (or something similar).

Greybeard
    Free Member

The tool used to be ‘HijackThis’ but it’s been discontinued. The last version is still available but it’s not going to detect new stuff. Malwarebytes (free version) is the thing to try. Download it on Edge to make sure you get the real one!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spev

ta both, just uninstalled and re-installed chrome and it seems to have fixed it this time (tried it once before with no luck) will keep my fingers crossed that its sorted

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Google search help’ is closed to new replies.