Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Good value UST tyres choices please
  • swisstony
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve always used 2.5 High Rollers but fancy shedding a few pounds so am looking for something a bit lighter but not too light that they pinch, still at least a 2.3 and also something that’s not £35+

I know i can get 2.35 HR’s which are top of the list at the mo but what else do people favour?

ta

solamanda
    Free Member

As you said, I run 2.35 standard single ply non-ust highrollers + stans. Works a treat for an xc bike.

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks, sorry should have said i have used non ust’s before but i’m looking for ust at the mo.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

For which bike?

scruff
    Free Member

Bonty Jones ACX TLR, Ive been running them for a couple of months now with latex on 819s. Very good all rounders, replaced my too slow High Roller USTs. Grippy enough, quick rollingish not too heavy or too light. Im getting some more for my other bike.

http://bontrager.com/model/02863/en

racing_ralph
    Free Member

thats what i use and they are v.good. The side nobles are a little flexy on hardpack though

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks, i’ve got a bonty to try, off you actually Rob, bit i haven’t fitted it as i thought the sidewall was a bit thin, i’ll try it on the front though if i can repair it.

they will be for my prophet and stiffee on mavic crossmax’s and 819’s, riding in the peaks, fast and clumsily!

mboy
    Free Member

Another vote for Jones ACX 2.35″ here. Light and very grippy for a tyre its size, surprisingly rolls pretty well too, which you wouldn’t think looking at it!

Don’t know where’s the cheapest, but pretty sure I saw them for about £22.50 each somewhere online.

Otherwise as Solamanda says, 2.35 Single Ply High Rollers would be just the job.

scruff
    Free Member

I got mine from Swinnertons.

DezB
    Free Member

I found the Bontys too puncture prone personally. I’d stick with Maxxis or Hutchinsons and take the weight penalty.

scruff
    Free Member

DezB, which Bonty tyre, I was thinking about possibly getting some of the narrower ACXs for the front.

househusband

The Bontagers are not UST tyres and do not have the reinforced carcass that UST offers. I tried the ACX’s and shredded the rear on the first rocky patch I came to; I am 15st+ so that may be a factor – perhaps suited to more delicate riders?

zokes
    Free Member

Whilst I liked the grip and lightness of the Bonties as well, I too found they puncture and tear very easily. Sadly, they’re too wussy for North Wales slate…

DezB
    Free Member

DezB, which Bonty tyre, I was thinking about possibly getting some of the narrower ACXs for the front

ACX TRs and XR TRs – Mud-X fine, they’re a different compound.
    Yes, the ACXs are light, but you compromise strength.

Others have had different experience, but I got 5 punctures on one ride. That’s more than in 3 years with Larsens, MudX and Hutchs.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Just typed a reply and it dissapeared so hopefully this won´t be a repeat post!

Using Bonty Big Earl 2.35 wet tubeless ready on 819 rims and I reckon they´re great. Riding about 4 or 5 times a week on lots of big rocky descents at the moment and only had 2 issues.
    1. That claggy clay-mud. They hate it and the lack of grip is scary!
    2. Due to the above reason I dropped the front pressure to stupidly low pressures on one bit. Forgot to inflate again and jumping off a rock it burped all the air our. Inflated fine with a hand pump though.

There´s a lot of wear on the back but it´s seen a lot of riding at the moment.

P.S. If you want to see my burp it´s here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nFRP-c8iFg&feature=channel_page

daveevs
    Free Member

Having had both Hi Rollers and ACX, I’d say I prefer the Rollers. Just that little more grip and more predictable breakaway. ACXs are well fast mind.

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks all, i’ve got an ACX so i’ll try that out but only on the front. I’ll look at the Big Earl’s (i’ve got some 2.5 non UST’s in those) but i think i’ll be sticking with good ole HR’s!

redthunder
    Free Member

I’ve brand new Nobbly Nic UST for sale, bristol area.

Make me a offer 🙂 Anyone, make me a offer. I dont use UST at all.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’d stick with the 2.35 high roller UST’s (I have the LUST version), they come up nice and light c730g iirc.

Remember the bonty tyres are tubless “ready” rather than proper UST although not sureif this to just get round the mavic patent?

househusband

Remember the bonty tyres are tubeless “ready” rather than proper UST although not sure if this to just get round the mavic patent?

No, they are two distinct systems. Tubeless ready tyres do not have totally airtight (non-porous) carcass construction and need sealant do make them airtight, and also to fully seal the bead. UST tyres are much more robust and do weigh more, but are totally airtight – you can actually run them without sealant but most folk do to seal thorns, etc. The bead that seals the tyre to UST rim is probably also covered by the UST patent.

MrNutt
    Free Member

get the HR LUST’s, they are spot on, mud, roots, hardpack, rock, everything, just great tyres.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Ah – always wondered what the difference was, so in essence the tubless ready is really no better than a normal tyre? For the record I run my UST high rollers without sealant as I don’t normally encounter thorns on the trail – yet to have a puncture in 1.5 years.

househusband

…in essence the tubless ready is really no better than a normal tyre?

I suspect that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and I think that the bead on tubeless ready tyres might be close(r) to the propreitary Mavic UST bead.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

cheapest i’ve seen are the Halo Choir Master UST 2.35 for £20 on CRC, looks like a good alrounder

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Good value UST tyres choices please’ is closed to new replies.