• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Good quality approach shoes?
  • RustySpanner

For my wife…..

Currently wearing Mammut and quite happy with the fit. Raichle, Asolo and Hanwag also fit her well.

Berghaus/old Brasher too wide.

Will be used for low level walks, 3 season hill walking/scrambling, basically anything that doesn’t require a more substantial boot.

The Mammut have lasted very well, just looking for alternatives as we’re not too well up on current stuff.

Christmas present so cost not really an issue in this case.

Thanks in advance!

jimmy

Well I like Scarpa. Had the crux and now have what appears to be a cheaper, slimmed down version which works well for it.

ajantom

510 Aescent or Tennie.

The Aescent is a but lighter, but still a great walking and scrambling shoe (the styling is a bit 80s running shoe though!)

My wife’s got a pair of the Tennies and loves them.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

I have a pair of Scapa Oxygen GTX approach shoes that are soooooo  comfortable, like a pair of old slippers.  Quite a narrow fit though – I had to go up a size.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of Haglöfs for a few years now, and they’re excellent. (If they fit your feet, obviously! )

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Garmont Dragontail LT is my current shoe of choice for summer mountain days, scrambling and general instructor work outdoors. Very comfortable out of the box, nice and nimble for places like the Cuillins. They come in a GTX version, and also a beefier ‘Mountain’ option as well.

jimmy

510 Aescent

I have these too but feels like stealth rubber wears out too quickly

onehundredthidiot

Haglofs got in the sale. Done a season of dofe expeds still good. Feel like light trainers.

mrb123
    Free Member

La Sportiva Boulder X. Available as a shoe or mid height boot.

convert

Feel like light trainers.

To be fair looking at them most of their models don’t appear to be much more than remarketed trainers. Nothing wrong with that as long as you appreciate what you are buying.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Also using the Garmont this year, also in outdoor ed. Seem well made and a step up from my previous Scarpa.

lunge

Depends on how tough you need them to be. I’ve recently moved to tough trail running shoes, mainly from the Asics Clearance store, https://outlet.asics.com/gb/en-gb/.

bonni

La Sportiva have served me well. TX2 and TX3 are good.

I’ve also had Salomon, Scarpa and one pair of Clarks, which have all been OK. I tend to avoid Merrell as I wrecked some in one month (in the Alps though).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Salomon X Ultra

They don’t win the sitting in a pub with a down jacket ‘look at me I’m a hardcore outdoors person’ war as some of the brands above but they are good

Personally I wouldn’t buy any as a present they all have such different fit

DezB
    Free Member

Innov8 are the best I’ve owned.

DrJ

No need for approach shoes. Just wear your retreat shoes backwards!

footflaps

I’m a big 5.10 fan for approach shoes, their grip is in a league of it’s own. Yes the rubber wears quicker than other shoes, but I generally trash the uppers / rands at the same rate, so they don’t last any shorter than normal. Currently using the new Camp 4s for approach shoes, used them walking in the Alps and UK.

slowoldman

Haglofs Vertigo here. Good quality uppers which will stand being resoled. But nothing has ever been as good as North Face Builderings which were discontinued some years ago much to my annoyance.

TomB

Very pleased with Salewa’s shoes, had 2 different versions, very comfy, lasted well. Just got some Salomon XUltra GTX in the sales, seem great so far. General Lake District walking.

Cougar

Salomon all the way for me.  Comfiest footwear I’ve ever owned, I’m on my third pair now.  Get whatever’s on offer at Go Outdoors.

Yak

Salomon too. Used to always be the Exit Low, but now I’m  on my 2nd pair of alp x ltr gtx’s. I get just over 2 years out of them wearing daily and ideal for approaching the school/shops/pub as well as the odd crag.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Good quality approach shoes?’ is closed to new replies.