Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Goodbye May Goodbye
  • binners

People posting scummy comments on social media about people they don’t know is what’s poisoning our society.

Or maybe whats poisoning our society is the creation of a harsh, uncaring and in some cases actively hostile environment towards the weakest and most disadvantaged in society by a ruling party utterly devoid of compassion or empathy.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put it past Boris to back down from going for the leadership, just like he did when Maybot “won” the poison chalice vote… Boris was probably banking on Maybot getting Brexit over the line before resigning, now the next PM has the opportunity to revoke Brexit or send the UK finances into oblivion for the coming decades.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put it past Boris to back down from going for the leadership, just like he did when Maybot “won” the poison chalice vote… Boris was probably banking on Maybot getting Brexit over the line before resigning, now the next PM has the opportunity to revoke Brexit or send the UK finances into oblivion for the coming decades.

I do seem to recall he was pretty keen to run away from the mess he made viz Brexit.

PJay
    Free Member

Theresa had an impossible job with Brexit

Not really, Parliament could have debated what sort of Brexit they wanted and a consensus could have been reached before Article 50 was triggered, leaving plenty of time to negotiate. Instead she triggered Article 50 and tried to steamroller her views through without involving Parliament (who had to fight to take back some control).

In the end, with the clock running out, she come up with a half-baked deal that nobody wanted and refused to back down. The Brexit debacle (and the collapse of British Steel as a result) is her mess entirely.

As with others, I’m glad to see her go but terrified of who’ll replace her!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

, Parliament could have debated what sort of Brexit they wanted and a consensus could have been reached

Ha ha ha.

PJay
    Free Member

, Parliament could have debated what sort of Brexit they wanted and a consensus could have been reached

Ha ha ha.

🙂 Yes, unlikely I know, but there was no time limit on triggering Article 50 and, IMHO, no good reason to trigger it without knowing what you were negotiating for. A Consensus could have been reached, albeit slowly and quite possibly not until after a General Election.

El-bent
    Free Member

The ERG & Moggists are taking control and pushing the UK further to the right. I fear we have dark days ahead of us, dark days indeed.

Dark days will only happen if you let them. Don’t fear, fight.

Or maybe whats poisoning our society is the creation of a harsh, uncaring and in some cases actively hostile environment towards the weakest and most disadvantaged in society by a ruling party utterly devoid of compassion or empathy.

This totally. Show no mercy.

chewkw
    Free Member

Finally, PM May is going.

She tried to back stab the people by not honouring the referendum so she should Not be a PM.

Let’s see if the next PM has the guts to Brexit.

One wrong move their party will be drained.

😀

brakes
    Free Member

I must admit I had a weird sensation when seeing the end of her speech – I simultaneously laughed out loud when her voice broke at the end and welled up a little

Maybot

martinhutch

I simultaneously laughed out loud when her voice broke at the end and welled up a little

Yes…feel the hate flow through you…

I confess me and my lad did exactly the same.

Coyote
    Free Member

She was handed a poisoned chalice

Complete and utter bollocks of the highest order. She grabbed it with both hands to further her political ambitions. Her actions as Home Secretary demonstrated her vileness regardless of what media editors chose to show.

chewkw
    Free Member

Let’s see if the next PM has the guts to Brexit NO deal as we should be Out by now.

🤔

matt_outandabout

Damned if she did, damned if she didn’t. Don’t envy her, despite not agreeing with her politics. Ensuing carnage is quite apt..

This.

PrinceJohn

She was handed a poisoned chalice and I have a suspicion she was even set up as the “fall guy” for a job everybody knew would fail thanks to every other political leader in Europe wanting it to fail.

She wanted the job – she then showed gross incompetence in the job. If she was any good we would have left the EU by now, or been well on our way. She had one major job to deliver. History will not be kind to her, she’s the worst Prime Minister that I have seen for 40 years.

Drac

Let’s see if the next PM has the guts to abolish Brexit we should be staying in.

kerley
    Free Member

I do think she has a condition/personality disorder as she is so delusional about what she has done and has no ability to accept anything else.

kerley
    Free Member

Damned if she did, damned if she didn’t.

Not really. She took an approach that clearly wasn’t working and stuck with it. I think she still thinks it should work now. She could have started off with indicative votes to see what parliament wanted/agreed to, worked across the parties (as Brexit is not a party thing) and then worked from there. If that hadn’t worked out then it would be very different to what she did.

chewkw
    Free Member

Let’s see if the next PM has the guts to abolish Brexit we should be staying in.

😀

outofbreath
    Free Member

a consensus could have been reached

laughing face

Cougar

Lifted shamelessly from Facebook, original source unknown.

P-Jay
    Free Member

She was handed a poisoned chalice and I have a suspicion she was even set up as the “fall guy” for a job everybody knew would fail thanks to every other political leader in Europe wanting it to fail.

She wanted the job – she then showed gross incompetence in the job. If she was any good we would have left the EU by now, or been well on our way. She had one major job to deliver. History will not be kind to her, she’s the worst Prime Minister that I have seen for 40 years.

Agreed, it’s easy for nice, compassionate people to think about the state of affairs when she took office, the ways things went and conclude, quite rightly “sod that for a game of solders”.

But we could keep in mind, as PrinceJohn said, she wanted the Job, not only did she want it, she fought like only someone who wins a Tory leadership contest can fight.

In the end, she blubbed when they finally made her resign, completely beside herself at the thought of losing the ‘big job’ the disappointment and probably a sense of relief that it’s all over.

When 72 people died in a fire, in part caused by the combined efforts of a Tory council and tory profiteering, she remained unmoved.

When her Government was deporting people who’d lived here for decades and were invited to do so when we needed them, she remained unmoved.

When she wasted precious time trying to appease the nasty (nastier) right of her party, knowing full well, because her own Civil Servants and everyone who’s job it is to know such things that it was to the detriment of pretty much everyone, apart from the very people she wanted to appease, she remained unmoved.

As far as I can tell in her entire, abet short Premiership she has done nothing other the bring pain, suffering and uncertainty to all but a few hundred people in the UK, her only saving grace is that she is less bad that some of her peers.

Yep, She’s Darth Vader without the personality and last minute redemption – she’s horrible, but the Emperor was worse.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The next leader of the Conservatives has a number of contradictory conundrums to solve before the next GE.

* Since 1995, the Conservatives have held a parliamentary majority for only two years (2015-2017). Part of the problem is a core policy message that is an anathema to centrist voters and an aging member base that’s shrunk considerably in terms of size but who’ve become grossly disconnected with society on the whole.

* Local party associations have been infiltrated by a very vocal UKIP contingent who’ve used their selection veto to ensure that MPs are either rabid Brexiteers or are cowed into toeing the line.

* The BXP is splitting the right wing vote, so the next party leader will likely wish to form an alliance in order to avoid being nerfed out of office and kept there for decades.

* Assuming that a new leader means a sea change in policies to align with the BXP vote then a GE will likely need to be called to provide a mandate. Assuming that the policy is for a no deal Brexit, the subsequent GE in 2024 would be punitive on the back of economic disruption – remember that the ERM crisis and subsequent hike in interest rates put a great many core Tory voters into negative equity who turned on the party five years later in 1997.

* Revoking Brexit without a bold and ambitious plan to address wealth inequality is an anathema to most Conservatives who simultaneously want to leave the EU (and as such leave the hard work of solving extremely complex problems to MPs shackled to an ideologically narrow party line), cut taxes and ensure that their bins are emptied once a week. The party membership expects their Brexit, but want to dump the problem solving onto someone else.

The next leader would do well to try to broaden their appeal, to bring in new members who are not traditional Conservatives (they’re dying out, remember) and in doing so will need to sell centrist policies. David Cameron tried and failed to achieve this.

willard

You’re basically saying that any new Tory leader will have to do what Blair did in ’97. That’s likely to hurt any new Tory leader

PJM1974
    Free Member

That’s a pretty good summary @willard, as things stand the position is strategically unwinnable mainly because the policies demanded by a tiny percentage of the general public (assuming that 60,000 party members are active they represent less than 1% of the population). The concern for me is that some mop-headed buffoon without imagination and more than their fair share of narcissism will lurch towards populism by trying to bend the electorate and ignoring the centre ground a la Trump, Putin etc.

roger_mellie

or a larch to the right

This one?

[ Sorry 😉 ]

PJM1974
    Free Member

Quite alright!

munrobiker
    Free Member

She is indeed vile. My wife and I learnt this when she was Home Secretary and changed the laws on spounse visas three months before our wedding. The new rules were genuinely spiteful, and showed a complete lack of understanding of the old rules. She was the first female winner of “Munrobiker’s Most Evil Man in Britain” contest in 2012. While I’d like to say she can get to ***, the replacement is likely to be Boris, who won the same contest way back in 2011.

ransos
    Free Member

She was a vindictive Home Secretary and a tone-deaf Prime Minister, but it’s about to get worse. The Tory party is taking fright at its haemorrhaging of votes to UKIP and the Brexit Party, and will doubtless tack even further to the right in order to win them back. It will be interesting to see what traditional One-Nation Tories do over the next couple of years. Most likely nothing so long as they’re in power…

outofbreath
    Free Member

Most likely nothing so long as they’re in power…

Do they want to be in “power”? There’s never been a better time to be in opposition.

cokie

She is indeed vile. My wife and I learnt this when she was Home Secretary and changed the laws on spounse visas three months before our wedding. The new rules were genuinely spiteful, and showed a complete lack of understanding of the old rules. She was the first female winner of “Munrobiker’s Most Evil Man in Britain” contest in 2012. While I’d like to say she can get to ***, the replacement is likely to be Boris, who won the same contest way back in 2011.

Hang on.. they won just the one year?

P-Jay
    Free Member

The Tory party is taking fright at its haemorrhaging of votes to UKIP and the Brexit Party,

I don’t know about that, forget UKIP, they’re dead, their leader has left them, they’re going to be the new BNP, going further than further left until they pick up from the EDL.

The Brexit Party is just one man and the first couple of weirdos he managed to grab to stand in the EU elections. The Tories can rely on voter apathy more than Labour can. Farage has stood to be an MP at least 7 times, possibly more and never come close to winning, moreover, it’s been shown that it’s Labour voters who slide over the Farage when the chips are down, not always the Tories.

The next leader has got a tough job – their MPs aren’t aligned to their Party members, after-all, Party Members of all Parties only every represent a vocal minority of the public – they need thousands of votes to become leader, but millions to win and election.

So the Party members love Boris, but his fellow MPs hate him – it doesn’t matter what the Party members think if it’s Raab and Gove in the final 2. If he gets into the final 2, he wins I think, I hope, and think that enough Tory MPs would drag themselves over hot coals to stop that happening, especially the Remainy ones. He’s the sort of person who aim to deselect anyone he doesn’t like.

Moses

Fantastic-
    She was a pro-Remain supporter in 2016.
    She has seen how bad Brexit will be, and now has the chance to cancel Article 50 and save the UK. She has nothing to lose!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Hang on.. they won just the one year?

No repeat winners. And there’s a LOT of competition on that side of the political spectrum.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Fantastic-
    She has seen how bad Brexit will be, and now has the chance to cancel Article 50 and save the UK. She has nothing to lose!

That would be the mic drop to end all mic drops.

miketually
    Free Member

let’s not forget that she is a truly vile human being.

How do you know? Have you met her? Surely all you know about her is what TV editors have chosen to show you?

The voting records of MPs is available online; that’s a pretty good summary of her as a human.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10426/theresa_may/maidenhead/votes

Cougar
    outofbreath
    Free Member

Fantastic-

I genuinely thought that was the plan all along. Delay for a a few years. Show willing by banging an unacceptable deal bill through over and over. Then before the next election cancel Art 50, May apologises and resigns, taking all the blame for Brexit not happening. Job done.

A few people would shout establishment stitch up, but hey it was all May’s fault and she’s gone.

Quite surprised that’s not how it went down. It still might, but with a different patsy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

People posting scummy comments on social media about people they don’t know is what’s poisoning our society.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>There is only one party to blame for the poisoning of society, and that’s the self serving con artists called the Tory Party. </span><span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>If you are struggling to comprehend the bile for them and this women, read Hansard… there is plenty of recorded bile on there.</span>

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Northwind

“When 72 people died in a fire, in part caused by the combined efforts of a Tory council and tory profiteering, she remained unmoved.”

She listed the Grenfell enquiry as one of her accomplishments in office. I don’t think she could have done that if she was merely awful and shameless, she actually has to be crazy

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Goodbye May Goodbye’ is closed to new replies.