Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Good winter tyres? 26" Smorgasboard?
  • v666ern
    Free Member

Looking to change tyres on my 26″ anthem into something more winter ready that’s not a full on mud tyre. Currently running racing ralphs…which were terrible in last nights muddy night ride.

One one smorgasboards any good? Have the chunky monkey on the HT which is brilliant. thinking 2.2 wide as I don’t know what’ll squeeze in between the reba’s legs.

Any others/deals max £25!
    thank you

mboy
    Free Member

Errrr no, not IMO.

Good as a summer tyre in rocky conditions. Absolutely rubbish in the mud, or frankly, anything remotely soft or wet. Also, they’re very tall for their stated size so don’t leave much mud clearance in a lot of frames and forks anyway.

Spesh Purgatory seems to be becoming the defacto answer for an allround winter ready tyre that’s not a full on mud tyre. They’re pretty good in summer conditions too actually!

v666ern
    Free Member

Ah, alright then, I have a lot of time for eskars so im happy to plump for another spesh…anywhere for sale at less than £30?

bokonon
    Free Member

They will be an improvement over RR’s and they are cheap, I’ve got one up front in Reba’s and it fits.

No idea if they are the best option, but I’ve not had issues with them in the mud/loose.

v666ern
    Free Member

do they do 2.2’s or are you running 2.4’s?

bokonon
    Free Member

2.25″ Smorgasbords. (They are the 29″ version, so YMMV…)

mduncombe
    Free Member

I have just put smorgs (2.25″) on my anthem 29er and am very happy with them so far. No problems with fit, plenty of room on my 2012 anthem 29er.

I like them, in the greasy wet rocky, rooty trails of FOD, Ashton Court and Haldon they are much more confidence inspiring than the ralphs they replace. certainly sticking with them until it starts to look a bit more like california again in the summer.

not tried them in super gloopy mud but cant see they would be any worse than the ralphs.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

They work great in the mud imo loads of grip. Never understood the bad press they get on here.

Tried out my mud-x last night for the first time in a while and they were shocking comapred to the smog.

Painey
    Free Member

Just bought a Geax Datura to replace the Hans Dampf currently on the back. Only £13 from on one at the moment. Was going to go for a purgatory but for that price I thought might as well.

Northwind

Conti Baron is a great option if you want, basically, a mud tyre that isn’t just for mud- you get all the mud manners of a swampthing but far better grip on hard stuff, and faster rolling. It is a full mud, but not as limiting as most mud tyres are. Pricey, though!

dantsw13

Geax Datura on the front, still got my XKing rear on at the moment, and its still working nicely – may go for another Datura or my Medusa in the rear when it gets really gloopy, which it will 🙁

shermer75
    Free Member

Nobby Nics = awesome

tomtomthepipersson

Tried out my mud-x last night for the first time in a while and they were shocking comapred to the smog.

Really? My Smorgaswotsit is appalling in mud* – clogs up and slides around like a greased weasel. My Mud X on the other hand has oodles of grip in even the gloopiest mud.

The Smorg is coming off my hardtail tonight – and on goes the Mud X. Have been running a Mud X on my Trance all year. Great tyre (not just for mud) but a bugger to remove (on Arch rims) and the sidewalls seem a bit delicate.

* thick, clay based Chiltern mud btw

mudsoul
    Free Member

I found the Panaracer Trailrakers very nice in the mud. They shed brilliantly. 2.1 is a little skinny for my preference to run on the front though, but they’re a decent size for 2.1s.

v666ern
    Free Member

am i right in thinking running 2.3-2.4 is fine for the majority of riding and you only go 2.1 when its mega gloop/snow?

superfli
    Free Member

Just bought a Panaracer CG soft condition 2.25 from Wiggle £20(2 for one offer, split with a mate). They seem to have dropped that offer, but are still doing them for £28.

Wanted a fatter MudX, and it was cheap. First outing will be tonight. Looks good anyway 🙂

mudsoul
    Free Member

am i right in thinking running 2.3-2.4 is fine for the majority of riding and you only go 2.1 when its mega gloop/snow?

Maybe the narrower tires with a bit more pressure in them sink easier in the snow/mud and find traction in firmer ground below?

Also, I think Smorgasboards and Chunky Monkeys are great tires in all but the muddiest conditions.

mduncombe
    Free Member

* thick, clay based Chiltern mud btw

one mans mud is not the same as anothers, so I suspect soil differences around the UK can explain many of the differences of opinion on tyres. YMMV as they say.

superfli
    Free Member

Panaracer CG soft 2.25 was very good last night in QECP mud. very impressive grip on the edges. Only annoyance was I couldnt get it to inflate tubeless, even sticking a tube in, when you let the tube down you can here it pop off the rim (flow). Therefore I got my first puncture in months last night!

arachnidlover
    Free Member

I changed recently from Nobby Nics to Smorgasboards and I’m quite happy with them, fairly predictable tyre and it seems to shed the mud fine. I went from the “trail extreme” dual compound version. Hopefully they’ll see me through Winter and then back onto the Nobby Nics.

dantsw13

Id stay with the Smorgs for summer too!!!

plyphon
    Free Member

Going to buy the dual compound one for the front tonight, my performance nobby nic is suicide right now so going to stick that on the back. For £20 I can argue, even if it 100 grams heavier (will take less donuts next ride to compensate.)

tizzzzle
    Free Member

+1 for Conti Barons 2.35.

Work a treat in the gloopy mudfest that is the Chilterns at the moment

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Apologies for the hijack. Any opinion on Gato’s or Beavers for winter?

v666ern
    Free Member

FOD mud, it’s not the worst! Just found an old eskar in the shed so ill pop that one on and give it a go

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Used smorg for summer was pretty good, rubbish in mud. It’s winter, purgatory, butcher, high roller Hans dampf ect big nobby tyres. I’ve got a purg front High roller rear, seems good so far.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Good winter tyres? 26" Smorgasboard?’ is closed to new replies.