Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Google – it's getting spooky…
  • thebunk

I got sent a tracking number, but not the name of the courier company used. For some reason I tried putting the number into Google and got one link, to my parcel details on the Royal Mail site.

In the words of someones Gran – Isn’t it marvellous, what they can do nowadays?

(Number is AH871155957GB if anyone wants to see a little piece of geeky magic)

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    phil.w
    Free Member

I guess now when you Google that number you’ll get two hits. The Royal Mail site and this thread.

nbt

guess now when you Google that number you’ll get two hits. The Royal Mail site and this thread.

😀

Google *is* very good, isn;t it?

Danny79
    Free Member

To quote Google’s former CEO Eric Schmidt:

“We don’t need you to type at all. We know where you are. We know where you’ve been. We can more or less know what you’re thinking about,”

donsimon
    Free Member
    thebunk

guess now when you Google that number you’ll get two hits. The Royal Mail site and this thread.

*slaps forehead* Doh!

Also, I think I’ve probably jinxed my delivery from ever getting to me now…

mieszko
    Free Member

It only works with Royal Mail and maybe one or two other like DHL. I tried putting a ParcelFarce tracking number and it did not work. Good as PF is shit! 😡

wwaswas

So if they try to deliver this will it show the delivery address and whether there was anyone there to receive it or not?

thebunk

So if they try to deliver this will it show the delivery address and whether there was anyone there to receive it or not?

It’s a Sram X9 shifter – they’re not very good, so hopefully no-one will want it!

wwaswas

I was more thinking about establishing a) if a house was occupied and b) that there’s likely to be bikes in it?

DT78
    Free Member

Let me guess. Did the tracking service tell you its ‘in progress’

🙄

Onzadog
    Free Member

wwaswas has a good point. You might want to ask a mod to remove that tracking number.

warton
    Free Member

when I got a frame shipped by UPS I got an email with a tracking number. when i viewed it on my iphone the number was highlighted, as all numbers are (it wasn’t highlighted viewing it on my laptop email client) if I clicked the number it took me to the UPS tracking site, but only on my iPhone!

donsimon
    Free Member

I was more thinking about establishing a) if a house was occupied and b) that there’s likely to be bikes in it?

Already checked, nothing worth nicking… 😕

thebunk

The address that was on there was the post office in Hope from which it was sent. There’s a really good bike shop nearby, so that gives you a hint as to where it came from.

When you check now, you can see that it has been delivered to Clifton but failed. You can rearrange delivery to another address, but you need to know my name and address (somewhere near Clifton, Bristol). Probably with a little social engineering you could get these details, either from the post office, singletrack, or the bike shop.

As I said though, all you’ll find is a bike with no shifters on it, so I wouldn’t bother…

Oh, and Don Simon, you’ve been sat in a spanish tapas bar for the last 6 years, according to my records…

donsimon
    Free Member

D’oh!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I googled someone’s name once and got a link to a courier’s website which had details of a package they’d booked in. It included the contents of the package, the home collection address and delivery address.

Knowing that particular someone is a pro DH mountain biker and the package contained a bicycle, it could encourage the package to go missing, and it wouldn’t be too hard to find out when they were out fo the country.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Google – it's getting spooky…’ is closed to new replies.