Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Good Turn by Turn Navigation GPS
  • fakiee
    Free Member

Thinking of getting the Garmin Edge 1000 performance bundle. I want to use it to for leading 30+ miles rides with a group of 5+ people, strava uploads and personal performance . (I’ve tried using my iphone for tunr by turn nav and it didn’t end well).

Any reason I shouldn’t go for the 1000? Are there similar, better brands for less, or a cheaper Garmin? Be nice to have all the HRM and cadence stuff as its expensive separately and I will use it on long rides.

Also Wondered if it can be used for walking/hikes/car as well?

Happy Friday!
    Andy

scotroutes

Considered an Oregon?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Mio? I have the 505 unit which is a bit pricy but comparable in price/tech level to the 1000. Mate has a Garmin and it does seem to throw a wobbly when in urban areas. The Mio is great to use, reliable (so far) and has some nice features like WiFi etc.
    The route construction on the website can be a little irritating if you don’t get the settings right first (wants to direct you down odd cycleways rather than roads unless you turn that setting off).
    Doesn’t use OS mapping though if thats important, which it may well be for mtb routes. Mine is mainly for road use.

Also, i had an issue with my original unit. Long story but had it one yr and it stopped obtaining satellite lock. Took it back to Halfords who buggered me around for a month before giving me a shop display model, which never worked properly. I contacted Mio direct, about getting it repaired and they came straight back asking for my address and would post me a brand new one no questions asked.
    When it arrived it was the top of the range 505 with full European mapping and all the extra bits like cadence counter, HR monitor etc.
    So, customer service is great.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Update: just had a look on the Mioshare website and it uses OpenStreet and OpenTopo(graphical) mapping. Personally find the open street great for road ride planning, not used the topo although a quick glance shows it displays contour lines & altitudes.

fakiee
    Free Member

Thanks, i’ll have a look at Mio

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Good Turn by Turn Navigation GPS’ is closed to new replies.