Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Google Chromecast
  • clubber
    Free Member

So, could anyone with a chromecast confirm that it will play videos linked to from this site for example?

http://www.stream-tv.me

Stoner
    Free Member

beware plex. I installed it on my big PC and used it to serve to my smart TV/ tablet. Then I foudn out how much meta data Plex was storing, GBs of the stuff! And you cant tell it not to. and I had it sitting on a small SSD that couldnt afford the spare space – it’s bad enough with WinXS taking up loads of drive space. So I pulled it off. Which hasnt bothered me as WIndows media service in W7 works perfectly well with the smart TV.

Stoner
    Free Member

clubber – that link doesnt do anything for me. Is it right?

If it helps, I use http://www.couchtuner.eu/tv-streaming/ over chromcasted tabs with no problems.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

Oh, er I meant
    http://www.stream-tv.me

clubber
    Free Member

And can I just say stoner that if it does work, you’re a one man Google-ambassador. I reckon that you’ll be responsible for me getting a chromebook and a chromecast now 🙂 Android I managed myself 😉

Android Wear next then 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

clubber, still nothing. just a holding page

clubber
    Free Member

Doh! Muppet.

http://stream-tv.me !

Stoner
    Free Member

just for you clubber, I have just briefly cast an epsiode of 90210 to my tv from this chromebook. All wors fine. Your site is very similar to the one I linked to and it uses similar online vid streaming resources. Just pick your vid, click play, click to cast it and then go full screen.

Chromecast on the chromebook can be told to go silent when it’s casting, the sound then only comes out of the tv. Leave the tab running in the background and you can use a second tab to go to different site.

clubber
    Free Member

90210 – Nice. Never have such unlikely and major life problems been so quickly and neatly solved all within the confines of a single episode…

Guess I’ll have to go out and buy one then 🙂

Thanks a lot 👿 😉

(has there been any suggestion that the tab-casting from android will be added any time soon?)

theflatboy
    Free Member

On the basis of the above plus the fact that I understand you can also cast to it from Popcorn Time, I’m in.

johndoh
    Free Member

Popcorn Time – is that the, ahem, not so legal one that streams torrents via a nice interface?

theflatboy
    Free Member

It is indeed. Popcorn Time itself is of course completely legal; I’m not condoning anyone actually using it for anything.

warton
    Free Member

Popcorn time is down now isn’t it?

theflatboy
    Free Member

The Popcorn Time creators have stopped developing / hosting it. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t still work if you already have it or can obtain it.

Freester

So I have an older Panasonic Smart TV. The apps are a bit limited.

I’ve messed around with Twonky Beam app which is good for ‘beaming’ Youtube and other websites to the TV via DLNA. You need to have support for the webpage or app within the Twonky Beam app.

For 30 quid this seems a good way of getting round missing apps on my TV. Being able to beam any page from Chrome is great. Especially once the Android browser support arrives.

Mmmmmm….

deviant
    Free Member

Bought mine today, dont know what all this fuss is about needing laptops or plugging laptops in….it hadnt even crossed my mind that people may want to do that.

My understanding is that it allows your Android tablet or phone to display things on a bigger screen?, thats what i did today anyway.

Downloaded the app, plugged in the dongle to the back of my TV and started watching Youtube, Redbull TV, iPlayer, etc etc on the big screen instead of peering at content on a 4 inch device.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Picked it up and plugged it in. Sorted in about a minute. Then it updates and your ready to go. Kids are happy as it’s so quick to find fun stuff on YouTube cast and queue it. Transformers trailer probably not appropriate for a 3yr old. IPlayer you can watch old stuff or even live. I’m thinking when we go on holiday if the place has WiFi and HDMI it might be ace to keep them entertained. Really easy to use. Only thing can’t do is browse the internet using my phone on the big screen. Not tried the PC yet.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

iPlayer works on my Chromecast with country code ‘US’ so must be picking up country code from my broadband. Great stuff!

warton
    Free Member

bit os a side quetion. Is anyone using the US DNS code for Netflix? any issues with them at the moment? I tried last night, and the only one hat did’t kill my connection just linked to UK netflix…

deft
    Free Member

Been playing with a few local file players from Github. Very early days and a bit fiddly, but there are some that will transcode on the fly. Most videos just need repackaging or only the audio transcoding, which doesn’t take much CPU. Give it a few weeks and I’m sure someone will come up with a more polished solution – Plex is a bit bloaty for my liking.

chakaping
    Free Member

iPlayer works on my Chromecast with country code ‘US’ so must be picking up country code from my broadband. Great stuff!

Good to hear.

May not have to spend so much time scouring the BBC4 schedule for “interesting” documentaries to record.

warton
    Free Member

Anyone having issues casting Netflix from android? I can’t do it…

warton
    Free Member

All working nicely now. Nice piece of kit. It will be interesting to see how it develops over the coming months…

Russell96

Mines just arrived, my that was painless to install and get running.

DezB
    Free Member

Mine’s just arrived.
    How disappointing!
    Youtube videos that I can already get through my TV (but never use)
    Chrome Browser (ok, thats good)
    That’s about it!
    Installed the shitty RealPlayer Cloud which everywhere says is one of the enabled apps, but it hasn’t got a “cast” icon… do I have to pay for it?
    Information on Chromecast website and RealPlayer website is pretty limited.

bob_summers

Seems interesting but in the end I’ve bought an MK908 which does more or less the same thing but I can also use it in class to plug into a projector, saving carrying a laptop on the bike (I hope…). I might get a Chromecast as well if it can play stuff from my media server (mediatomb).

miketually
    Free Member

If we hadn’t recently bought a Smart TV, I think we’d have gone for a Chromecast. Equally, if we had a second TV somewhere else in the house, it’d be a no-brainer to get one.

We’ve an old 19″ LCD TV in the loft that I’m considering sticking in the garage, just to have an excuse to buy a Chromecast 🙂

PrinceJohn

Just bought one… what a fantastic tool… been using the PS3 for streaming duties for the last 2 years, won’t be again.
    Along with ‘Hola’ allowing me to other countries Netflix content it’s great, the ability to cast chrome tabs means that it’s unlikely I’ll ever need to plug my laptop into the TV again.

Now just need to work out a decent free DLNA app & we’ll be pretty much there…

Freester

Twonky Beam is alright…

prawny

Twonky Beam is alright.

Bubble UPnP is awesome, I started using it while I was running cyanogenmod on my phone and I’ve carried on even though the standard video app does it. It’s just very good.

brassneck

beware plex. I installed it on my big PC and used it to serve to my smart TV/ tablet. Then I foudn out how much meta data Plex was storing, GBs of the stuff! And you cant tell it not to. and I had it sitting on a small SSD that couldnt afford the spare space – it’s bad enough with WinXS taking up loads of drive space. So I pulled it off. Which hasnt bothered me as WIndows media service in W7 works perfectly well with the smart TV.

Not noticed this on the OS X version, but I’ll have a check now you mention it.

PrinceJohn

Bubble UPnP is awesome, I started using it while I was running cyanogenmod on my phone and I’ve carried on even though the standard video app does it. It’s just very good.

Yup – that’s what I’m using, awesome app.

DickBarton

I’ve got it and I’ve managed to get it sorted and casting – cheers for the Ctrl+O trick – hadn’t thought of that!

Iplayer works and Youtube works, plus casting from Chrome. If using the PC then whatever is on that tab is shown on the tv – so you could use it as a glorified monitor (not entirely sure why though!).

Plugged it in, downloaded the app and it found the Chromecast and got it hooked up to my broadband, then it kind of just works…good bit of kit but I’ve absolutely no idea how to use it other than a means to show what is on my PC or phone on a bigger screen.

What else is it meant to do? How do you access it to see what is on the actual device (if anything)?

warton
    Free Member

good bit of kit but I’ve absolutely no idea how to use it other than a means to show what is on my PC or phone on a bigger screen.

thats all it does!

I’m waiting for a mobile TV catchup app upgrade…

somouk
    Free Member

Been using mine with the Synology video app that supports it and it’s excellent.

Also works away from the home network unlike airplay so can watch films from my NAS at others houses.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So open a video in a chrome tab and play on the TV?

Does it play at the full quality? Any idea on how it works when in a hotel etc? It would be nice to bounce stuff to the main TV in the room. I’m guessing I would need to use my phone to make a WiFi network in the room for it to work.

Sorry if I’ve missed it but if thats the case then I’m off to order one

molgrips
    Free Member

It does not work in hotels etc. Because you have to connect it to wifi, and it can’t handle those login pages you have to go through.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but as it’s not using the internet to play locally stored stuff you should be able to configure it to a phone acting as a hotspot?

somouk
    Free Member

but as it’s not using the internet to play locally stored stuff you should be able to configure it to a phone acting as a hotspot?

Biggest issue would be setting it up as you connect to it with wifi to then join it to the wifi network, if your phone is connected to the chromecast you can’t also broadcast your own hotspot SSID so it wouldn’t work.

You could cheat and turn your phones SSID/Key into the same as your wireless network at home and that way no matter whether you were at home or away it would connect to it without intervention.

It does not work in hotels etc. Because you have to connect it to wifi, and it can’t handle those login pages you have to go through.

Browser tab casting should still work as it’s casting from your device, not sure you would get the bandwidth on a hotels wifi network for it to work very well so would probably only be 480p.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Google Chromecast’ is closed to new replies.