Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Undershort/liner recommendations for baggies?
  • hollyboni
    Free Member

I’m looking for recommendations for good undershorts that will provide comfort on 3.5-4 hour rides.

I have Endura Hummvee lite shorts. They came with super basic Endura liners, I think the cheapest ones that they make. They were actually pretty darn comfortable, but only for about 1-1.5 months, after that the padding packed out and the comfort was gone. Then I bought these Decathlon 900 gel undershorts. I’ve heard good things about them, but for me they didn’t work out at all. They’re so thick that I can’t feel the shape of the saddle at all, and when I pedal I think I can feel the gel layer moving around between my bum and the seat. They don’t feel anywhere near as comfortable as the basic Endura liners (when they were new), and things get real sweaty when i’m wearing the Decathlon liners.

I’ve been looking at the Endura Singletrack liners that have their 500 series pad in them, are they any good? Any other recommendations?
    BTW I use a WTB Volt saddle, I think it’s a pretty good fit for my backside.

Tracey
    hollyboni
    Free Member

Pretty good price too, thanks!

nixie

For long rides I’ve been finding bibs more comfortable. Morvello the current choice.

hollyboni
    Free Member

For long rides I’ve been finding bibs more comfortable. Morvello the current choice.

Never tried bibs, why do you find them more comfy? I’ve heard that a benefit is that they don’t move up and down because of the straps, but to be honest I can’t remember that ever happening with baggies and undershorts. Any other benefits? Do you go bib and baggie or just bib? 🙂

mcnultycop

I just bin the liners and wear bibs under baggies. They stay in place and the pads are inevitably better than liners.

hollyboni
    Free Member

I just bin the liners and wear bibs under baggies. They stay in place and the pads are inevitably better than liners.

Are bibs + baggies hotter than liners + baggies, or no significant difference? Where I live the summers are quite hot, 33-34C isn’t uncommon. I think what i’m combating most is sweat to be honest…

I was mainly looking at the Endura Singletrack liner because in theory it uses the same pads as some of their decent looking bibs. Still not top of the line stuff tho (according to their specs).

kiwijohn

I’ve got the Endura bibs with cargo pockets. They’re ace. Thinner than regular Lycra so not hot. Tried the bladder in them, but it’s like an ice pack in the middle of your back.

hollyboni
    Free Member

I’ve got the Endura bibs with cargo pockets. They’re ace. Thinner than regular Lycra so not hot. Tried the bladder in them, but it’s like an ice pack in the middle of your back.

Which model is that exactly? The Singletrack bib liner?

kiwijohn

Yep. That’s it.

hollyboni
    Free Member

So same pad as the Singletrack liner (which is good news). Decisions, decisions…

FOG

I think bums must be as varied as heads which makes recommendations difficult. I just can’t get on with bibs, either as unders or on a road bike .I find having my nethers pulled up sharply very uncomfortable yet I really like the Decathlon inners somebody else found a pain. Unfortunately even if you can try them in a shop there is no indication of how they will be on s 5 hour ride.

hainman
    Free Member

I bought my humvees and they came with click liners which is handy as I have another pair of Endura shorts with same click systems

hollyboni
    Free Member

I bought my humvees and they came with click liners which is handy as I have another pair of Endura shorts with same click systems

I have the Hummvees too, but as I said while I liked the stock liners, the padding packed out in them after about 1-1.5 months of use. I don’t even use the click system tho, I feel more comfortable if the liners are a bit higher up than the shorts.

I think bums must be as varied as heads which makes recommendations difficult. I just can’t get on with bibs, either as unders or on a road bike .I find having my nethers pulled up sharply very uncomfortable yet I really like the Decathlon inners somebody else found a pain. Unfortunately even if you can try them in a shop there is no indication of how they will be on s 5 hour ride.

Yeah I guess it’s like asking for saddle recommendations. I guess I just don’t want to spend 60-90 pounds on something that might not even work out, but it seems like there is no other way. I’m leaning towards the Enduras because I at least know their lower end liner did work for me (for a while) and i’m familiar with their sizing. Although i’ve heard the sizing is all over the place.
    Now i just need to decide between bibs vs liners… My only problem is all that extra material on the bibs look scary. I don’t live in the UK so i’m not familiar with the climate there but the summers are pretty darn miserable here.

joebristol

I have humvees with the liners that came with them. I found them ok for a while, but recently I’ve struggled with them and over a 40km trail centre ride ended up quite sore.

I’ve started wearing my DHB Lycra road shorts under the humvee baggy outer shorts and they’ve been so much better. They’re not wildly expensive and the longest ride I’ve done in them is about 50k off-road – dhb (and other brands) sell similar stuff with even better padding in that is meant to be better for all day riding.

I’ve not tried bibs but never had an issue with waist shorts staying up or digging in uncomfortably so not bothered either way. Plus bibs look ridiculous and I assume make it harder to go to the loo whilst out riding?

Edit – to add – if you aren’t using it already, chamois cream really helps on longer rides….

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/legwear/?ea=4294789716&o=2

In terms of sizing I went medium – I’m about a 33” waist measured – but I’m quite stocky. I found the large just had too much material in it for me.

hollyboni
    Free Member

I haven’t used chamois cream yet. I’m a bit of a noob really, I only started doing 1.5+ hour rides regularly last summer, before that I was in just regular underwear. I’ll order some when I buy the bibs/liners.

Yeah I haven’t had issues with the liners/undershorts digging into my waist, and I don’t think i’ve ever adjusted them mid ride. They don’t seem to slide up or down for me, they just stay in one place. That’s what i’m trying to find out, if there are any advantages to bibs other than that.

reeksy

I read about bikepackers wearing good merino undies and using a leather saddle is better than chamois. Tried it and it seems to work.
    …but then I’ve yet to ride a bike with a saddle that hurt so I might not be the best judge.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Undershort/liner recommendations for baggies?’ is closed to new replies.