Google Cloud Print – can I use a networked printer?

Home Forum Chat Forum Google Cloud Print – can I use a networked printer?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Google Cloud Print – can I use a networked printer?
  • sharkbait

As I’m now a very happy Chromebook user I’ve started playing with Google Cloud Print which seems very neat indeed.
    Initially I used it with a USB printer that was connected to one of my Macs and it worked well. The printer is now networked (plugged into an Apple Airport Extreme) and I’m having trouble as it doesn’t show up in Cloud Print.
    Is it possible to use it this way or does it need to be actually plugged into a PC/Mac?

sharkbait

Just found the info….. seems it can’t. Poo.

Oh well I can always save the doc as a PDF to Dropbox/Google Drive then use Remote Desktop to print it from a PC/Mac. Need the old printer to die really 🙂

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

there’s two ways of using cloud print

If you have a “classic” printer attached* to another computer then you can “cloud” print to it via chrome browser.

If you have a “cloud ready” printer you can set it up without an intermediate computer.

*can be wired, wireless or networked, but requires chrome on the host computer

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

if you have a printer attached to your other copmuter/mac, just launch chrome on it and be logged in. You can then use “add cloud printer” on your chromebook and it will find the printer attached to your other computer.

sharkbait

Yep, did ^ this previously Stoner, but I’m not a fan of leaving computers switched on not doing anything – hence networking the printer via the Airport Extreme.

Even if I did leave one on, my girls all have their own accounts so I would get logged out and Cloud Print would stop working.
    Nope, looks like I may go for a new printer once the current inks run out (which won’t be long).
    On a side note, thanks for being a bit of a Chromebook evangelist…. just loving mine.

*currently sat at the kitchen table with a Chrome Remote Desktop session open to my work PC in the office*

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

no problems.

*currently sat at my kitchen table, have just hung up hangout video call with a colleague. now both of us editing a model. will hangout vid him again in a second. got hangout chat going with my brother at Heathrow. RDP running on my PC too. Just how ace is chrome?!! 🙂 *

samuri

give us the address of the printer and we’ll test it for you.

/readies wikipedia print.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Google Cloud Print – can I use a networked printer?’ is closed to new replies.