Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Goodbye to the cashless society…
  • poly
    Free Member

Interesting how many small businesses like what seems to be all the local barbers and kebab shops/takeaways have suddenly stopped taking card payments and want cash.
    I’m assuming that the cost of card payments is suddenly too high for them.

Local turkish barber started taking card payments in Jan, because all the local cashpoints have closed.

Sumup/Square/etc make it very simple, fast to receive the cash and as far as I can see pretty cheap (40p on a my haircut). Financially probably more of a risk that you get chargebacks/complaints, but then is that more of a risk than dodgy notes?

Local Chinese takeaway stopped taking cards about a year ago (and haven’t restarted despite covid). I assumed they had financial issues when they stopped. I’m now more cynical and suspect they are not putting all sales through the books, and probably paying some staff off the books as well. It is the best Chinese in town though… Most of the others have some sort of App which will be taking far more of the sale price.

I don’t make purchasing decisions on haircuts or takeaways on price – so would not object to either adding a few pounds to the price to cover their transaction costs and lower throughput.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Burger vans on industrial estates have never been required to close.

Indeed. But when majority of the businesses around you are closed who’s using you ?

Knock on effect.

Case in point there’s one I use near my office on a Friday maybe once a month although I run past it daily pre lockdown

It’s always heaving pre lock down and on a Friday you can wait 30 minutes for food.. I used it twice since lock down started due to lack of other facilities near by(ie they were closed) It’s still cash only and I was able to get food in less than 5 minutes even though he cooked it while I was on site.

neilnevill
    Free Member

While there is a charge for card payments many businesses will want cash or to charge for small items. In the Local chemist 2 days ago, their minimum card payment was£3. Luckily I had the £2.80ish in change.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I avoid our local Greengrocer even though it’s cheaper than the Coop as it was cash only till CV-19 hit. I just think Tax dodger when it’s cash only.

I’ll stick my neck out.

As a former Bank ‘Manager’ and underwriter who worked for a time in an Accountancy Practice. You might be right.

I’m sure there are small business out there who diligently account for every penny, who keep meticulous records of their sales going back years on their EPOS systems, but I think they’re the exception rather than the rule.

The amount of times when I was in banking and we turned down a lend the customer would say “oh, do you want to see the ‘real’ books?” or how many times we were asked to take bundles of cash to settle finance (carrier bags full at times) or how pretty much every cash-business we had in the accountancy firm would ask “how much money can I show on my books?”.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

if your haircut was 8 or 9 quid, you wouldn’t just tell them to keep the change? its never occurred to me people wouldn’t.

I always found it odd that the prices of everything managed to remain in multiples of £5.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

There’s a lot of small business owners who don’t see the costs of things they do, they only see the cost of what they get charged. So they see the cost of accepting a card payment and see what they’re charged by the bank to handle cash and think cash is cheaper but don’t take account of the time it takes the business to handle cash (count it, bag it, visit bank etc).

Firm I used to work for provided free tea, coffee etc and every couple of days a director would toddle off to Tesco for 30-40mins and come back with 4 litres of milk. Another company quoted to supply us with the refreshments but were rebuffed because their quote was more expensive than the £10 a week we were currently spending – completely failed to take into account the hours of time of a director salary (£75K) that was lost each year. I must have been drinking the most expensive cups of tea in Britain every day.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Chinese takeaway in our small market town (no actual market) only takes cash, always has in the 11 years wev’e been here. Not that I use it.
    Dunno what bank charges are for taking cards nowadays but when I was self employed with a petrol station the charge for taking a credit card was 2.5% of the transaction. I was only making 5% profit on petrol sales! When debit cards came along they were 10p per transaction.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Don’t think I’m going to have a choice – the bank branch closed 3 years ago and the two cash machines I used have been boarded up.

clubby

Premier Icon
    oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Tax avoidance vs Tax evasion innit

Exactly. Don’t here many people on here complain about the C2W scheme.

Northwind

Some will probably have let their card payment services lapse during the lockdown, and are now waiting to see whether it’s worth restarting it if things stay quiet. Taking cards is easy now, but it still costs.

scaredypants

Exactly. Don’t here many people on here complain about the C2W scheme.

You bloody do – tiny maximum spend and no top-up; can’t just buy a grand’s worth of carbon wheels; …

reluctantjumper

Don’t think I’m going to have a choice – the bank branch closed 3 years ago and the two cash machines I used have been boarded up.

This is the way things are going. Banks don’t like running smaller branches as they cost more to maintain and staff than the income they bring in and cashpoints only make sense if they have high usage or can charge £1.99 per withdrawal. Banks are moving towards one large branch in the main town in each area full of self-serve machines and cashpoints will only be at branches, supermarkets or other prime spots with high usage.

The current advice to use contactless where possible will only accelerate this.

binners

Yeah, right.

We’re about to enter a world where we’re going to have far, far higher unemployment than we saw at the end of the 80’s.

Good luck with your cashless society

In the economy we’re about to enter, wads of notes is going to be where it’s at, and a lack of bank branches and cash machines isn’t going to make any difference to that.

There’s only going to be one part of this countries economy seeing any growth in the next couple of years. The ‘cash only’ black economy with nothing going through the books.

Welcome to the brave new world. 1980’s style

Rubber_Buccaneer

80’s? What you on about Binners, I reckon it’ll be more of a WW2 style black market economy. I’m stocking up on nylons and chocolate

mikertroid
    Free Member

I can’t remember when I last used cash.

I always ask if card or contactless is acceptable and if not I head elsewhere, which is pretty rare now TBF.

CountZero

The only places locally that take cash that I know of are the Kebab place at the entrance to the big industrial estate I used to work on, and the small barber shop down the road that I used for a short while, but don’t any more since I cut my hair off and bought clippers.
    The Kebab place (it’s not so much a van, more a rectangular caravan-type thing with one open side), is busy as hell, enough businesses were open through the shutdown, and he’s just off a major junction of the A350/A420, so plenty of passing traffic.

tjagain

pre covid I always used cash – I simply find it easier to control my spending and as a minor aside with my tinfoil hat on I prefer to leave a smaller data trace. Now I am obviously using cashless a lot of the time and I don’t know if I will go back

doomanic

I’ve been cashless for years, in both senses…

I only use cash for haircuts (but now do my own) and the lottery at work. I find it much easier to track spending with plastic thanks to all the apps that are available. I also get Section 75 protection on larger purchases and cash back from the card and Quidco. Double win.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I know a window cleaner who only takes cheques.

He doesn’t declare his earnings fully.

if your haircut was 8 or 9 quid, you wouldn’t just tell them to keep the change? its never occurred to me people wouldn’t.

If your shopping was 8 or 9 quid would you tell the person behind the counter to keep the change?

Each to their own but tipping is just stupid for anything. Is it evenly distributed? Do chefs get a cut, do receptionist? They all play a part on services at different places, tips usually only end up with the front man/woman.

Just charge a price that allows a fair wage for all involved.

Woody
    Free Member

…..tips usually only end up with the front man/woman.

Not true IME although it varies from business to business and there are some greedy bastards who don’t share tips with staff.

I like being able to tip when I feel I have received good service and my personal opinion is that people who make a big deal out of never tipping use it as an excuse to justify their own meanness!

ampthill

The amount of times when I was in banking and we turned down a lend the customer would say “oh, do you want to see the ‘real’ books?” or how many times we were asked to take bundles of cash to settle finance (carrier bags full at times) or how pretty much every cash-business we had in the accountancy firm would ask “how much money can I show on my books?”.

As we suspected

oldtennisshoes

Firm I used to work for provided free tea, coffee etc and every couple of days a director would toddle off to Tesco for 30-40mins and come back with 4 litres of milk. Another company quoted to supply us with the refreshments but were rebuffed because their quote was more expensive than the £10 a week we were currently spending – completely failed to take into account the hours of time of a director salary (£75K) that was lost each year. I must have been drinking the most expensive cups of tea in Britain every day.

I suspect directors knew exactly what the costs and opportunities were. The idea that one of the directors takes responsibility for providing refreshments to the staff is powerful. I’d also guess that the director was doing other things whilst getting the milk.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’d also guess that the director was doing other things whilst getting the milk.

doomanic

My wife works in a posh hotel. All cash tips are handed in and distributed even amongst all the staff based on the hours they work. The only exception is if a guest specifically mentions a member of staff on checkout.

Tips are taxed at source.

I suspect that not all the tips make it to the pot though.

damascus
    Free Member

Physical money as in coins and paper just seems like a weird and old concept to me. The sooner it’s gone the better.

Now is the perfect time to get rid of cash all together. Make every transaction accountable through a bank account.

A lot of self employed friends returned to work very quickly even though the government was paying them 80% of their tax returns!

Not declaring all your work and not paying tax is the same as benefit fraud (in my book) it’s stealing money from the government which could be used for services etc. However, because they are working it’s not seen as the same and everyone does it so its OK.

Problem comes when the low declared earnings and everything written off by clever accountants means they then become entitled to claim tax credits!

Ban cash! Move into the 21st century.

My rant over!

tjagain

On tipping

In a restaurant always tip in cash. If you add it to the bill you pay cashless then sometimes the servers do not get it.

In hotels I leave cash in the room for the cleaners

burko73

I remember going to an Indian restaurant in Mansfield with some colleagues and asking for a vat receipt after our meal to claim our expenses. The guy looked perplexed, said they couldn’t give us one as they weren’t vat registered! I can’t remember the vat threshold at the time but it might have been £70k turnover pa. there were at least 3 staff there on a weds eve. Found it hard to believe they could turn over less that £70k once they bought ingredients, Rent, power, staff etc.

K

I was payed cash for a small job before corona came about and I’ve not been able to pay it in because the “local” branch is only open 9.30-3.30 seemingly random 3 days in the week and not Saturdays! So to pay it in means me loosing about 3 hours of a working day. I can’t pay suppliers with it, can’t use it personally (don’t want to) use the cash as cash, don’t want coins change, so I’ve just got it in my bag incase I go near somewhere to pay it in. At lease with cheques I can scan them in with banking app.

The banks don’t want cash and I think its just pushing the black market and cash jobs more because the people are becoming trapped in to a cash way of working. There is no incentive to make the switch to cashless for the people who using it.

tjagain

In Gibsons dystopian future there is a theoretically cashless society but in actual fact a huge parallel economy using old cash thats supposed to be withdrawn for circulation but has been hoarded and then cycles round the black economy

grum
    Free Member

I remember going to an Indian restaurant in Mansfield with some colleagues and asking for a vat receipt after our meal to claim our expenses.

So you were fiddling your expenses and they were fiddling VAT, cool! 😛

sharkbait
    Free Member

A lot of self employed friends returned to work very quickly even though the government was paying them 80% of their tax returns!

That’s because the self-employed were not required to stop work even though they were given a grant – the gov specifically pointed this out.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Goodbye to the cashless society…’ is closed to new replies.