Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • good value helmets
  • Premier Icon howsyourdad1

Hi!

I’m on the hunt for a new helmet. I have a POC trabec now and like it, but it has taken a hit and i can’t wear glasses with it. 4 years old too.

Anyhow, aren’t helmets expensive nowadays! I know it is of course worth paying for good protection, I like my brain, but are there any models around that perhaps fly under the radar a little that give great value and protection?

It’s for winch and plummet/ all mountain riding, so it doesn’t need to be E-bike specific 🙂

Premier Icon weeksy

Scott, Ebay. massive reductions.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

All helmets meet the minimum protection standards

After that it’s fit, ventilation and weight. I found just trying loads on helped me find the right one

Premier Icon lunge

Carnac on PX, as above, they all meet the same safety standards.

Premier Icon weeksy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313&_nkw=scott+helmet&_sacat=0

I bought the girly looking purple one… it’s a bit girly i admit… but effective.

Premier Icon jkomo

Decathlon do a Good looking half shell.
    Can anyone recommend a good full face for uplift duties?
    The MET parachute I have has taken a few knocks- it doesn’t look damaged but I keep crashing so… it’s now £200 so I thought maybe go cheaper and burlier.

Premier Icon weeksy

BLuegrass from Wiggle. Really nice and comfortable. Not light as it’s a proper full-face.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1

Yes this gets mentioned all the time. But some offer more protection than others. More coverage, more protection, for example …. shirley.

After that it’s fit, ventilation and weight

Aware of that. Do you know of any that are good value? 😀

Premier Icon Tim
    Free Member

I’ll add:

Any good deals on an open face MIPS (or similar concept) technology

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Aware of that. Do you know of any that are good value?

I’ve broken 3 helmets over the years. I pay whatever it costs to protect my head.

Premier Icon Superficial
    Free Member

Yes this gets mentioned all the time. But some offer more protection than others. More coverage, more protection, for example …. shirley.

Yeah I’m skeptical of this too. I’m sure all helmets meet the very low bar for basic protection. Experienced manufacturers can also build in extra protection / features that they believe (with their experience and whatever testing they do) will help. MIPS is a good example of this. I suspect it helps but it’s not been proven AFAIK.

I’ve never seen a head-to-head (arff) crash-dummy style test of different helmets though. I bet there are huge differences between brands. And I bet there are some fashion-focussed brands who might eschew safety in lieu of style. Having said that, the current style of ‘Enduro’ helmets have much more coverage than we had 10 years ago, which must be a good thing as far as protection is concerned.

Premier Icon DezB

My son’s got the budget Giro Fixture (with MIPS if you’re bothered about that) – looks great and even though it’s only one-size-fits-all it fits me and him really well.

[edit]glad to see you taking my advice, btw 😛
    [edit]oh, and the current helmet is a replacement under Giro’s crash scheme, cos he did test the previous one and it saved his nut from a nasty collision with a rock at BPW

Premier Icon howsyourdad1

I’ve broken 3 helmets over the years. I pay whatever it costs to protect my head.

So you automatically buy the most expensive full face on the market and wear it all the time? Why so tetchy?

Cheers @dezb and @weeksy helpful and good attitude as always 👍👌

Premier Icon submarined

The ‘all meet the same standard’ thing is nonsense. A car has to meet a minimum standard to pass an MOT. That doesn’t mean all cars with an MOT are as mechanically sound as each other.
    Hence things like that American uni safety test being useful (I’ve forgotten which I’ve it was!)

I paid more for my current one and got a Tectal, which I love, but at the time tried on loads of others. Out of them, the Leatt DBX (3, I think, whichever the to one was) felt really nice, fitted well, was well vented and had a peak that was Full Enduro compatible. I’ve seen them recently for about 60/70 Quid which seems a good deal.
    Bell Forty was nice too, CRC quite often have a few of them. As well as whatever the latest iteration of the IXS Trail is. I’ve tried on most of them over the years and owned one of them, and all were a really nice balance of comfort, venting and performance.

Premier Icon lunge

Well, maybe, but manufactures aren’t allowed to claim increased safety, only that they can meet the standards. Now, the cynic in me says that you build a helmet to the required standards and then either make it look good or make it  more airy/lighter.

I understand the temptation to spend more as it “must” give more protection, but I’m not actually sure that’s the case.

Premier Icon davea37

In the classic recommend-what-you’ve-got tradition: Bontrager Rally. Less than a hundred quid, good coverage, nice and comfortable.

Helmet Review: Bontrager Rally MIPS vs Specialized Ambush

Premier Icon feed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313&_nkw=scott+helmet&_sacat=0

I bought the girly looking purple one… it’s a bit girly i admit… but effective.

Thanks for the recommendation weeksy, arrived this morning, great fit, bargain price.

Premier Icon weeksy

Pleasure. I wore my one yesterday

Premier Icon citizenlee
    Free Member

I love my IXS Trail RS, but if I had to replace it I’d probably go for the Giro Fixture.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

Mines a Bell 4Forty MIPS, just got 2019 colours and it was <£50.

But then I’ve got an XL Giro/Bell/661 shaped head so my options are fairly limited.

Is perhaps a true statement, but the inference isn’t. My giro roadie helmet is tiny compared to the 4Forty, but both come from the same manufacturer and meet the same standards. If I was going to crash, I’d wear the Bell. If I was going to sweat for 6+ hours on a bike that (touch wood) I’ve never crashed harder than an SPD moment at the lights in 17 years ownership, I’d take the Giro.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.