• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Caher.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Good on you France (World Cup content)
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Just read this article about how several French cities are boycotting the World Cup (ie, no streaming of games in public spaces) because of the human right’s issues, exploitation of workers and corruption (amongst other things).

I wonder if this might just spread? TBF I am conflicted – I love the World Cup but equally making a stand against what has happened in order to stage this edition is surely a good thing?

zbonty

Good on them. I’m a casual footy fan at best. Enjoyed the Euros but the Qatar WC holds no interest to me because it just stinks.

pondo

Fair play, I’m down with that.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Hummel (Danish kit provider) have coloured their logos on the kits so they’re not visible as they didn’t want to be seen advertising there.

IHN

Good on them. I’m a casual footy fan at best. Enjoyed the Euros but the Qatar WC holds no interest to me because it just stinks.

This.

2tyred

My life has been marked out in World Cups, but god I hope this one falls on its arse.

I’d love to say there’s no way I’m going to watch any of it but I know I probably will. But I want it to fail so much.

The ever-brilliant David Squires produced one of his best-ever strips today – https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/oct/04/david-squires-on-going-to-the-match-2022-ls-lowry

It’s up there with Poppygate.

VISIT TOTALITARIAN STATE

csb

Shame a few teams didn’t boycott

2tyred

Shame a few teams didn’t boycott

Italy did. Forza Italia!

binners

Hummel (Danish kit provider) have coloured their logos on the kits so they’re not visible as they didn’t want to be seen advertising there.

They’ve also made the kit black…

“We have made Denmark’s third jersey all black – the colour of mourning – to honour the migrant workers that have died building Qatar’s World Cup stadiums, as well as the families left behind,” added Hummel.

The Qatar world cup is a disgrace. A triumph of corruption. As well as the issue with e migrant workers/bonded slaves used to build the things… air conditioning stadiums in the middle of the ****ing desert? Whats the carbon footprint of that then? Absolute insanity!

As with most things in life, ask what Eric thinks…

The Daily Mash summed up my own feelings on the matter, if the World Cup had been on when its meant to be on

Britain could be watching World Cup now if not for f**king Qatar

johndoh
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be typical of England to go on and win it.

funkmasterp

The fact that any team has chosen to play there speaks volumes. Is it England who will be wearing armbands? An utterly pathetic move that basically does nothing. The best way to protest such a massive event would be to not take part in it whilst continually highlighting the issues at every opportunity.

Caher

Well the last world cup was held in Russia and they’ve killed a lot of people and is a pretty awful place to live if you’re not heterosexual. It’s FIFA and especially Blatter that’s to blame. The French decision although commendable is a little late.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.