Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Goodbye T4 , hello Transit Custom
  • revs1972
    Free Member

Signed on the bottom line for a spanking new Transit Custom DCIV today.
    After receiving a paltry trade in offer on my T5, I realised I could take advantage of Fords scrappage scheme to “ahem” dispose of my dead T4. Cambelt went end of 2016 taking most of the valves with it, and despite getting my hand on a replacement engine with a good head, just not had the time to get it fixed. Was going to need a fair bit of welding to get through the MOT ( ran out May 17).
    Comparing the bottom line price before I asked about scrappage to the final price I paid , looks like the old girl was worth £2.5k in the deal. Going to swop the shiney bits over with some standard parts, and sell the rock and roll bed, and should realise around £3.5k. Quite happy with that . One less thing to worry about ( well once I’ve trailered it down to their preferred scrappy that is)

nick1962
    Free Member

Heathen,the STW VW fanbois will smite thee down.

revs1972
    Free Member

Forgive me father, for I have sinned.
    Dare I say it, the Tranny is much nicer to drive than the T5 too 👿

dmorts

Ford Transit Customs are very nice, looks and drive. On par if not better than VW

CountZero

I drove a Transit Tourneo the other day, modified for wheelchair access at the back with a ramp, and also drove a couple of Peugeot Partner Teepees, both about Transit sized. They were typical vans, the Tourneo, on the other hand, was like a big car! A delight to drive, fast, nimble, comfortable, handled well, didn’t boom and rattle, really impressed with it.
    I’ve driven a number of traditional Transits, but this was the first in the current Custom style, and I’d happily take one over a T-Series VW, if I were in the market for a van for personal use.
    Nicer styled than the VW vans as well.

nick1962
    Free Member

Yet another STW athiest thread but this time full of VW heretics 😉

Phil_H

Have Ford sorted the trannsit rot?

revs1972
    Free Member

It’s the 170ps flavour with all the toys in LWB. The demo vehicle was same spec but SWB.
    Gone for the auto , seems on a par with the DSG of my T5, but much more rapid.
    That stop start engine business caught me out on the first roundabout though, thought I’d stalled it 😯

pirahna
    Free Member

Every Transit I see has some sort of light problem. The driver puts an indicator on and the brake lights flicker for example. Every scenario of a vehicle lighting fault is played out in Transits.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Have Ford sorted the trannsit rot?

Arguably have VW sorted the t4 / T5 rot ?

Everything rots. It’s down to environment and use. Vast majority of t5s are toys and recreational vehicles compared to the number of transits and sprinters working for a living.

Early transit customs had big loom issues my neighbours work yolk has had 3…. To try and solve issues nentioned above with phantom lights and indicators

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whilst I wouldn’t say it was bad, its still not ‘car like’ unless your last car was a 2CV. You still turn the wheel at wet roundabouts and find out it’s merely a serving suggestion for which direction the van would like to go in!

trail_rat
    Free Member

its still not ‘car like’ unless your last car was a 2CV.

a comparison only made if you have never driven a 2cv 😉

You still turn the wheel at wet roundabouts and find out it’s merely a serving suggestion for which direction the van would

sounds like you have had hire vans to me …. still got those uni directional no sipes designed to do 60mph up and down the motorway all day and return max mpg tires on….. if you fit some proper tires it transforms them – ok its not a group b rally car but it’ll drive under normal conditions at normal speeds as well as a.n.other vehicle.

and at non making progress speeds modern vans waft along in as much comfort as your modern cars these days – unless of course you prefer the lazeeboy lie me down position of mercedes/audis these days and with the power of some of the vans available off the shelf for not that much cash compared to cars with the same power…. they can overtake on a whim too…. all while carrying your bikes out of sight/out of mind and out of spray – while also having room to stick in a rnr bed for sleeping.

mates got a transit custom sport 150. its an impressive driving bit of kit – for a van…. its not a focus ST but then it doesn’t pretend to be… after all – you cant stick a sofa in the back of a focus ST …..

shermer75
    Free Member

So you now have a Transit and a T5?

simonloco
    Free Member

# Goes into orbit & looks out the window at T4 with tear in eye # 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good choice OP, at least it’s a Van and not a Van masquerading as a “lifestyle vehicle” 🙄

strangey13
    Free Member

A couple at work have have been broken in to a few of times and there’s a mod they can fo apparently. Think the front locks get popped then they can get in the back. Nice vans to be in though, I wanted one but got slapped down by the Mrs and she got a Fiesta again instead.

convert

Currently have a Duacato I converted into a camper. If doing it again I’d be tempted by something a little smaller and one of those would be just perfect.

revs1972
    Free Member

So you now have a Transit and a T5?

Pick it up on the 22nd.
    2 options with the T5, sell between now and then , or spend some money getting it converted to camper spec and try to sell it for more money come the summer 😆

Although the accountant might have something to say about it seeing as they are my company vehicles 🙄

mattsccm
    Free Member

Did someone say that Transits have indicators? I beg to differ!

doug_basqueMTB.com

OP, I have that van with 9 seats. LWB transit custom with the 170 engine. It’s absolutely fantastic, so nice to drive. I’ve actually got two, and have done 15000km on each this summer. They have been absolutely brilliant. Only slight niggles for me are a lack of power before the turbo kicks in and absolutely no engine braking. Both those things noticeable on steep mountains with a full trailer behind you! Other than that they are fast, comfortable and handle great. I love mine!

simmy
    Free Member

I don’t know about the latest ones but the early Transit Customs had issues with the front door locks being twisted with mole grips and the van opening.

I’ve seen a lot of them with lock covers fitted to prevent this.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

sounds like you have had hire vans to me …. still got those uni directional no sipes designed to do 60mph up and down the motorway all day and return max mpg tires on….. if you fit some proper tires it transforms them – ok its not a group b rally car but it’ll drive under normal conditions at normal speeds as well as a.n.other vehicle.

Its the work van, but yes it has whatever miss match of tyres the garage has in stock when it punctures.

Its not bad, it handles and rides exactly like you’d expect 1.5t of van to handle with all the weight on the front axle, ditto the ride , with all that weight under the driver it wafts you down the motorway, but still rattles you to bits down a rough track. No van drives ‘like a car’ unless your frame of reference is a really bad car. Even a Berlingo doesn’t handle like a car unless you compare it to another citoren (better than a 2CV, but so is a fiesta).

jonm81

I bought a Tourneo Custom LWB 170 auto 3 months ago. Got £6k under the scrappage scheme for my knackered passat.

It is lovely to drive, quiet and quicker than the 180 hp VW T6 my mate has as it is lighter. The gearbox can be a little clunky around town especially when changing down but it is still great.

It’s much better than the T5s and T6s I’ve had as rental vans.

Edit: after 5000 miles I’m getting an average of 41.8mpg so pretty economical too.

Shandy
    Free Member

I run Caddys, Transporters and Crafers for work. The Transporters are the best of a bad bunch in terms of reliability but I would really struggle to justify the premium over the Transit now they have the auto gearbox.

sheeps

Just done the same… P.Ex’d a dying T4 (but going) and bought a Tourneo Custom LWB, as the equivalent T5 was about 25% more. Went tourneo as this gives removable seats in the back. Just ‘using’ it at the moment before doing a stealth camper fit out

zilog6128

Yep great vans, look better & more gadgets than Transporters plus way cheaper. Drive great (have replaced car with one).

OP make sure you have a Hykee style security lock on order for when you pick it up (unless the dealer is doing it for you). Standard lock is pants.

sbob
    Free Member

revs1972 – Member

Dare I say it, the Tranny is much nicer to drive than the T5 too

Handles like a car!
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyWS1klwuhM[/video]

bothybiker
    Free Member

Had one as a hire van for a few days, bit different to my LR but got used it after a few miles and enjoyed it. Only complaint was clutch pedal (not bite) seemed very high. Suspect the auto would suit me a lot more, sounds a good buy!

lotto
    Free Member

I’m looking at Transit Customs too as in the middle of house renovations. Scared to take on a new diesel though as I suspect the government are taking aim to tax them out of existence. I’ll be looking at the petrol hybrid they are bringing to the market and hoping for some kind of early technology adopter financial benefits and hopefully a healthy trade in for my current 12 year old oil burner.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Just sold a T5 shuttle and whilst the build quality of the interior wasn’t as good as I’d expected it drove really nicely for a van. I’d happily look at a Transit in a few years when we might need one again but only if it was less Ford like than every Ford I’ve driven thus far. Their interior designers’ liking for light grey plastic and crappy buttons is much greater than mine.

jamesoz

Regarding the crappy interior buttons I can tell you that after 160000 miles of careful neglect they still all function on our work ones.
    Judging by the lack of rust on the heavily battle scarred vans the rot is no longer an issue.
    Things to watch are the door hinges, front doors shift forward under heavy braking and the bodywork gets damaged when you open the door. A couple of them had stiff rear doors and we believe the body to have twisted. The steel is very thin and dents if you look at too hard. One of the lads badly damaged the back door by slamming it. The bonnet on mine has a couple of large unexplained dents.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Goodbye T4 , hello Transit Custom’ is closed to new replies.