Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Google maps on HTC One. Gah!
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Was prompted to ask by the what satnav post.

My Google maps works fine from the house connected to our wi-fi. If I try and set a new destination away from the house, it’s just no go, every time. Even with full phone / satellite signal. I also can’t connect to internet unless it’s over wi-fi.

I’ve obviously not done something I should have – any advice on settings please?

mikey74
    Free Member

Do you have your data on?

I have an HTC One and I have just downloaded a new SatNav app which is called Navfree: It is different to the Google maps on in that you download the maps to the phone rather than relying on network signal as with Google Maps.

It seems to work really well so far.

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup thanks, data switched on. I also have Co-Pilot (dedicated sat-nav) app and it works fine most of the time but I prefer Google Maps navigation (when it works).

mikey74
    Free Member

The reason I have changed from Google Maps is that when setting off from home it would often loose signal and not pick it up until I reach the M25, which is about 12 miles aways.

Because it relies on a data connection to get it’s map data, areas of poor 3G (not the same thing as phone signal) mean that it has difficulty getting the data it requires. Therefore, I have switched to an app that has the maps downloaded to the phone, rather than getting then from the network.

Cougar

I also can’t connect to internet

… is the problem. Stuff all to do with Google Maps.

CoPilot works because its mapping data is self-contained and already installed on your phone; Google Maps draws data from t’Internet (unless you cache it at home before you set off), so if your Internet access is broken, Google Maps will be too.

Get on to your service provider to check that they’ve enabled everything they should and that your phone’s APN settings are correct.

user-removed
    Free Member

Cheers mikey, Cougar. I shall get on the phone. I can barely use my phone to make calls in / near my house, so I know the 3G coverage locally is poo, but it does tend to pick up further afield.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Google maps on HTC One. Gah!’ is closed to new replies.