Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Google pixel phone 💪
  • Premier Icon redmex
    Free Member

I took my phone out my back pocket to save damage as I was taking the spare wheel off the pickup rolling about on the tar
    Anyway cut a long story short I put it on a chassis rail then drove a mile before I realised , back tracked , eventually found it driven over and amazingly still works perfect although the screen looks like it had been hit by a firing squad
    New glass cover hopefully all is required to have it looking like new. The case was just a £25 silicon back cover

Premier Icon tomd

Which Pixel? I have the 4a which is a decent phone but due to budget has a plastic frame rather than metal. I broke the screen and took to be repaired and the technician was telling me they often unrepairable as the frames are easily bent and damaged along with the glass. He checked it over quite a bit before agreeing to repair.

Also new glass “official” repair is well over £100

Premier Icon giant_scum
    Free Member

Can’t say the same for my work’s Samsung A40.
    It took a dive into the toilet last night.
    Put it into a bag of rice almost immediately and left on top of the radiator.
    The alarm on it worked this morning but I fear in doing so it may have killed itself!

Premier Icon desperatebicycle
    Free Member

3A here, still going strong. Seems pointless to change it, no updates have ever caused it to slow down, battery life is the same as when it was new. Great phones (well, as far as excitement about phones goes)

Premier Icon kayak23

3a here.
    Brilliant thing.
    Dreading when some day I have to replace it and some throbber has decided I can only have one the size of a sheet of A4.

Premier Icon IHN

3a here too, still going great, although the screen is a bit loose after I dropped it. I’m tempted to drop a bit of superglue under the loose corner.

Premier Icon kimbers

My 3a died last week, I think was battery issue, kept restarting

after nearly 2 years (22 months so only 2 months left on warranty)

took it into Vodafone who sent off for repair and tbf they replaced it with a new one!

Premier Icon johnnystorm

@kayak23

You’re in luck, the new Samsung S22 is basically the same physical dimensions but with a bigger screen. 😀

Premier Icon Kryton57

the new Samsung S22

I’ve been eyeing that up, they have £200 trade in on any condition phone. But. The rest of the family is on the Apple eco system…

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

That’s impressive.

Not as impressive as my old work Nokia… I was chatting to boss watching the apprentices canoe a rapid – and dropped the phone. I eddied out, waded in, picked up phone and called the boss back. The same phone was in a drybag that was dropped off a minibus roof – and went under the trailer wheels. The same phone was also used for 5 years on hills, rivers and more daily. I still have it – it still turns on.

Premier Icon desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Samsung!? SPAMsung more like! 😂 The crap and bloatware the phones come with installed.. wouldn’t touch one again.

Premier Icon BoardinBob

3A here too. Great phone. Takes loads of abuse. Still really fast. No point in “upgrading”

Premier Icon kayak23

Samsung!? SPAMsung more like! 😂 The crap and bloatware the phones come with installed.. wouldn’t touch one again.

Yeah, that’s been my experience too. 😕

Premier Icon spooky_b329

3A here too, I like the fact there is no bloatware.

However, it’s always been a bit buggy with Android Auto which is a know issue, for a long time it wouldn’t do OK Google Voice commands or allow a message to be dictated.

Now it won’t connect at all and I think it was responsible for popping a power bank, I managed to open it up without breaking the screen (it’s not in a frame) and replace the USB-C port, didn’t fix the Android Auto issue and I daren’t charge it from a laptop or power bank incase it breaks something else.

Living with it for now but it’s days are numbered I think!

Premier Icon johnnystorm

How recently have you had a Samsung? They’re much more streamlined than in the past and they’re working closer with Google, the recent watch UI is evidence of that.

Premier Icon Caher

4a convert here from MotoG – fantastic phone. Don’t want to spend too much on something for calling and surfing.

Premier Icon vxaero
    Free Member

Premier Icon StirlingCrispin

My 4a has a smashed screen – again, after a short drop onto the bedroom floor.

Battery life was unreliable and random. If the phone got warm it would just hose the battery.

Will just replace it with something cheap if I can find a phone that isn’t a tablet.

Premier Icon Simon

Don’t know if it’s usb-c ports in general or just Pixels but I had a Pixel 4 where the charger port gave up completely after about a year and the port on my current 5 seems to be going the same way.

Premier Icon spooky_b329

@simon They collect compacted fluff, need to pick it out with a plastic pick

Premier Icon miketually
    Free Member

I bought a second hand 2XL when it was about a year old and ran it until a year after the last OS update. A couple of apps ran a bit slow on it and the battery life wasn’t what it was when new, but it otherwise survived a good few years of living in my pocket all day with no case on it.

Replaced it with a Pixel 6.

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

@simon They collect compacted fluff, need to pick it out with a plastic pick

I’ve got some of these, touch wood it’s a big improvement but my phones only a year old, the acid test will be whether it blocks up near the end of year 2 into year 3.

Cheaper ones are available but these are a good fit.

Premier Icon Simon

spooky_b329

@simon
    They collect compacted fluff, need to pick it out with a plastic pick

Tried that, improved things slightly but eventually the charger port on my 4 completely stopped working, got the phone replaced under warranty.

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

Yeh I think you can damage the contacts with repeated probing /scrubbing which can exacerbate the issue long term.
    My old LG had this issue.

The dust plugs I mentioned above seem to be doing the job on my currant pixel 4a. Time will tell but the socket looks pretty clean so far.

I think it’s an inherent design issue with USBc… It’s quite a big orifice which is a really good pocket lint collector.

And as said above, it gets compacted over time into a hard material that prevents the charging plug from being fully inserted.

Premier Icon molgrips

Oh, good shout on the port plugs. I use a wireless charger and hardly ever plug anything in there. I’ll have to order some.

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

@molgrips.. It’s probably not an issue for wireless charging.. My unscientific study has revealed that it’s not just the big hole of a charging port, it’s the repeated insterion of a charging plug that helps to compact any lint there is over time, which after some time results in the plug not being able to be fully inserted.

Hence people cleaning them out with toothpicks or sim removal tools ect. Causing wear on the very thin and fragile electrical contact points.

But a dust cover will certainly help, regardless

Premier Icon molgrips

Right but I do plug stuff in there sometimes, which would compact the fluff that will inevitably get in there from my pocket. I have experienced this before and rectified it, I just didn’t know you could get blanks.

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

Then I’d say get some, for sure!
    I don’t bother with blanks on my laptop, but that’s a different environment, as in it’s not being put in and out of my pockets all day.

Premier Icon coynie09
    Free Member

Still got pixel 2 brilliant thing never had any problems…

Premier Icon andy5390

Any Pixel 6 owners care to share their usage/battery life experiences.

My Pixel 4 has suddenly decided to devour the battery at an alarming rate. I am aware that they never had the best reputation, but I could easily get all day out of mine until last week. (Security update??)

Now, it’ll eat it’s way through 15% in less than 2 hours just sitting in my pocket, and hit 50% by lunch time if I’m using it as I usually do

Considering the 6 or 6a when it comes out, rumoured to have a bigger battery than the 6

Premier Icon Northwind

I broke my 3a’s screen but then I pretty much launched it at a cobbled street, so it was fair enough. And I’ve dropped it and the 4 that replaced it about a million times.

Meanwhile my brother’s just got another xperia replaced on warranty because the usb socket gets upset if you don’t tuck it in

Premier Icon DickBarton

I’m using a 6…seems to be ok, I get about a day and almost a half between charges usually. If I’ve had a boring day though I’ll use it all in a day with surfing the web/YouTube.

It seems to be ok, but since last update I’ve lost my ringtone and can’t work out how to replace it. Will check my messages one as well but also need to work out how to change that.

Camera seems to be ok but the zoom is crap, but most of the pics I take it works well. I suspect there are some.settings I’m needing to adjust but don’t know what.

I’m glad I’ve got it but it isn’t a massive leap over the Sony Xperia 5 that it replaced, but battery life isn’t quite as good as the Sony had – I could get 2 fulls days (48 hours) from a charge, the Pixel 6 is a full day and almost a half day (about 32 hours).

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.